New York Times article about NFL arrests in 2014, before kneeling.

Closed Thread
Old 09-09-2018, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default New York Times article about NFL arrests in 2014, before kneeling.

What the Numbers Show About N.F.L. Player Arrests - The New York Times

I may be the only person who doesn't follow much sports at all. I had no idea so many NFL players ran afoul of the law before this kneeling issue came up. This article is before the kneeling issue.

It is hard to figure this out.

Could it be that some of the players think law enforcement is unfair because they have been arrested? Were they arrested unfairly?

I still say that using the National Anthem to protest unfair police arrest is inappropriate. To me it isn't the time or the place.

I also notice that there seems to be racial imbalance in the players too.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-09-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

I may be the only person who doesn't follow much sports at all. I had no idea so many NFL players ran afoul of the law before this kneeling issue came up. This article is before the kneeling issue.

I don't have any memories of police officers that are negative at all. My grandfather was a police officer in Columbus, Ohio for 37 years. No one that I know has been arrested or beats their spouse. Some people I know drink and drive and smoke marijuana.

Could it be that some of the players think law enforcement is unfair because they have been arrested? Were they arrested unfairly?

I still say that using the National Anthem to protest unfair police arrest is inappropriate.
Succinctly states the issue for many of us!!
Old 09-09-2018, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

I still say that using the National Anthem to protest unfair police arrest is inappropriate. To me it isn't the time or the place.

I also notice that there seems to be racial imbalance in the players too.
The number of politicians under indictment, arrest or investigation would make this look insignificant
Old 09-09-2018, 10:34 AM
Sage

Most athletes are pampered from the time when they were small and showed great athletic talent especially in schools where they devoted almost all of their time to their talent and did not devote enough time to academics.

Hence, there are some who are not rocket scientist especially clouded by becoming very rich and do not have the wherewithal to handle fame.

The NFL's problems run much deeper than the anthem issue. The player association is not doing them any favors by sticking up for them, instead of protecting them from hurting the NFL product and themselves in the process.

With eyeballs declining to watch the NFL, affect the revenues coming in. Hence, the owners are trying to find a way to keep everyone happy and protect their bottom line.

The players are doing themselves a great disservice when their income will be adversely affected.

I long for the day when sport pages told us the scores and not who was arrested for various criminal acts.

The NFL was once known at the "National Felon League".

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 09-09-2018, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Most athletes are pampered from the time when they were small and showed great athletic talent especially in schools where they devoted almost all of their time to their talent and did not devote enough time to academics.

Hence, there are some who are not rocket scientist especially clouded by becoming very rich and do not have the wherewithal to handle fame.

The NFL's problems run much deeper than the anthem issue. The player association is not doing them any favors by sticking up for them, instead of protecting them from hurting the NFL product and themselves in the process.

With eyeballs declining to watch the NFL, affect the revenues coming in. Hence, the owners are trying to find a way to keep everyone happy and protect their bottom line.

The players are doing themselves a great disservice when their income will be adversely affected.

I long for the day when sport pages told us the scores and not who was arrested for various criminal acts.

The NFL was once known at the "National Felon League".
I also recall the days when our leaders were not always under investigation, being arrested, etc and etc. Remember when the front page of the newspaper talked about pending legislation and the various compromises being hammered out ?

I sure do, and those things affect our lives, our children and grandchildren's lives.

Sports, if you do not like it, don't watch it.

I have been opposed to the Kneeling situation when it began not when someone told me to be offended. BUT......no laws being broke and keeping it in the headlines is only good for certain....well, lets say, it has been said who it is good for
Old 09-09-2018, 10:44 AM
Veteran member
Default NFL Players

Lately I've been thinking a way to get past this kneeling stuff is to stop playing the National Anthem at NFL games. The games are multi-million dollar commercial enterprises, contested by multi-millionaires, where a great number of Americans-- surely including Black families --can't afford the price of a ticket to see a game live. The Anthem should be reserved for solemn and patriotic events, IMO.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Lately I've been thinking a way to get past this kneeling stuff is to stop playing the National Anthem at NFL games. The games are multi-million dollar commercial enterprises, contested by multi-millionaires, where a great number of Americans-- surely including Black families --can't afford the price of a ticket to see a game live. The Anthem should be reserved for solemn and patriotic events, IMO.
I would rather it not be played than reacted to inappropriately. I would rather see marching, personal ads bought by the players against the unfairness they feel. Books written, Gatherings of people who feel as they do. All of the ways that people react to things they think unfair in this country.

There are certain symbols and things many of us hold sacred. MOST of us hold sacred. I don't think for instance a wedding or a baptism or a bar mitzvah is a place to protest or speak out about something controversial...or a funeral.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-09-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
arrested, police, law, players, nfl

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.