New York City / Rights Without Responsibility / The Cost

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Sage
Smile New York City / Rights Without Responsibility / The Cost

If you live in New York City, you have a right to drink as much sugary-soft-drinks as you want, not to mention your right to consume other high calorie processed foods. And, if all of that makes you overweight or obese, you have a right to be that way. And if being that way causes you to have a stroke or heart attack, you may have a right to get a "free" bypass operation or whatever treatment you may need (compliments of New York City).

The above rights are untouchable. It may cost the average New Yorker upwards of $500,000,000 per year to supply the "free" medical services but that makes no difference. You may have to give up some of your money to pay for those services if you live there, but so what? What makes you think you have any rights?

You may have to give up some of your money but don't expect soda drinkers to give up even 4 ounces of their cherished soda. It's just too big of a sacrifice, and you have no right to expect it.

Let's talk about the rights of those who pay the bills! What rights do we have?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Sage

Who really has the right to tell someone what and how much of anything they may eat or drink?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Boy HOWDY HOWDY HOWDY!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Sage

Well, on the other hand a lot of women think it is their right to have as many babies as they choose which we will also support. How do you suggest we fix that? which is probably a much larger drain on society than some people drinking pop.

The the problem with right and responsibilities - who gets to make the decision. I for one believe in the United States it is each person's right to choose than suffer the consequences - so maybe that is where we are off base - saving people from consequences they have created for themselves.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Who really has the right to tell someone what and how much of anything they may eat or drink?
Who really has the right to tell someone that they must pay for the healthcare of someone who has health issues related to being overweight or obese?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Who really has the right to tell someone that they must pay for the healthcare of someone who has health issues related to being overweight or obese?
News flash - we're paying for a whole lot more healthcare for folks other than issues of being overweight or obese and I would guess statistics would show that is the least of our problems.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Platinum member

Y'know, this is not exclusively a New York problem. Big Gulps are sold nationwide. People are breeding without a license everywhere.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
News flash - we're paying for a whole lot more healthcare for folks other than issues of being overweight or obese and I would guess statistics would show that is the least of our problems.
I was just gonna say that. Now I don't have to. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Location: Living in the Villages after 26 years on the Upper Westside of Manhattan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
Y'know, this is not exclusively a New York problem. Big Gulps are sold nationwide. People are breeding without a license everywhere.
Thank you Patty! NYC was just trying to give consumers a chance to have some small gulps too! NYC also led the country in putting calorie counts on menus, so that consumers could make educated choices! I am proud of my city for that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
formerly of Manhattan and weekends on the Jersey Shore--now living the dream in Caroline!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Gold member

Quote:
If you live in New York City, you have a right to drink as much sugary-soft-drinks as you want, not to mention your right to consume other high calorie processed foods. And, if all of that makes you overweight or obese, you have a right to be that way. And if being that way causes you to have a stroke or heart attack, you may have a right to get a "free" bypass operation or whatever treatment you may need (compliments of New York City).

The above rights are untouchable. It may cost the average New Yorker upwards of $500,000,000 per year to supply the "free" medical services but that makes no difference. You may have to give up some of your money to pay for those services if you live there, but so what? What makes you think you have any rights?

You may have to give up some of your money but don't expect soda drinkers to give up even 4 ounces of their cherished soda. It's just too big of a sacrifice, and you have no right to expect it.

Let's talk about the rights of those who pay the bills! What rights do we have?
Can you correlate the amount if soda someone drinks with the number of. pounds put on as a result of drinking that soda? Go ahead and do it for me,
Yes it is a challenge and I m betting you come up blank.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
..... so maybe that is where we are off base - saving people from consequences they have created for themselves.
I tend to agree, somewhat. But here's the thing: If the New York City health department (or Blumeburg) sees a health hazard developing, like obesity, they should have some latitude to deal with it. It's sad that it has come to this but the only other way to deal with it is to keep raising taxes, and it seems that the city doesn't want to do that. And for that I applaud them.

Given the choice between ever higher taxes and protecting people from themselves, I come down on the side of protecting people from themselves, not to mention protecting them from the fast food industry.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

///

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-13-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: I am FURIOUS.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
You're changing the subject; one topic at a time.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Veteran member

It's amazing how many people are willing to sell their souls & freedoms so cheaply.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
It's a valid point, BUT what if other types of foods were deemed not appropriate?
Someone is telling me what I can or cannot eat? I think not! Imagine if you were told that a particular food you enjoy is now "off limits?"
You eat a diet that keeps you fit and healthy. Others have different diets that also keep them fit and healthy and contrary to what some might think, a treat every once in a while is not the problem. Telling anyone that legislation will be passed because, seems very wrong. Other approaches might be better.....education for one.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.