New York City / Rights Without Responsibility / The Cost

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
Yeah..I've really noticed how those "greedy" corporate types show up at my house each day and put a gun to my head and force me to buy things. What nonsense!
I have on making me work right now has I write this post waiting to retire to TV.
An it is a big one.

The blood sucking state is always after them.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Gold member

We are all responsible for ourselves !
We make choices - some good, some bad! Who determines which ones are bad? We do!
I do not want ANYONE making choices for me - whether it is what I eat, what I drink, where I go etc. etc.

THIS IS AMERICA !

We have the right to the pursuit of happiness.

As long as I am not hurting anyone - LEAVE ME ALONE !

Old 03-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
There are always those eager to take away freedoms that do not affect them. The whole concept of insurance is shared risk. How would you like to pay for health insurance based on your diet, amount of exercise and prior health problems? Be careful of what you wish for because you may get it. I can say that based on the lack of driving skills I see every day around TV, many should be paying much more for auto insurance. Why should I subsidize their accidents since I am a good driver who never had an accident? Why should young people pay into Social Security when they may not be alive to collect? Your thinking leads down a very slippery slope indeed.
Freedoms can also be taken away through taxation. And there are always those who are eager to take someone elses money because it doesn't affect them. Those who are taxed, lose the freedom to spend their money as they choose.

This is not about insurance. Those who get the free bypass operations etc. are those who can't afford it and don't have insurance.

You talked about subsidizing accidents and you're right about that. If someone gets into an accident their insurance goes up. And yours might go up a little too. But why should I subsidize someones bypass operation when it's related to being overweight or obese?

The slippery slope also applies to taxing one person to pay for the bypass of another. And it's not about Social Security, fire insurance or car insurance. This is about New York City protecting itself from fiscal ruination. When it sees an epidemic such as obesity, it has a right, on behalf of taxpayers, to take some defensive measures. And it all started many years ago when New York City had some very serious fiscal problems. There's a limit to how many bypass operations New York City can give away for free.

Last edited by Villages PL; 03-15-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
and who will protect the people who do not want to be protected by the people who think they have to protect people from themselves?
No one. It's like Social Security. Some people don't want Social Security and don't need Social Security. But it's mandatory. Why? Because too many people have proved that they are not capable of saving for their own retirement.

Quote:
let the dept of health recognize a health hazard and conduct an effective campaign about it. let the people who feel strongly about the hazard PARTICIPATE in such a campaign.
Well, I'm not an expert on this but someone else on this thread said that often food vendors don't have smaller sizes available. How can one participate if the smaller sizes are not available?

Quote:
no one [other than a parent/guardian] has ANY right to CONTROL another's behavior!
My behavior is controlled when someone confiscates my money through taxation to pay for the medical costs of an obesity epidemic.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I think Bloomberg went too far on this one. Actually, I think he went too far on the trans fat one too. Making sure the nutritional content is available is one thing; shutting sugar and trans fat down down is going too far into people's rights.JMO. Why not ban the ale of cigarettes in NYC? That's even more harmful than trans fat or sugar.
Do you really think that going from 20 ounces of soda to 16 ounces is going to far? That's only 4 ounces! Can you picture a 4 ounce juice glass? That's 2gulps.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
Excellent Post

Not one is perfect, sure don't want to point a finger at the faults of another until I can say I have none of my own! Not my place to look at anyone and tell them what they are doing wrong unless I'm their parent.
Sure, it's not my place either. But it's the place of Blumeberg and the health department to save New York City from financial ruin. That's what they were facing when they started this campaign.

Last edited by Villages PL; 03-16-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Calorie intake is inconsequential if balanced by physical activity.

If the government wants to be involved in the obesity epidemic, why not put "real" physical education back in our schools.
They put physical education back in Florida schools and what good has it done? It won't do any good if kids don't eat right.

Last edited by Villages PL; 03-16-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Sure, it not my place either. But it's the place of Blumeberg and the health department to save New York City from financial ruin. That's what they were facing when they started this campaign.
I doubt that obesity is causing financial ruin. It's probably more like exhorbitant wages for city workers with outrageous pension plans.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyquat View Post
Gosh Steven, just when I think I have "heard it all" you come up with a very sensible post!

I should let it end there but can't resist this one! I see many "obese" people at the several Dunkin Donuts locations here in the villages. They appear to be drinking coffee instead of colas BUT the round pastries may be the culprits. Perhaps that can be "nanny" B's next target!
Let me remind you that no food has ever been banned. But that's the way the talk goes. Back when they were putting a ban on trans fat, people were saying, "the next thing you know, they will try to ban hamburgers". Well, that was several years ago and I'm still waiting to see it.

Quote:
As for insurance one of my doctors let it slip that the out of pocket costs for care may soon be tied to ones BMI!
That's GREAT news! Thank you, thank you, thank you. However, that kind of talk might just be idle gossip. It sounds too good to be true.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
As I understand your posts (starting with this one, for example) your beef is that you are being forced to foot the bill for health costs for people who have medical problems related to obesity.
It would appear that you are greatly upset with these individuals because they are causing your 'rights' to be trampled upon by indulging in high calorie/non nutritional food consumption.
When Gomoho mentioned that there are many other medical expenses that we as a nation are paying for that we may not be on board with personally, you considered it a 'change of topic'. (I agreed with Gomoho, by the way)

It's NOT a change of topic, if your beef is about footing the bill when you don't want to. (your rights being trampled)
Nice try but your argument doesn't hold water. The focus of this thread was on the recent news about New York City and soda consumption. Not abortion or anything else. And I didn't intend for it to go nation wide either.

