The New York Times front page posts heartbreaking list of people dead from Covid-19.

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2020, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Wrong. Where and what were people doing that they didn’t hear about this until March? We had a discussion with a RN in early February regarding covid. Why was travel from China halted in January? I realize it works to some individuals advantage to be obtuse to the news but it was out there. We must move in some very intellectual circles because people were discussing how this virus would impact the stock market already in January.
Sometime the week of March 12th is when air travel was stopped between here and the European continent. Our daughter had flown back to London on the ninth of March and I was very worried about her catching it on the plane.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:39 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Sometime the week of March 12th is when air travel was stopped between here and the European continent. Our daughter had flown back to London on the ninth of March and I was very worried about her catching it on the plane.
Thank you for clarifying that people were well aware of the virus prior to March. I can understand your concern when your daughter opted to fly to London even though we were being advised of it beginning to gain ground in Europe. Thankfully, she was spared contagion.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:09 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Wrong. Where and what were people doing that they didn’t hear about this until March? We had a discussion with a RN in early February regarding covid. Why was travel from China halted in January? I realize it works to some individuals advantage to be obtuse to the news but it was out there. We must move in some very intellectual circles because people were discussing how this virus would impact the stock market already in January.
Your correct, but my point is that until late in March, the virus would be a nothing burger, only 15 cases that would go from a dozen cases to zero real soon, then it became common news that it was a very serious problem. Denial in January and February caused us to lose thousands of lives. I’m not placing blame, but pleading for us to be honest and transparent so we don’t miss the signals next tine. PLEASE!
Old 05-24-2020, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
And? Given these times I don’t see the problem.
actually there in lies the problem...apathy

just saying
Old 05-24-2020, 05:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

I did not make myself clear in my response to “Jingo press”. I don’t advocate apathy at all. Jingo often refers to “A vociferous supporter of policy favouring war, especially in the name of patriotism”. And I took it to mean the response to the war with this virus as NYT was listing the names of Americans killed by Covid

Last edited by Velvet; 05-24-2020 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Double Jeopardy begins, all prizes are doubled

human to human transmission confirmed by china - bing search

40,100,000 results

human to human transmission confirmed by china - Bing
This isn't a contest. It is a discussion.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-24-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Some say one may be the Governor of NY ( and NJ) who placed the elderly stricken in Nursing Homes Where They died instead of the Naval ship COMFORT and the JAVITS Center. These Fully staffed and equipped hospitals were originally set up to care for non COVID patients so the local hospitals could be utilized for Covid patients. Later both Governors requested and received permission to use both facilities for Covid patients however both facilities were hardly utilized to the amazement of many. JAVITS Was closed down and the COMFORT returned to its home base. The cost of this

Perhaps not well known outside of New York and New Jersey is the fact that a huge number of these nursing homes are owned by the Jewish ultra orthodox who are huge supporters of the current governor of New York as they were for his father The former governor. I have not read the New York Times article and I would be very surprised if they connected these dots. This cost taxpayers tens of millions of dollars and there is still no answer as to why the two governors failed to utilize these facilities

My comments should not be deemed political but merely a reflection of the facts as they exist.
Exactly! You are right. Cuomo sent them to nursing homes because,
like many other politicians, he wants their block vote. I never heard of a law stating they had to go to nursing homes. As far as I know he made that decision and now he is trying to blame others.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:32 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
Your correct, but my point is that until late in March, the virus would be a nothing burger, only 15 cases that would go from a dozen cases to zero real soon, then it became common news that it was a very serious problem. Denial in January and February caused us to lose thousands of lives. I’m not placing blame, but pleading for us to be honest and transparent so we don’t miss the signals next tine. PLEASE!
Which is what I stated earlier, if only China hadn’t lied and would have been forthcoming allowing our scientists early access to help rather than banning them from assisting.

I think it’s an insult to the brilliant scientists and doctors who worked feverishly to understand/analyze this damn virus to say they were in denial. I thank God for their brilliance and dedication to the people of this nation even if they didn’t have a crystal ball or armchair quarterbacks who knew everything about this virus immediately.

Last edited by Aces4; 05-24-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:41 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

20/20 hindsight is such a convenient perspective. I agree we should learn from this so that we are better prepared the next time. The political finger-pointing is juvenile and non-productive.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I will never be able to understand why people try to put a political slant on a situation where almost everyone is peddling as best they can. Why people blame the deaths on this or that, or change the subject into elaborate conspiracies. I do not know why people follow the direction of any politician who is not following the direction of good medical science. I will never be able to understand why people do not see that the repercussions of this novel virus will devastate the economy of the world although I do not believe that it was engineered or planned to do so. I don't want to influence anyone in how they live and the choices they make. I do believe that the demographics of The Villages put a target on our backs. I also believe that almost every single person who lives here not only realizes the effect on business here and everywhere and cares about the business here and everywhere. We all have lived long enough to know what will happen. And I believe most people care deeply about business AND the health of their peers.

