New Home Internet Provider Coming to The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2021, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts
Default The unintended consequences of switching to streaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Comcast works great but their pricing can be brutal for internet only. It just went from $59.99 to $75.95.
Companies with two different revenue streams, (cable video and internet) with revenue and profitability growth goals, are being forced to change their pricing structure to increased internet due to increase in streaming use and the reduction of cable use. Yes, capitalistic innovation is great, roku was created to compete with cable through internet,
but roku and similar aggregators don't care about the cost of the internet access, not their product offering. So with growing internet demand from all device types, and the increase bandwidth/speed requirements, requiring upgrading equipment in the distribution network from the internet access point to the house, prices to recover the cost have to go up in free enterprise.

No different than health care providers with government pricing and commercial/private pricing, where changes in one can effect the pricing of the other, to maintain the provider profitability or cashflow. . .

finance/marketing/analyst guy
Old 04-11-2021, 10:59 AM

here's my 2 cents .having been in the field for 41 years placing what ever the product was at the time unless t moble is placing the fiber them selves ,digging up all the yards and placing new inner duct ,pulling in new fiber,new nodies. there getting it wholesale from , century link,comcast or who ever is all ready in your area and using there system.don't be hoodwinked by there bs....

Last edited by SKIMAN; 04-11-2021 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIMAN View Post
here's my 2 cents .having been in the field for 41 years placing what ever the product was at the time unless t moble is placing the fiber them selves ,digging up all the yards and placing new inner duct ,pulling in new fiber,new nodies. there getting it wholesale from , century link,comcast or who ever is all ready in your area and using there system.don't be hoodwinked by there bs....
Technically, that's not what is happening. T-Mobile is NOT selling wired/fiber/cable service for their home internet offering. They are selling internet via cellular service, and are delivering it on brand new infrastructure that they are building themselves.

This is a significant change in internet service delivery. Until now, high speed delivery of internet service over cellular connections was often constrained by the bandwidth capacity of the early cellular networks. The introduction of 5G technology vastly increases both speed and bandwidth capacity of cellular networks. T-Mobile is betting they can switch from cable systems to over-the-air (wireless/radio/cellular) systems and continue to grow their business with new offerings.

And, fortunately, there is much more competition among the "phone" companies than between the cable companies (I won't go into a long rant about how governments have created protected monopolies for cable systems.) The increased competition means that the cellular phone companies are seeing the light of what their customers want and are starting to come around with things like "contract free" and more competitive pricing. (The T-Mobile Home Internet offering has both of those features.) I'll be delighted when I no longer have to do the yearly beg-for-a-discount" ritual from my cable/internet company.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:08 PM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIMAN View Post
I'm trying to figure out what you are alluding to. T-Mobile is not fiber, to begin with.

And I am a real-world user of the T-Mobile home 4G internet alongside the CenturyLink product in the Villages of Belvedere right here in TV.

And my comparison is - there is no comparison. T-Mobile home just works better. Streaming is faster and more reliable than CenturyLink.

Of course, if it gets market saturation, as it may, the experience may change.

And the T-Mobile device uses an entirely different technology than a 5G hotspot.

End of story.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:01 AM

we have t-mobile for phone and frankly it's too weak and spotty within TV so we are hesitant to stay with them for Internet service. so I hear a lot of opinions back and forth on home internet - Comcast, Centurylink, T-mobile....because its time for us to decide. sigh sigh sigh.

Yoda
Old 07-08-2021, 06:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Oh, I hope that is true for my area! Choice right now is Comcast or very slow DSL from CenturyLink. Comcast works great but their pricing can be brutal for internet only. It just went from $59.99 to $75.95.
They didn't raise the price. You simply allowed your year (or 2-year) agreement to expire, and now they're charging you the normal price. You were paying a discount.

Give them a call, be willing to sit on hold for awhile and get frustrated pushing buttons on your phone to get a live person (1-800-xfinity).

Tell them you know the plan is $50/month for new customers, and YOU are giving THEM two options:

They can cancel your service, at which point you're now a new customer and will sign up again with the $50 price.

or they can just renew your recently-expired agreement.

