NO 'bullpen', YES 'arm barn'...???

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2021, 07:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default NO 'bullpen', YES 'arm barn'...???

Personally I am ALL FOR 'ethical treatment of animals'. To a degree. And I'm truly not sure what that degree is. But when PETA releases an announcement as this... hmmm...REALLY?

but nothing re - gloves made from cowhide, the baseballs, etc etc. So, when it comes to innocent language idioms in sports, really PETA?

For Immediate Release:
October 28, 2021

Moira Colley 202-483-7382

New York – As the World Series turns into a pitching duel, PETA is pitching a proposal to the baseball world: Strike out the word “bullpen,” which references the holding area where terrified bulls are kept before slaughter, in favor of a more modern, animal-friendly term. PETA’s suggestion? The arm barn!

“Words matter, and baseball ‘bullpens’ devalue talented players and mock the misery of sensitive animals,” says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. “PETA encourages Major League Baseball coaches, announcers, players, and fans to changeup their language and embrace the ‘arm barn’ instead.”

PETA notes that cows are hung upside down and their throats are slit in the meat industry, while in rodeos, gentle bulls are tormented into kicking and bucking by being electro-shocked or prodded—all are typically held in a “bullpen” while they await their cruel fate.

PETA’s Call to the ‘Bullpen’: Rename Outdated Term ‘Arm Barn’ | PETA
Old 10-29-2021, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Live and learn something daily.
Being an ignorant Brit, I always thought the ball chuckers warmed up in the 'Ball' pen, and only came out when a fight started.
This whole change/cancel nonsense is a load of old bull anyway!
Old 10-29-2021, 08:57 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Personally I am ALL FOR 'ethical treatment of animals'. To a degree. And I'm truly not sure what that degree is. But when PETA releases an announcement as this... hmmm...REALLY?

but nothing re - gloves made from cowhide, the baseballs, etc etc. So, when it comes to innocent language idioms in sports, really PETA?

For Immediate Release:
October 28, 2021

New York – As the World Series turns into a pitching duel, PETA is pitching a proposal to the baseball world: Strike out the word “bullpen,” which references the holding area where terrified bulls are kept before slaughter, in favor of a more modern, animal-friendly term. PETA’s suggestion? The arm barn!

“Words matter, and baseball ‘bullpens’ devalue talented players and mock the misery of sensitive animals,” says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. “PETA encourages Major League Baseball coaches, announcers, players, and fans to changeup their language and embrace the ‘arm barn’ instead.”

PETA notes that cows are hung upside down and their throats are slit in the meat industry, while in rodeos, gentle bulls are tormented into kicking and bucking by being electro-shocked or prodded—all are typically held in a “bullpen” while they await their cruel fate.

It all started with Golf Balls. Until the mid-19th century, the featherie was the standard golf ball. It was made of cow or horsehide which was stuffed with feathers; most often goose feather. The leather, in order to be easier to work with, was soaked in water. We pay extra for Pleather in our car upholstery thinking it real leather. It’s no big deal.
“ What is the Most Baseballs Used in One Game? According to an MLB equipment manager, up to 120 baseballs can be used per game. This is due to the number used up between home runs, fouls, scuffs and from players tossing them to the stands.”
As a kid I had 1 ball that lasted all summer if the cover fell off we covered it with tape.
These days, footballs are typically made from cowhide or vulcanized rubber, making their nickname “pigskins” somewhat ironic.

Last edited by Dana1963; 10-29-2021 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Add golf ball info
Old 10-29-2021, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:

For Immediate Release:
October 28, 2021

If the Commissioner of Baseball agrees to this idiocy, then he is as big an imbecile as those that run PETA. I'll think I'll go out and hunt a whale now
Old 10-29-2021, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,503 Posts
Default Whale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
If the Commissioner of Baseball agrees to this idiocy, then he is as big an imbecile as those that run PETA. I'll think I'll go out and hunt a whale now
Please! I resemble that remark!
Old 10-29-2021, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

PETA does things like this all the time , it’s just some humerus way of getting there message out and it works . If you get all huffy over the message , PETA probably thinks that’s just as funny as I think it is
Old 10-29-2021, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,067 Times in 2,743 Posts

Doesn’t PETA stand for “people eating tasty animals”?
Old 10-30-2021, 05:23 AM
Veteran member

You were lucky to have an actual ball, we had to use stones
Old 10-30-2021, 05:23 AM
Veteran member

And that really hurt when the picture hit the batter
Old 10-30-2021, 06:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Rob Manfred definitely fits your description. Go Braves. Chop til you drop!
Old 10-30-2021, 06:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:

For Immediate Release:
October 28, 2021

I lost respect for PETA thirty years ago after some of their terrorists broke into my uncle’s lab at a medical school where he was doing experiments with rabbits while seeking a cure for leprosy. They freed several hundred caged lab rabbits, destroying years of research.

This is a fringe organization of zealots. They make a lot of noise and make the headlines, but they don’t represent the vast majority of us. Some of them are dangerous. A lot of animal lovers who don’t like cruelty to animals assume that they are on the same side, but that is not necessarily true. Better to donate to your local animal shelter to help them pay for spaying and neutering of strays and feral cats.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:09 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,064 Times in 533 Posts

Quote:
Imbeciles? They are pulling in a fortune with their idiocy. It's a money making machine.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:26 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Bull pen

What a joke! Is this all our country has to worry about.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:32 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

The circus is coming back...with no animals.... Crazy world.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan1717 View Post
Where is PETA regarding Fauci and his dog torture??
You need to dig a lot deeper than just the sound bite….to understand .

Tags
peta, baseball, pitching, world, language

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.