New insidious arrest threat phone scam

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2018, 07:15 AM

I’ve had them for about 6 months. Even told Sheriff office. They say ignore them. Mine mostly say that they are IRS and I am seriously behind in my taxes. They threaten jail. One call guy said I hit his car that day and I owed him payment of fixing it. Called Sheriff who said if he continued to call to let him know. I did talk to this one and told him I had called sheriff & they were monitoring my phone.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:25 AM

I get a kick out of these calls. I called my “IRS” back, in a panicked voice I told the, “I just paid you with my credit card yesterday,” He asked, how much did I pay? I said $738!! I gave you CC number and everything,,,”
Haven’t had a call since!
Old 07-30-2018, 07:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The best thing you can do is, don't answer if you don't recognize the phone #. As soon as you answer they'll know there's a real person there, even if it's a robo call, & they'll continue to call. If it's important they'll leave a voice mail. If you don't answer they'll quit after a while & if you don't want to listen to your phone ring just click once on your volume button on your phone & it'll stop ringing. Yea, that DO NOT CALL LINE is worthless, it doesn't work! These companies that call you are smarter than the DO NOT CALL CO. They just change their number! Just a suggestion, hope I've been of some help.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
When I have time I call Hajib back. Just play being so afraid of going to jail that they think they have a fish on the line. It’s usually the IRS wants you to pay by getting Target gift cards.

I realize some people are not aware of the scam but it amazes me that people buy into this.
You know the IRS doesn't do anything by phone especially personal information & that's what the IRS will ask for. They'll send you a registered letter & believe me you'll know it's the IRS.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I wouldn't call them back - sometimes these scams are coming from a masked phone number that pretends to be a different phone number. I've had calls to my house, with the caller ID saying they're - actually my own phone number. I've had calls from people who live in my town, and when I call the number back, they have no idea who I am, why I'm calling, and they never called me. It's called spoofing.

Best way to handle these calls is to hang up as SOON as you realize it's another fraud. Don't respond, don't acknowledge that you're the person they're looking for, don't negotiate, don't harrass, don't do anything. Just hang up.

"Hello, Jazuela?"
Me: "Who's calling?" (note I don't say "yes that's me.")
Them: "Oh there you are! Trying to catch up with you is like trying to catch an outfielder catching a baseball, hah hah!"
Me: HANG UP

Again, caller ID isn't helpful if it's a spoofed phone number, and you have no way of knowing for sure unless it's a phone number you recognize.
Also watch out for people that call you from some other country or a foreigner that sounds a little suspicious. They're good at saying, "Let me connect you to our agent & they can answer that for you". Guess what it'll be in India or somewhere like that & guess what on your next phone bill you'll be billed for 100, 150 or even $200. Don't ever answer a number you don't recognize, if it's important they'll leave you a voice mail. Yes, you're right, they'll call you from another phone #.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation Steps

Number 1. Do not answer or respond to any calls or the internet unless you know the source of the call. Number 2:
Here are some "Do Not Call" suggestions:
a. Registration on Do Not Call =888-382-1222
b. Fla State Attorney General =866-966-7226
c. On Line with FTC = FTC.gov/complaint
d. If IRs Scam Call = Tigta.gov
e. Local Police = Less change of action?

MOST IMPORTANT: iS NUMBER 1 ABOVE. jUST ANSWERING THE CALL OR RESPONDING CAN LEAD TO MORE PROBLEMS
..IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE CALLER OR MESSAGE ON INTERNET DON'T RESPOND.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,623 Times in 5,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
You know the IRS doesn't do anything by phone especially personal information & that's what the IRS will ask for. They'll send you a registered letter & believe me you'll know it's the IRS.
My experience with the IRS is different. I have received letters from the IRS, but never a registered letter. Always, a regular first class letter. Also, I have called them back and they did discuss my taxes on the phone. It is true though that I don't think they will call you first, and they will not do business by email. They always send you a letter which will have an address, a phone number, and a FAX number to contact them to resolve the issue. And, you can resolve tax issues with the IRS on the phone.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 07-30-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:01 AM
Default Robo calls a pain

I get calls telling me I have extreme pain and nothing seems to work. And they ask if that is right well who dont then they ask where my pain is I say very sincerely Its in my (A) hole and what can they do about it being very serious (sir im serious here) I say me too please help me what can I do. The next ones call about my internet I speak for a few then start asking them about what there wearing and other disgusting things being very serious. I love these calls and I feel free to say anything on my mind to these scammers. I hardly get any calls anymore
Old 07-30-2018, 09:29 AM

I get only about one robocall, whether scam or not , a month. My secret is that the number I give out to any business is my Magic Jack number, which I do not have plugged in so it does not ring. It does send an email saying I have a voice mail, but it gives the time of them, and the robocalls (almost 100 percent of them) only seem to leave a message if someone first picked up. Its $20 a year for Magic Jack and about $70 for the equipment (so $70 the first year only). The equipment is well worth it because it allows calls if your other phone(s) go down and allows free calls from the road, even when abroad where your cell may not work. Even Skype charges for calls to landlines but Magic Jack does not.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:08 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Absolutely report it to the IRS.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:15 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Count yourself lucky. I also have Magic Jack, but all my robo calls are coming in on my cell phone. I already have 94 robo calls for July. Interesting that they started when my provider was changed to Comcast. I did not change my phone number. Have had this number 20 years without one problem until now. I've written a letter to the Federal Trade Commission along with each of the phone numbers. Will post their response when I receive one.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My experience with the IRS is different. I have received letters from the IRS, but never a registered letter. Always, a regular first class letter. Also, I have called them back and they did discuss my taxes on the phone. It is true though that I don't think they will call you first, and they will not do business by email. They always send you a letter which will have an address, a phone number, and a FAX number to contact them to resolve the issue. And, you can resolve tax issues with the IRS on the phone.
You're exactly right RETIREDGUY, the only way they'll talk to you by phone is if you call them. First class letters is the way they mail you but I guess I had a special case that had to be settled in 4 days. Maybe that's why I got a registered letter. But you'r right what you said, thanks!
Old 08-03-2018, 09:52 AM

I received a similar call several months ago. The first call implied I would be arrested unless I responded. Then a later call said I would be arrested that day. I only LISTEN to the recording. If you answer and pretend you have a clever response your phone number is sold to more criminals to make more calls.
It’s amazing no legal or criminal action can be taken to stop this.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:17 PM

You're right. I get calls almost daily from Kentucky trying to sell me car insurance, and it is always from a new number, generally from a residence somewhere in the same area code. I must have a hundred blocked numbers by now.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:41 AM

Why don't you block the call?
Closed Thread

Tags
call, voicemail, number, phone, distorted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.