The extra you're paying is probably your modem rental. I own my modem, so I don't pay that extra $9/month.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:36 AM

I was paying $49 a month for WiFi only with xfinity. Price jumped to $66. When I called I got the same response that my promotion was over. I replied that I would look for another provider and was out on hold. When agent came back on she said how about $35 a month? I asked if my speed would be the same and she said yes. So $49 to $66 to $35. Go figure.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I called T-Mobile and they confirmed that the cost is $60.00 per month, 100 mbs. speed, no contract, and there is no charge for their "modem" which is a "gateway" device with both modem/router.

It's the combo device that concerns me. We have been streaming since early 2015. Started out with the Comcast Arris Gateway but the signal from it wouldn't reliably reach the LR, where the main TV is. A computer tech suggested we upgrade to a more powerful router. So did that but then the Comcast Gateway and our new Asus router had a conflict (NAT?) which regularly led to kicking one computer or another off the network. So we got rid of the Comcast gateway device and bought a Motorola (modem only) on line. Everything has worked perfectly since then.

So I'm concerned about T-Mobile's gateway combo modem/router causing conflicts with the router. Anyone have any experience or ideas about that?
A combo device should not be an issue. I do agree, in most cases the wireless system they provide is not the best - it's just adequate. Simply get a good router (the Orbi mesh system is phenomenal), and turn off wireless on the provided combo unit. Only use that system as the modem.

If you leave both systems on, they can conflict with one another causing a lower signal for both systems. Most new routers have a scan feature to look for other wireless bands in the area and then select the least used one (this includes looking at what the neighbors are using). There are also numerous free phone apps to see what channels are in use for both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. Find a free channel, and set the router to that.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:09 AM
Sage

We went in person to the Leesburg office and complained about the internet service going from $59.99 to $75.95. After a few minutes of "studying" our account they came up with a "discount" that brought the bill to $60.00 even. So we're paying one cent more per month than last year.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
They didn't raise the price. You simply allowed your year (or 2-year) agreement to expire, and now they're charging you the normal price. You were paying a discount.

Give them a call, be willing to sit on hold for awhile and get frustrated pushing buttons on your phone to get a live person (1-800-xfinity).

Tell them you know the plan is $50/month for new customers, and YOU are giving THEM two options:

They can cancel your service, at which point you're now a new customer and will sign up again with the $50 price.

or they can just renew your recently-expired agreement.

The extra you're paying is probably your modem rental. I own my modem, so I don't pay that extra $9/month.
Just an FYI... they don't consider you a "new" customer until you have been disconnected for a specific period of time. It's either 90 days, or 6 months - I can't recall. It's to prevent exactly the scenario described above. Most folks don't want to disconnect for any extended period of time.

My 2 year period recently expired. I called them just prior to it expiring. My bill was going to go from $130/month to $175/month. I had 200Mbps internet and the 220 channel package. The best they could offer was $155/month, even when I threatened to cancel. Their cost to drop to just internet 200Mbps was $75/month (which doesn't include the modem or taxes).

I cancelled and got CenturyLink Fiber (now called Quantum Fiber) 1Gbps (yes, that is 1,000Mbps!) for $65/month. No taxes, guaranteed for life price as long as I stay with them. It includes the modem. For those that say 100Mbps is enough, it is, if you are only streaming on one device. The issue comes up when streaming HD or 4K content on multiple devices. The issue becomes one of bandwidth, not top speed.

After getting Quantum installed, I called to cancel, and of course they said they now had a better offer for me. Too late, I'm gone and done playing their games.

If you are a T-Mobile cell customer, you can get YouTube TV for $55/month for as long as you are with T-Mobile. That's a $10/month discount! You can also get Philo for only $10/month. Philo offers several channels we watch that are not on YouTube TV - The GameShow network, Hallmark channels, and several DIY channels.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmers View Post
If you are lucky enough to have CenturyLink fiber in your neighborhood they offer 1G (1000M/B) for $65 month all tax included. Typical speed runs 700 to 800 download and 800 to 900 upload.
What neighborhood are you in? Coming from an area that has Verizon Fios, I think anything that isn't in the area of gigabit speeds is archaic.
Closed Thread

Tags
required, villages, internet, home, 100mbps

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.