New name for Covid 19 = "European virus"

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2020, 04:45 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts
Default New name for Covid 19 = "European virus"

Andrew Cuomo labels coronavirus the 'European virus' in latest press briefing

Since the spread of the virus to most of the USA came from traveling New Yorkers, we can make up a new name too.

Travel From New York City Seeded Wave of U.S. Outbreaks - The New York Times

Last edited by GoodLife; 05-11-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:27 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

I am sticking with referring to it as the Chinese corona virus as it originated in China. In China last I heard they were referring to it as the Wuhan virus as it came from a lab in Wuhan.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-11-2020, 06:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,953 Times in 1,706 Posts

I am from Europe, I like the fact that no one country is being named, especially when we are still investigating the origin. It could be called “bat virus” if it did come from them.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:49 AM
Veteran member
Default Chinese Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Andrew Cuomo labels coronavirus the 'European virus' in latest press briefing

Since the spread of the virus to most of the USA came from traveling New Yorkers, we can make up a new name too.

Travel From New York City Seeded Wave of U.S. Outbreaks - The New York Times
Since the majority of the virus appeared world wide where there were large ethnic Chinese populations celebrating Chinese New Year and travelling around the world visiting family, then the only thing we need to determine is whether China spread this around the world deliberately or accidentally 👿👿
Old 05-12-2020, 06:56 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I am from Europe, I like the fact that no one country is being named, especially when we are still investigating the origin. It could be called “bat virus” if it did come from them.
Please. Molecular biologists have sequenced the genome of the virus and can trace the minute variations to the time and place of the very first human infections. That place is Wuhan China and currently the earliest date so far is November 17, 2019. China did not alert the world that the virus was passing human to human until January 21, 2019. They locked down Wuhan January 23 but by then, 7 million people, many already infected, had already traveled throughout China and all over the world. See NYT video below. The only thing we "don't know" is whether the virus jumped from animal to human at a Wuhan wet market or if an accidental release or infection occurred at the Wuhan virus lab. WE will find out.

How the Virus Got Out The New York Times 22 Mars 2020 - YouTube
Old 05-12-2020, 07:08 AM
Sage

Well, if we have to put it on people.... personally, I prefer to blame the bats. I understand the reason why we can’t eradicate this disease totally is because we can’t vaccinate the bats, even if we had a vaccine.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:14 AM

Actually, it was the Chinese tourists in Milan that caused the outbreak in Northern Italy. The wealthy like to come to Italy and fill up suitcases with fashion, jewelry and leather and they seeded the outbreak. Cuomo is Italian, so is he saying it should be called the Spaghetti virus?
Old 05-12-2020, 07:19 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Well, if we have to put it on people.... personally, I prefer to blame the bats. I understand the reason why we can’t eradicate this disease totally is because we can’t vaccinate the bats, even if we had a vaccine.
If it started at Wuhan wet market, I will blame the people who insist it's their right to continue eating bat soup and mixing live animals in cages stacked on top of each other which facilitates the viruses hoping from animal to human. This is not the first time.

Only problem with that theory is that the specific bat (horseshoe bat) lives in caves 600 miles from Wuhan and there are reports that none were ever kept at the wet market.

We do know that the Wuhan virus lab collected these bats and studied them in their lab.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:19 AM

I prefer the scientific acronym, Covid-19. Anything else is just a nickname.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:19 AM
Sage

I am reading a news source that says a 42 year old French fishmonger who was treated in December in Paris was tested and he was shown to have had Covid. He had not travelled and did not come in contact with people from China or Italy. They are investigating at this time. Also others too. I am not sure we are certain yet as to when this virus originated.

I think if we are too fixated on one idea, we may miss the real cause. It is nice to be able to point a finger, but I prefer to make sure we are pointing in the right direction.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:38 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
I am reading a news source that says a 42 year old French fishmonger who was treated in December in Paris was tested and he was shown to have had Covid. He had not travelled and did not come in contact with people from China or Italy. They are investigating at this time. Also others too. I am not sure we are certain yet as to when this virus originated.

I think if we are too fixated on one idea, we may miss the real cause. It is nice to be able to point a finger, but I prefer to make sure we are pointing in the right direction.
The fishmonger story only shows the virus was circulating in France 1 month before authorities previously thought. He didn't have to travel or come into direct contact with someone from China or Italy. We know that 100s of thousands of Chinese traveled all over the world before they locked down. It's 100% sure that he had contact with a human carrier, possibly asymptomatic, and that human carrier had contact with another carrier etc etc. The original carriers all came from Wuhan China, it's been genetically traced.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:25 AM
Sage

I’m not doubting it but just curious, how do they genetically trace the virus? Or determine the original carriers?

It doesn’t really make a great difference to me where it came from, still, it would be nice to know.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:52 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
I’m not doubting it but just curious, how do they genetically trace the virus? Or determine the original carriers?

It doesn’t really make a great difference to me where it came from, still, it would be nice to know.
They study mutations in the virus genome, from when the virus first existed in bats, then hopped to humans and spread all over the world. Label them A through Z. This paper from April 30 had found 14 variations in the spike protein (mediates infection of human cells) and found unfortunately that the dominant strain of covid 19 is also the most infectious) This strain first developed in Europe as the virus mutated in different populations around the world, but it is derived from the original strain and outbreak in China.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...054v1.full.pdf
Old 05-12-2020, 10:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Everything I heard or read said it came from China, either the Wuhan lab or a wet market...what really p's me off is that instead of isolating it in Wuhan it was exported all over the world!! Intentionally? By accident? We don't know yet..I,m not a China apologist...
Old 05-12-2020, 10:22 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDVeteran View Post
I prefer the scientific acronym, Covid-19. Anything else is just a nickname.
The "nicknames" are just political hijinks. Covid 19 is indeed the correct name, and we are certain it came from and started in China.
Closed Thread

Tags
virus, make, yorkers, traveling, usa

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.