Almost Scammed

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Default Almost Scammed

Received a call today from "Widows Tech Support" India type accent informing us our computer has been corrupted with an online infection. Also that my infected computer is spreading this infection to others through emails

Asked me to Click on Start Button lower left, Right Click on Computer, Click Manage, brings you to Computer Management Screen. Click Event Viewer, Custom Views, Administrative Events log...WOW allot of Red Errors and Yellow Warnings. For $134 they will fix the infection and monitor for 1 year. How did you get my phone number? Why was there nothing issued from Microsoft? What is your phone # and I'll call back?
I'm not giving out a credit card number to someone calling me. I called a friend who has a computer store that I've had work on my computer and relayed the story to him. SCAM. I would have been out 100 of dollars. The log of errors is basically nothing, time delays or lost/slow info.

Just passing this along....I mean you see RED, Error, Warning and you believe infection and perhaps this could be legit? Until they ask for $$$
Old 03-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Sage

You did the right thing and thank you for passing on the warning to others.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I already got his call at least twice...just hang up or better yet tell them to wait while you go to where the computer is and leave the line open. Did that for close to 45 minutes and finally they hung up. They called back, I did the same thing...calls have stopped.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Also, a rash of scams pretending to be Publisher Clearing House and requesting you pay your taxes up front before receiving alleged prize.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 PM
Veteran member

I had someone come to my door yesterday alleging she was unable to make delivery of food to one of my neighbors and offering to sell it to me for a very low cost. And throw in some "free" seafood to boot. Who knows where that meat came from? Any horses missing around here? She said it was cryovacuumed and frozen, but she could not take it back. A real pro. Anyone had this same experience?
Old 03-16-2013, 02:20 AM
Sage

Con artists are evil and have forfeited their right to live. It would be such a wonderful world if we could take everyone for face value and believe what they say. Lying cheating and stealing has became a normal way of life for so many. Even a drug dealer supplies a product for a price.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:42 AM
Email Reported As Spam

scammers for computer called me four times. I finally got tired of their calls and told that guy that I was sick of his harassment and would call the cops on him. It stopprd. But I like the going to my computer and leaving them on hold alot more
Old 03-16-2013, 05:55 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

I suspect you misheard what they said on the phone or the accent threw you off. I suspect they said "Windows Tech Support" instead of "Widows Tech support". The Daily Sun had an warning article recently (their 2-24-2013 issue) on what they described as a Microsoft scam going around this area which works exactly as you described. Of course, it was not really Microsoft, the Windows people, calling - it was an impersonator scam artist. You did 100% the correct thing - give no personal or financial info in response to an unsolicited call or email and check them out with someone who knows. Congratulations! You saved yourself $134 of your hard earned money and a ton of aggravation.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:08 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Just take your key fob to the door with you. And when one of these idiots starts there sales pich about the frozen food or any other such nonsense, just reach in your pocket and push the panic button. When they ask what that is, just tell them that's the bulls**t monitor going off. Then say please leave so it will stop.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
I had someone come to my door yesterday alleging she was unable to make delivery of food to one of my neighbors and offering to sell it to me for a very low cost. And throw in some "free" seafood to boot. Who knows where that meat came from? Any horses missing around here? She said it was cryovacuumed and frozen, but she could not take it back. A real pro. Anyone had this same experience?
I've seen this scam in NY, but not here. It's a real old one.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 03-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
I have and I saw through it immediately but she was very good and my guess is she sells a ton of meat
Old 03-16-2013, 07:57 AM

You saved a lot more than $134 if you had given them your credit card information!
Old 03-16-2013, 08:12 AM
Default Whaaa?

Common sense needs to prevail here. Why on earth would you believe someone who calls you on the telephone and tells you that you have a infected computer? First of all, why would Microsoft have your telephone number??

I bet they thought they had you once you actually went to your computer to check it out.

Please don't fall for this nonsense!! Just hang up and report the call. As far as someone coming to your door trying to scam you - slam the door in their face! If someone has no respect for you, trying to scam you, show them the same in return.

No one need approach my door unless they are selling chocolate bars. Ha,ha.

Visited The Villages in Oct., '09
Working on making it permanent.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney07 View Post
Received a call today from "Widows Tech Support" India type accent informing us our computer has been corrupted with an online infection. Also that my infected computer is spreading this infection to others through emails

Asked me to Click on Start Button lower left, Right Click on Computer, Click Manage, brings you to Computer Management Screen. Click Event Viewer, Custom Views, Administrative Events log...WOW allot of Red Errors and Yellow Warnings. For $134 they will fix the infection and monitor for 1 year. How did you get my phone number? Why was there nothing issued from Microsoft? What is your phone # and I'll call back?
I'm not giving out a credit card number to someone calling me. I called a friend who has a computer store that I've had work on my computer and relayed the story to him. SCAM. I would have been out 100 of dollars. The log of errors is basically nothing, time delays or lost/slow info.

Just passing this along....I mean you see RED, Error, Warning and you believe infection and perhaps this could be legit? Until they ask for $$$
They might also put a virus onto your computer when you permit them remote access.

We got another virus on our computer last Sunday or so and I lost four days of posting on TOTV.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Default Meat sales...

2 guys were trying to sell meat to my husband last week @ our mail box area. HA...that is like trying to sell snow to an Eskimo! He watched them leave the area, but just probably went on to another mail box.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.