NFL Players and Their Communities.

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2017, 09:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts
Default NFL Players and Their Communities.

NFL Players Association - Players Give Back

Research how many good works NFL players and other professional athletes have done in their communities before dismissing their concerns about how some members in their communities are sometimes treated by others.

Here Are Some NFL Players Doing Great Things In Their Communities | The Surge™
Old 09-24-2017, 09:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

By Henry Holcomb Bennett

HATS off!

Along the street there comes

A blare of bugles, a ruffle of drums,

A flash of color beneath the sky:

Hats off!

The flag is passing by!

Blue and crimson and white it shines,

Over the steel-tipped, ordered lines.

Hats off!

The colors before us fly;

But more than the flag is passing by.

Sea-fights and land-fights, grim and great,

Fought to make and to save the State:

Weary marches and sinking ships;

Cheers of victory on dying lips;

Days of plenty and years of peace;

March of a strong land’s swift increase;

Equal justice, right and law,

Stately honor and reverend awe;

Sign of a nation, great and strong

To ward her people from foreign wrong:

Pride and glory and honor,—all

Live in the colors to stand or fall.

Hats off!

Along the street there comes

A blare of bugles, a ruffle of drums;

And loyal hearts are beating high:

Hats off!

The flag is passing by!
Old 09-24-2017, 09:57 PM
Sage

IN FLANDERS FIELDS POEM

By Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place: and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the dead: Short days ago,
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved: and now we lie
In Flanders fields!
Take up our quarrel with the foe
To you, from failing hands, we throw
The torch: be yours to hold it high
If ye break faith with us who die,
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields
Old 09-24-2017, 09:58 PM
Sage

The flag is a symbol to me of the men and women who have died for the freedoms it is supposed to protect from encroachments by the Federal and State governments whoever may be in office.

The NFL team owners, coaches, and many others are standing by their players in their expression of their First Amendment rights. It is the NFL against the sitting government for the most part. It is not the NFL against NFL players.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:00 PM
Sage

God Bless the U.S.A. by Lee Greenwood - YouTube
Old 09-24-2017, 10:03 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation I don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
NFL Players Association - Players Give Back

Research how many good works NFL players and other professional athletes have done in their communities before dismissing their concerns about how some members in their communities are sometimes treated by others.

Here Are Some NFL Players Doing Great Things In Their Communities | The Surge™
As Tommy Lee Jones said to Harrison Ford in The Fugitive, when Ford said he did not kill his wife: "I don't care."

People's concerns can be expressed in some manner other than disrespecting our Flag and our National Anthem. Speech has consequences.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
As Tommy Lee Jones said to Harrison Ford in The Fugitive, when Ford said he did not kill his wife: "I don't care."

People's concerns can be expressed in some manner other than disrespecting our Flag and our National Anthem. Speech has consequences.

It does have consequences but not from the NFL team owners, coaches and others. They are standing by their players. And this seems more about who happens to be the person most playing at being patriotic at the moment.

I am trying to get people to look at these NFL and NBA players rather than making everything about something it is not.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
It does have consequences but not from the NFL team owners, coaches and others. They are standing by their players. And this seems more about who happens to be the person most playing at being patriotic at the moment.

I am trying to get people to look at these NFL and NBA players rather than making everything something it is not.
Tal.

The original player, Kaepernick, knelt in protest of police officers treatment of black people, or so he said. I understand his feelings but I don't understand nor can I support his actions. I don't think anyone is "playing at being patriotic at the moment". Many of us have lived in different times than you. Decades longer than you and have a long history of patriotism.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:27 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation Be consistent.

Quote:
The flag is a symbol to me of the men and women who have died for the freedoms it is supposed to protect from encroachments by the Federal and State governments whoever may be in office.

The NFL team owners, coaches, and many others are standing by their players in their expression of their First Amendment rights. It is the NFL against the sitting government for the most part. It is not the NFL against NFL players.
You just don't seem to get it.

Nobody's First Amendment Rights are at risk in the NFL. The First Amendment is a protection against being arrested by THE GOVERNMENT for something you say. No one in the government has threatened anyone with arrest.

However, disrespect for our Flag is an issue with the PUBLIC. Those of us who object to this disrespect have the option of turning off the NFL. Which I have done.

Further, I hope the NFL loses millions of dollars as long as the owners, coaches, etc. "stand by their players" in their disgusting behavior. They are now complicit in this disrespect of our nation.

--------------------------

I find it interesting that you seem to support the NFL player's "free speech," while on another thread you have repeatedly called for the censorship, indeed the banishment from TOTV, of the free speech of others whom you dislike.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:48 PM
Gold member

This, the bogus charges of White Supremacy and the Immigration Policy which favors non-whites is all about denegrating the white race, especially men. And it seems to be working. . Too bad all the white men in Arlington Cemetary cannot speak up.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:15 PM

When will the NBA and NFL finally address integration? Far too few, Indians, Jews, Peurto Ricans, Jamaicans, and Orientals. Seems as though only one race is over represented yet no complaints from the protesting crowd?
Old 09-25-2017, 07:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I understand what you are saying. Again the president spoke without diplomacy. I have to say I kind of agree with him on this, but if the NFL teams fire everyone, then there will be no business for them and many lawsuits. Nothing is ever simple in this world.

AND I supposed because of how we were raised and the times we were raised in, many of us cannot help but feel angry and saddened by all this.
The NFL teams are not going to fire anyone. They are supporting their players.

And I get the respect for the flag I have that too. I also have respect for the US Constitution and the First Amendment which allows parties to stand up against authorities. Read the Declaration of Independence for instance. That is a statement of grievances against the King of England. King speaks for first time since independence declared - Oct 31, 1776 - HISTORY.com
Old 09-25-2017, 07:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
The NFL teams are not going to fire anyone. They are supporting their players.

And I get the respect for the flag I have that too. I also have respect for the US Constitution and the First Amendment which allows parties to stand up against authorities. Read the Declaration of Independence for instance. That is a statement of grievances against the King of England. King speaks for first time since independence declared - Oct 31, 1776 - HISTORY.com
Some people have more difficulty with abstraction than others.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Some people have more difficulty with abstraction than others.

This might help. The words of an NFL leader and an NFL Team Owner.

The sports community reacts to Trump's comments on NFL player protests | WJLA

Except for Trump's base of fans, few are supporting what this man has been saying about the NFL.

Quote:
For me to single out any particular group of players and call them SOB's, to me, that is insulting and disgraceful. So I think the players deserve credit for what they do. And when it comes to speech they are entitled to speak. And we are entitled to listen. We are entitled to agree or disagree. But we're not entitled to shut anybody's speech down. Sometimes you don't like what you hear and that is true in life in lots of contexts, but you can't shut people down and be disgraceful when you are doing it.
— Former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue.
___
As owners, it is our job to foster an environment that recognizes and appreciates diversity of thought and encourages using this platform in a constructive manner. Rather than make divisive statements, we believe in promoting thoughtful, inspiring conversation that unifies our communities. We are proud of our players, coaches and staff for the important role they play in our community, and we fully support their constitutional right to respectfully and peacefully express their beliefs.
— Minnesota Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf and the entire Wilf family.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 09-25-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:25 AM
Gold member

. Lumping all white people into one category by calling us White Supremacists is pure hate speech and Racism in its purist form. Not a peep about the thousands of actual black people murdered in cities like Chicago and Baltimore. A black man shot up a Nashville church yesterday killing one young woman and wounding many others and Press never mentioned race. If all these crimes were committed by whites against blacks the entire Nation would be in complete chaos.
Closed Thread

Tags
communities, nfl, players, concerns, members

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.