Quote:
o be honest, over time in reading your posts (here and in other threads you have generated recently), the message I get is that you really have distain for people who are fat. To focus on this brings more of it to your attention and you bang your drum and push against it and get your innards in a twist.
Sorry, wrong again. When I was in high school my best friend was obese and he was one of the greatest friends I ever had. And when I moved to The Villages my obese neighbor became one of my best friends.

By the way, one of the rules on this board is to avoid personal attacks. Attack the subject, not the person.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
They put physical education back in Florida schools and what good has it done? It won't do any good by itself if kids don't eat right.
It is pure chemistry. Calories in and calories out. Also I think you will find that physical education today is not as rigorous as when we were in school. Today, kids play games, although physical they do not involve nonstop activity for each kid. We had calisthenics for the whole period.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
the big gulp is just one very small aspect of the obesity problem. The major problem is the amount of food, good/bad and junk that some keep jamming in their pie hole....along with being couch potatoes.....and no doubt the lack of needing to work to live by so many in the entitlement life style.

The big gulp issue is symbolic with no real impact to be made on the real reasons for our tonnage.

btk
I can't deny that you are right about it not solving the obesity epidemic but then I don't think the plan was that this measure would solve everything. I believe the intention is to nudge things in the right direction. And any improvement would put New York City in better shape fiscally. Taxes in New York City are already high. I think they pay state, city and federal taxes. Can you imagine what that must be like? So they can't just keep raising city taxes as the medical costs of the obesity epidemic keep climbing.

All the little steps they have taken may have an impact, believe it or not. They got rid of trans fat, smoking has gone down and soda may be next. It's a tough thing but when the ship is sinking, tough choices have to be made. It's a choice between lifestyle freedoms and the freedom to not be taxed to death (the freedom to keep some of the money you earn).
Old 03-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
It is pure chemistry. Calories in and calories out. Also I think you will find that physical education today is not as rigorous as when we were in school. Today, kids play games, although physical they do not involve nonstop activity for each kid. We had calisthenics for the whole period.
Yes, not only did I have gym but I walked to school and rode my bike after school. But my mother was a big help too as she refused to ever keep any soda in the refrigerator. Daily snacks such as cookies or potato chips were not allowed. (Only on special occasions.)

I have seen many instances where people work out vigorusly and never seem to lose any weight. I saw them years ago when I belonged to The wellness Center. I had a friend who made deliveries for a family business; that was a tough job but he never lost weight until he paid attention to what he was eating. I have a neighbor who spends a lot of time walking walking walking several miles a day but he always looks the same (very large waistline).

Last I heard, the average boy drinks 3 sodas per day and girls drink 2. That's about 24 to 36 teaspoons of sugar respectively. How long does it take to burn all those calories? I believe they would be fighting a losing battle unless they curb their bad eating habits.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I can't deny that you are right about it not solving the obesity epidemic but then I don't think the plan was that this measure would solve everything. I believe the intention is to nudge things in the right direction. And any improvement would put New York City in better shape fiscally. Taxes in New York City are already high. I think they pay state, city and federal taxes. Can you imagine what that must be like? So they can't just keep raising city taxes as the medical costs of the obesity epidemic keep climbing.

All the little steps they have taken may have an impact, believe it or not. They got rid of trans fat, smoking has gone down and soda may be next. It's a tough thing but when the ship is sinking, tough choices have to be made. It's a choice between lifestyle freedoms and the freedom to not be taxed to death (the freedom to keep some of the money you earn).
Sorry, I, respectfully, disagree that government should legislate what I eat!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
Absolutely correct. When Michael Phelps is training for the Olympics he eats 20,000 calories a day. Anybody seen Michael Phelps lately? Sorry..I couldn't find his beer gut from all that eating.
I live in Real-ville, (along with a famous person that you might know) and the average person in the U.S. is overweight. To think that they will all suddenly become super athletes is not realistic.

Quote:
We keep hearing about the link to weight and diabetes. Yes, that's true. However, there are many other factors relating to diabetes. A great deal of it is genetics. I am diabetic. I was adopted as an infant. I was never at all interested in finding my "birth" family. A couple of years ago by accident they found me. I found that I had 7 bio-brothers & sisters. Virtually everyone with a dose of that family's blood has diabetes. Everyone. Doesn't matter if they are as skinny as a broom handle or big as a house. If you're in that family you will develop diabetes.

I've had two doctors tell me that genetics plays a huge part in whether or not you contract diabetes. Genetics also plays a large role in diseases such as autism, food allegies and so on. Would some people here who are so angry towards heavy and/or diabetic people for "costing them money" show the same anger & hatred for someone with autism or other diseases that have genetic triggers?
Genetic excuses can only be made for a very small percentage of the population. The vast majority of people are overweight and obese because of poor lifestyle choices.

Quote:
Probably not.. because there is a feeling..touted by many..that people who are overweight are lazy and of a "lower class". So overweight=diabetes which=people of a lower class, and because "WE" of a higher class know better & are thus superior "WE" have the right to force our superior knowledge on these people because "WE" know better. Hogwash!
Straw man alert! Straw man alert! No one on this thread ever said that overweight people are lazy, dumb or lower class.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.