Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2018, 08:02 PM

They try and scare you so you will send money to them right away
Old 07-22-2018, 08:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
WHY doesn't our government do something about this invasion of our privacy? We are in our homes, not in public and shouldn't have to be disturbed by these calls. Our homes should be considered a private place and not assessable to all these calls. Once I'm home and close the door no one should be able to disturb me and my family.
You have the right to turn your phone off and not allow calls to go through. You have the right to block incoming calls, filter who gets to come through, and hang up on anyone you want to hang up, at any time, for any reason. You can also pay the phone company an extra fee to make your phone number unlisted, though that won't prevent robocalls.

There is no way for "government" to prevent people from dialing random numbers and ending up at your phone number. That is how robocalls typically work. They dial numbers til someone answers.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

NOMOROBO actually works

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-25-2018, 08:09 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

24 people have now been sentenced in India-based phone-scam case | Ars Technica

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-25-2018, 08:40 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Besides the IRS scam calls are the Social Security Association ? claiming my account's been compromised an if I don't call back and verify my SS number my personal accounts will be frozen by warrants and other great things.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:54 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have started scaming the scamers. Got the IRS call. Thanked them for calling and asked them where my refund was. Said I had the letter stating I had a $1400 refund and I wanted it now. Kept them going as they threatened to arrest me. Started to read a fake letter to them about my refund, finally told them sorry, I am deceased, this is the ghost of tax day past.

Then got the "your computer is broken, this is microsoft. Took them through "how do I log in?", how do I find this and that, wasted as much of their time as possible before I asked them "how microsoft was working so well on my Mac"?

It's fun, us retirees have to have something to amuse us. I think now I am on their do not call list.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:29 AM

When I recognize the number of a scammer, I answer Sumter County Sheriff's Department Fraud Division, Officer O'Malley, how can I help you. They usually don't call again.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:52 PM
Sage

After answering and before they go into their spiel, tell them that you are required to notify them that this call is being recorded. I've always gotten a quick hangup.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
NOMOROBO actually works
It does actually work. But not with CenturyLink land lines. And CenturyLink isn't interested in getting it to work.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
It does actually work. But not with CenturyLink land lines. And CenturyLink isn't interested in getting it to work.
I'm sorry but I disagree because my CenturyLink land line works with "nomorobo". "Do Not Call" registry is a joke that never worked. IMHO

Some calls sneak through on "nomorobo: but when I don't recognize the area code, I never pickup. If someone is legitimate in trying to reach me, leave a message.

On my cell, I constantly get calls from my old area code which I block but it appears to be a ever changing phone number.

I guess it's normal for people to want to answer the phone, as that was the norm back in our youth. I resist the urge to get up when I am watching television as 99% of the time, it's unimportant.

Shame on these scammers!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-26-2018, 02:49 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Anybody getting calls which leave voicemails "This is Antoine (or whoever) from the insurance department calling about your annuity."?

Of course I have no annuity....

I get them on my landline which receives from 6 to 12 junk calls per day. My phone announces the caller so I can mute it after the first ring without picking up.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-26-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I'm sorry but I disagree because my CenturyLink land line works with "nomorobo". "Do Not Call" registry is a joke that never worked. IMHO

Some calls sneak through on "nomorobo: but when I don't recognize the area code, I never pickup. If someone is legitimate in trying to reach me, leave a message.

On my cell, I constantly get calls from my old area code which I block but it appears to be a ever changing phone number.

I guess it's normal for people to want to answer the phone, as that was the norm back in our youth. I resist the urge to get up when I am watching television as 99% of the time, it's unimportant.

Shame on these scammers!!!
After reading your post, I went to the NOMOROBO web site once again to sign up. This is the message that I got:

Unfortunately, CenturyLink (Traditional Landline) does not support Nomorobo yet.

But there is something that you can do!

Please call the customer service number below and ask that they add Nomorobo to their service. The more people that call them, the better.
CenturyLink (Traditional Landline) Customer Service - 1-877-348-9007

Note: We have not stored your email and you won't hear from us again.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
When I have time I call Hajib back. Just play being so afraid of going to jail that they think they have a fish on the line. It’s usually the IRS wants you to pay by getting Target gift cards.

I realize some people are not aware of the scam but it amazes me that people buy into this.
I've heard that one before. It's hysterical. The IRS wants you to pay with gift cards? I love it.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:22 AM

Have a message "Screening for telemarketers. Please leave a message" and don't pick up if the number is not in my contacts. Our kids think it is rude but so be it.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
NOMOROBO actually works
I have been using Nomorobo for about a year now on my landline (my provider is Comcast). It does work pretty well. The phone will ring once. If it doesn't ring again, that means Nomorobo has blocked the call.

A few days ago I did get the scam "arrest" voice mail message left on my cell phone. Half of the voice mail was so garbled it was hard to understand what was being said. Oh well, come get me... 3 hots and a cot.

Tags
call, voicemail, number, phone, distorted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.