New Home Internet Provider Coming to The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2021, 07:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I am not sure who you are using for internet now but CenturyLink is available in your area via fiber optic cable to the house. You can get 100 megabits per second for $49 per month with CenturyLink's one-price-for-life offering (your costs will not change unless you change the service level). Given that a proven technology is available for less cost I am not sure I see the advantage of being an early adopter of 5G internet service. If you don't have any other options then I can see the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Eichaker View Post
That is brilliant!!! hope we can get it in Lake Deaton. Anyone know what areas are covered
Old 04-10-2021, 08:08 AM
Default Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Oh, I hope that is true for my area! Choice right now is Comcast or very slow DSL from CenturyLink. Comcast works great but their pricing can be brutal for internet only. It just went from $59.99 to $75.95.
Perhaps you should shop better. I use Comcast at $40 a month.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperguy View Post
Choice and competition is the only answer. These mega companies like Comcast and Time warner control everything including their programming. Try getting OAN or Newsmax on Comcast.
Newsmax is on Comcast - channel 1115
Old 04-10-2021, 08:17 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperguy View Post
Choice and competition is the only answer. These mega companies like Comcast and Time warner control everything including their programming. Try getting OAN or Newsmax on Comcast.
I get them on attNow
Old 04-10-2021, 08:26 AM

When enough regular customers leave, maybe they will change how they do business.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:01 AM
Default Internet Service

If you are lucky enough to have CenturyLink fiber in your neighborhood they offer 1G (1000M/B) for $65 month all tax included. Typical speed runs 700 to 800 download and 800 to 900 upload. We've had this service for more than 3 years, not one problem, the price is for Life.
We use YouTube TV, Netflix and Amazon Prime.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:09 AM
Sage

I called T-Mobile and they confirmed that the cost is $60.00 per month, 100 mbs. speed, no contract, and there is no charge for their "modem" which is a "gateway" device with both modem/router.

It's the combo device that concerns me. We have been streaming since early 2015. Started out with the Comcast Arris Gateway but the signal from it wouldn't reliably reach the LR, where the main TV is. A computer tech suggested we upgrade to a more powerful router. So did that but then the Comcast Gateway and our new Asus router had a conflict (NAT?) which regularly led to kicking one computer or another off the network. So we got rid of the Comcast gateway device and bought a Motorola (modem only) on line. Everything has worked perfectly since then.

So I'm concerned about T-Mobile's gateway combo modem/router causing conflicts with the router. Anyone have any experience or ideas about that?
Old 04-10-2021, 09:15 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I am not sure who you are using for internet now but CenturyLink is available in your area via fiber optic cable to the house. You can get 100 megabits per second for $49 per month with CenturyLink's one-price-for-life offering (your costs will not change unless you change the service level). Given that a proven technology is available for less cost I am not sure I see the advantage of being an early adopter of 5G internet service. If you don't have any other options then I can see the point.
I have Century Link in addition to the T-Mobile service. There is no fiber optic to most of the homes in TV. In Belvedere, where I am, the Fiber only goes to the swimming pool, then goes to the homes via POTS copper, two bonded pairs.

T-Mobile beats it pretty good and the CenturyLink modem I have to reset daily as my service goes from about 85 down to about 20. It is nerve-wracking. When it was installed I got about 140, but the installer said they'll never let me keep that. Sure enough, within a day I was down to about 85, which is all they 'guarantee; with the 100G service.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:31 AM

We have xfinity (Comcasst) and get Newsmax and OAN with no problem. We watch Newsmax probably more than any other program. I have trouble keeping Hulu up and running. Programs on it stop, go dark, and return to the home page. Pain in the keester to constantly be restarting with it repeating sometimes in a matter of seconds.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

CenturyLink would not be my first choice in an older area where they do not support fiber to the house. For the post I was responding to, the person does have fiber to the house. My service through CenturyLink is very reliable and they deliver the nominal download and upload bandwidth consistently. With the fiber to the house service, the "modem" is actually the ONT box on the outside of the house. You can use your own router or the CenturyLink router inside the house. In the last 7 years, I only remember a handful of interruptions and none were over a few hours. With 80 megabits per second, I have much more bandwidth than I can take advantage of. 80 megabits per second was the sweet spot in their one-price-for life offering (for us it is $45 per month including all taxes and fees).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarkwald View Post
I have Century Link in addition to the T-Mobile service. There is no fiber optic to most of the homes in TV. In Belvedere, where I am, the Fiber only goes to the swimming pool, then goes to the homes via POTS copper, two bonded pairs.

T-Mobile beats it pretty good and the CenturyLink modem I have to reset daily as my service goes from about 85 down to about 20. It is nerve-wracking. When it was installed I got about 140, but the installer said they'll never let me keep that. Sure enough, within a day I was down to about 85, which is all they 'guarantee; with the 100G service.

Last edited by tuccillo; 04-10-2021 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:07 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You can get 100mbps with Comcast for just $40/month, as long as you do auto-pay and paperless billing, and own the modem yourself instead of renting it. If you don't want them having access to your checking account, it's $50/month.

Just call them and tell them your plan was up for renewal, it automatically renewed at the higher rate. And that you feel you have two options:

You can cancel their service completely - and then call them to sign up as a new customer on the promotional rate...

or

They can just give you the promotional rate.

They'll give you the promotional rate.

You just have to jump through a couple of hoops every year, but the savings is worth the hour-long drudgery of being put on hold and transferred to half a dozen people.
Agree with above. One Comcast rep told me to always call in the 28th to the last day of the month. Don’t know why but it’s worked for years.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Funny how all these companies give the best deals to new customers. Faithful customers have to stay on the phone and beg for a decent price.
Nothing funny about it. It's called a promotion. It's not new, it's not unique to phone companies or internet services. Heck if you've ever signed up for ANY rewards card, ever, you know this. "Sign up for our card and get a FREE loaf of bread!" or sandwich, or your choice of hot coffees, or a pair of underwear, or a $5 coupon off your next visit, etc. etc. etc.

This is how they get you in the door.

If you want to keep a promotion that you KNOW is going to be cancelled at the end of the promotional period, then it's up to YOU to do the work to get it.

That's capitalism at its best.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJo View Post
When enough regular customers leave, maybe they will change how they do business.
Apparently a lot of customers are plain old sheep who will pay the increased price without batting an eyelash.

As a result they are ok with ripping off their existing customers.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:49 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,757 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Oh, I hope that is true for my area! Choice right now is Comcast or very slow DSL from CenturyLink. Comcast works great but their pricing can be brutal for internet only. It just went from $59.99 to $75.95.
$75 ? Been a customer for 18 years, decided to stream only and called Comcast to order internet service only..... the price I got was $94 a MONTH with all the tax and "fees" they add. If we KEEP our service which includes TV and, it's barely $30 more/ so just kept what we've had for years ! Certainly NEED some real competition aorund here for SURE ! !
Old 04-10-2021, 07:53 PM
Sage

When they billed the new rate and I called about it, a day or so later, a Comcast guy rang the doorbell and said he was going to check outside to see if our equipment was working okay. I never saw him outside at all, he just sat in his Comcast truck for a few minutes. I wonder what he was checking.
Closed Thread

Tags
required, villages, internet, home, 100mbps

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.