New York City / Rights Without Responsibility / The Cost

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

intollerance is such a subjective perspective which results in varying perceptions of intent.

btk
Old 03-14-2013, 06:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
It's a valid point, BUT what if other types of foods were deemed not appropriate?
If there are other types of foods that are deemed to be a hazard, I would be glad to cut back.

Quote:
Someone is telling me what I can or cannot eat?
No, not exactly. No food has ever been banned.

Quote:
You eat a diet that keeps you fit and healthy. Others have different diets that also keep them fit and healthy and contrary to what some might think, a treat every once in a while is not the problem.
If the law eventually passes, you would be allowed to buy a 16 ounce soda. And I believe you would still be able to buy larger sodas in the supermarket.

Quote:
Telling anyone that legislation will be passed because, seems very wrong. Other approaches might be better.....education for one.
I agree that education is a better approach but where is it?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Sage

Well Mrs POTUS is trying to educate about healthy eating - not sure she is having much luck - costs a lot of money to eat fresh fruits and veggies. Do you think we should pay for that?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Can you correlate the amount if soda someone drinks with the number of. pounds put on as a result of drinking that soda? Go ahead and do it for me,
Yes it is a challenge and I m betting you come up blank.
No one was ever trying to come up with an exact correlation. That was never the point. I'm not certain but I believe it was simply based on statistics of how many sodas were being consumed by the average soda drinker. From there they calculated the added number of calories per day from sugar.

They also have statistics on obesity. If excess calories cause weight gain then the plan is to find a way to cut some of those calories without interfering with nutrition.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Sorry Wendy, I fail to see the connection between what you refer to as "obese" people eating round pastries in The Villages to Physical Education in our schools. Could you explain?
ACTUALLY agreeing with Stevens post about countering calorie consumption with exercise! I have no knowledge about what is offered in the educational system! Sorry if I gave that impression!

My comment about donuts just shows how ridiculous it is to ban large sodas when there are MANY, MANY culprits that may contribute to weight gain. You just can't ban them all!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Sage

Hi Wendy. Thank you for clarifying. Sorry I misunderstood.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:26 PM

For some people the only rights you can have are the ones they think are ok. LOL.
There is always some group or person who thinks they have all the answers. Just take peoples rights away. Yea . I believe there were wars because of that same issue.
Guess who always wins. Taking peoples rights away is wrong.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
No one was ever trying to come up with an exact correlation. That was never the point. I'm not certain but I believe it was simply based on statistics of how many sodas were being consumed by the average soda drinker. From there they calculated the added number of calories per day from sugar.

They also have statistics on obesity. If excess calories cause weight gain then the plan is to find a way to cut some of those calories without interfering with nutrition.
wonder why the plan does not focus on exercising the excess calories away - regardless of where they came from! "they" need to rethink "their" plan!

Old 03-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Well Mrs POTUS is trying to educate about healthy eating - not sure she is having much luck - costs a lot of money to eat fresh fruits and veggies. Do you think we should pay for that?
The bottom line is eating healthy is expensive . It's up to each person if they want to make an investment in their health. It just might pay off in the future

Last edited by tommy steam; 03-14-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I agree that education is a better approach but where is it?
Needs to start in the schools, in advertising....everyone is trying to make a buck....but it might not....and even if it doesn't, officials must tread lightly when it seems they will be forcing food decisions upon the masses. We as Americans take our freedoms for granted....until someone decides we are unable to make choices on our own....right or wrong, we still have the right to decide what we, as individuals, will ingest. All this over cup size....just imagine what it would be like if actual food portions came under scrutiny.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
The bottom line is eating healthy is expensive . It's up to each person if they want to make an investment in their health. It just might pay off in the future
I suppose it depends on how you define "healthy". I doubt I am the only person here who's mother provided decent non-junk meals on a regular basis while living within a limited budget. It can be done without breaking the bank, but you also have TONS of people these days who are incapable of making a simple roast chicken so they go to Popeyes instead.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:25 AM
Location: Living in the Villages after 26 years on the Upper Westside of Manhattan!

There was a time in this country when single portion sizes were the norm and obesity was less of a national concern. Were we any less free then? No, of course not. Just less manipulated by greedy corporate interests who have found big money in cultivating a bigger is better mentality!

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2
formerly of Manhattan and weekends on the Jersey Shore--now living the dream in Caroline!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
Problem is not everyone is in a position to pay for those healthy choices. We are currently substituting spaghetti squash for pasta - I can buy a box of pasta for .99 a spaghetti squash costs $4. Would hate to try a feed a family of 4 something like that. Have you priced fresh broccolli lately or cauliflower - it's crazy.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Problem is not everyone is in a position to pay for those healthy choices. We are currently substituting spaghetti squash for pasta - I can buy a box of pasta for .99 a spaghetti squash costs $4. Would hate to try a feed a family of 4 something like that. Have you priced fresh broccolli lately or cauliflower - it's crazy.
You are right again. What used to be a cheap healthy diet is an expensive healthy diet. Cutting back on meat does help...a little. Three lemons for TWO bucks???? In Florida???????????
Old 03-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg150 View Post
There was a time in this country when single portion sizes were the norm and obesity was less of a national concern. Were we any less free then? No, of course not. Just less manipulated by greedy corporate interests who have found big money in cultivating a bigger is better mentality!

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2
Yeah..I've really noticed how those "greedy" corporate types show up at my house each day and put a gun to my head and force me to buy things. What nonsense!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.