News Flash brought to you by the TP & Coffee & Gasoline Marketing Assn...

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2021, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Off to Sams need to buy a few cases of TP. Thanks for the public service announcement.
I’m going to have a bidet installed in my master BR. Enough is enough!
Old 03-29-2021, 05:03 AM

Another good reason to buy American made products.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:03 AM

His hair is on fire
Old 03-29-2021, 05:07 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Just another thoughtless thread to get the sheeple among us into panic mode, again.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:42 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The trouble with that, is that there are a lot of gullible people in the world. And clearly, a lot who read this forum and will believe any cockamamie thing they read, simply because someone they like, or hold in high regard, posted it.

Even if it's from an OBVIOUS parody site like The Onion, people will believe it. Because a lot of people are not very clever, or bright, or cognizant, or observant. And even those of us who are might not pay much attention to a thread title and instead, refer to the content of the post. Which - in this case - is fake news provided by a supposedly reliable source.
Perfectly said!
Old 03-29-2021, 05:54 AM
Platinum member
Talking

Old 03-29-2021, 06:19 AM
Veteran member

To everyone who doesn't understand world economics, first let me say that 40% of wood pulp comes from South America but most of it does not come into the USA as we make most of ours as well as getting some from Canada which obviously does not go through the canal. Many of the boats or ships as you may call them do come from China to go through the canal to reach ports of Miami New York and Norfolk so you may have a very minor shortage of large screen TVs and clothing for Walmart and Target. I'd say way less than 1% of the yearly volume is being stuck right now. There are literally thousands of container ships traveling the oceans and the only shortages are containers actually in China that are available. I get emails every week from brokers looking to get my business for shipping from China and all I can say is for the last one or two years prices are up $200 or 300% for shipping rates but they're certainly way more enough business to run the shipping lines then to worry about the canal which actually has gotten expensive due to rate increases over the years so that most shippers have figured out other ways. Is actually great system in the US and Canada where containers dock on the West Coast and many times containers are shipped away a train to mid America and the East Coast as it can be faster if not more expensive. In conclusion yes there will be a few minor shortages lasting maybe one or two weeks. I would be more concerned with the ridiculous rise in the price of gasoline in the last 2 months
Old 03-29-2021, 07:11 AM

I will no longer wipe my butt so the next person will have plenty of TP.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:27 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Just another thoughtless thread to get the sheeple among us into panic mode, again.
OMG PEOPLE! It was NEWS - even tho SOME here thought it was 'parody, cockamamie, and not good for gullible people'.

#1 I posted it with the tongue-in-cheek reference to the 'Marketing' of TP, Gas, Coffee. Guess with some here, that landed flat.

"Thoughtless Thread"...OK. Let's just hear more dog poop, taxes, TV growth, etc etc.

I always say, I could post a Thread saying "What a beautiful Day in The Villages". Some would say - NO, there's a cloud. NO, it's drizzling here. Oh No, now I have to put on sunblock. Oh No our lawn needs the rain. ...

Lighten up (some folks here...)
Old 03-29-2021, 07:50 AM
Default Not our coffee.

"The Suez Canal jam could cause shortages of
toilet paper, coffee, furniture, and other imported goods."

The coffee being blocked are robusto beans from Vietnam and other Asian countries preferred by Europeans. Americans prefer Arabica beans from Central and South America. Did you know that Vietnam is the 2nd largest exporter of coffee beans in the world? But not to us.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:19 AM

Old 03-29-2021, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgiii View Post
"The Suez Canal jam could cause shortages of
toilet paper, coffee, furniture, and other imported goods."

The coffee being blocked are robusto beans from Vietnam and other Asian countries preferred by Europeans. Americans prefer Arabica beans from Central and South America. Did you know that Vietnam is the 2nd largest exporter of coffee beans in the world? But not to us.
I did not know that Vietnam was such a major exporter. Thanks for teaching me something. So I got on the Google, and the US is Vietnam's second leading customer behind Germany. Of course those beans would come across the Pacific so no Suez issues.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:37 AM

“News Alert: Ever Given ship freed in the Suez Canal, authority confirms
The Ever Given container ship has been dislodged and is now floating, after blocking the Suez Canal for almost a week, authorities said Monday.

Tug boats had spent several hours on Monday working to free the bow of the massive vessel after dislodging the stern earlier in the day.

Marine traffic websites showed images of the ship away from the banks of the Suez Canal for the first time in seven days following an around-the-clock international effort to reopen the global shipping lane.”
Old 03-29-2021, 09:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
From toilet paper to coffee, here are some of the products that could soon be in short supply because of the Suez Canal blockage
Mar 26, 2021

The Suez Canal jam could cause shortages of
toilet paper, coffee, furniture, and other imported goods.

Depending on how long it takes to move a hulking 224,000-ton freighter called the Ever Given — said to be bigger than the Empire State Building — that ran aground on Tuesday, shoppers could see a shortage of numerous items.

It will affect "basically anything you see in the stores," Lars Jensen, an independent container-shipping expert based in Denmark, told NBC News.

Toilet Paper and Coffee Among Products Affected by Suez Canal Blockage
Wah,wah, wah, look what’s going on in the country!
Old 03-29-2021, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Update.
Evidently it is the stern that is free and not the bow as the earlier report I read stated. It should allow other ships to pass shortly. World supply of TP will shortly be on the move for all future movements.

Carry on dumping in confidence!
Closed Thread

Tags
coffee, news, canal, suez, paper

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.