It is my opinion that many governors, no matter which side of the aisle they sit on have tried to protect lives. I commend both Mike DeWine and Governor Cuomo. Ditto others on both sides of the aisle. They are working with statistics that are incomplete. ALL have made mistakes.
Hmmm... I read an article recently explaining various people's positions on the lockdown and how they "coincidentally" aligned with their life's beliefs. You might be surprised to learn where your beliefs lie. Your proclaimed "voting" position does not appear to align with your "life beliefs" in my opinion. The author believed we are born pre-wired for viewing the world a certain way. I agree with the author. If interested, I'm sure you can find the article.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, bourbon in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!" -- Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-25-2020, 03:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by B767drvr View Post
Hmmm... I read an article recently explaining various people's positions on the lockdown and how they "coincidentally" aligned with their life's beliefs. You might be surprised to learn where your beliefs lie. Your proclaimed "voting" position does not appear to align with your "life beliefs" in my opinion. The author believed we are born pre-wired for viewing the world a certain way. I agree with the author. If interested, I'm sure you can find the article.
Many people shuffle their value list in the face of a life threatening situation. Some people when faced with a terrible truth will minimize it, some will blame situations or people, some will be depressed, some will try to find some logic or a group of beliefs to hold on to.

I think a lot of how we respond to things IS prewired. That genetically all of our lives we either get mad fast, or overthink things or worry a lot or just keep plugging..

Instinct makes us protect our selves and our kin first. Humans indeed are very complex.

I most likely will vote the same way I did last time, but again like last time, I wish I had someone to vote for that I had more faith in.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Many people shuffle their value list in the face of a life threatening situation. Some people when faced with a terrible truth will minimize it, some will blame situations or people, some will be depressed, some will try to find some logic or a group of beliefs to hold on to.

I think a lot of how we respond to things IS prewired. That genetically all of our lives we either get mad fast, or overthink things or worry a lot or just keep plugging..

Instinct makes us protect our selves and our kin first. Humans indeed are very complex.

I most likely will vote the same way I did last time, but again like last time, I wish I had someone to vote for that I had more faith in.
I agree with all you said. Nice post.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, bourbon in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!" -- Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-25-2020, 07:35 AM

100,000 deaths whether you have a million or a trillion people In your country is significant and these are people who had loved ones who are grieving. No comparison or politics needed.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
This isn't a contest. It is a discussion.
Yes, a discussion in which several comments try to rewrite history.

Originally Posted by JimJohnson
U.S. intelligence was acquiring data and other information about Covid 19 and its possible pandemic effect in early January. Both China and the US were attempting to down play the seriousness of the virus, but the medical and scientific folks on both sides of the pond would not be silent. This is a global problem not a them versus us.

This comment implies that governments of China and US were downplaying the seriousness, while medical/scientific were raising warning bells. So I quoted Dr Fauci

I'll take rewriting history for $1000 Alex

On January 21st Dr Fauci said “Americans Don't Need To Worry About Coronavirus:

Dr. Fauci said on February 8th: 'Danger of getting coronavirus now is just minusculely low': There is no reason to wear a mask

Dr. Anthony Fauci on February 29th tells the Today Show that there is NO NEED for the public to change their behavior over concern for Coronavirus:

On March 9th, Dr. Anthony Fauci recommends taking a cruise, tells Forbes Magazine that if you’re healthy, cruise ships are safe:

Originally Posted by graciegirl
On those dates, almost everyone was in the dark

This comment implies almost everyone was in the dark about the virus on the dates quoted, when in fact they knew it was a contagious virus spreading person to person on January 20

Originally Posted by JimJohnson
And yet it took till March to inform the American public. SAD.

This comment states unequivocally that the American public was not informed that there was a virus spreading person to person in China until March. I replied with a bing search showing 40 million results on the internet about the Chinese confirmation that virus was contagious on January 20

Discussions are fine, everyone has opinions, but that does not mean you are allowed to rewrite history.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:24 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
U.S. intelligence was acquiring data and other information about Covid 19 and its possible pandemic effect in early January. Both China and the US were attempting to down play the seriousness of the virus, but the medical and scientific folks on both sides of the pond would not be silent. This is a global problem not a them versus us.
Even Dr. Fauci downplayed it in the beginning. He is medical, don't forget.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Closed Thread

Tags
york, times, front, page, posts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.