No fault insurance question

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2018, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-21-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:39 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,287 Times in 1,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Here's my experience when I got rear-ended at the Marathon Station on 466A while waiting to move out into traffic. The fellow that ran into me, admitted his foot slipped off the brake. He actually pushed my car out into the street, fortunately no traffic was in that lane. I drove around the block and came back around he was in the bank parking lot waiting.

He gave me his name, phone number and his insurance info, it was Travelers. When I got home, I called Travelers and they said an appraiser would be at my home tomorrow. I never called my insurance company.

The appraiser estimated the damage at $1200 and they would pay for a car rental while mine was being repaired. I asked if he recommended one shop over another, or the dealer. He said, it didn't matter, but he heard good things about Car Guys in Lady Lake. He said, I'll put this in the system and wait about 15 minutes and you can call the repair shop.

I called Car Guys and they asked for the Travelers claim number, they said they had the info, and to bring in my car tomorrow and it would be fixed in one day. They said would I need a rental, I said yes, they said we'll call Enterprise at LSL and they'll come and pick me up at Car Guys.

I took my car in and was picked up by Enterprise and got a rental car at LSL and went home. The next day I got a call from Car Guys, they said once the techs got under the car, there was more damage to the trunk. I said do you want me to call the appraiser. They said, No, they had already done that, and he had stopped by and approved $2400 in repairs. However, my car would probably be 3 or 4 days to get fixed.

The next week they called and said it was ready, and I drove to LSL dropped off the rental, and they took me to Car Guys and my car was like new. The bumper didn't really need painting, it was not scratched, but bumped in. However, I know they repainted the bumper because the old dealer sticker was not there anymore, and the car looked like new. They did a fantastic job, and Travelers was great to work with and I never informed my insurance company.
That was a good experience.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
One of my concerns if I go to their company is that I would have to go to wherever they want to send me and I wouldn't get a loaner.
Not true. You should NEVER use a body shop that your (or their) insurance company sends you. YOU choose a body shop that does NOT use junkyard parts on your vehicle. Make sure they are brand new factory parts. You'll have to fight for it, but it's your right.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:05 PM
Sage

Talked with Travelers today and they said the simplest way is to gall Geico, give them the other guys policy number and they'll take care of it including giving us a loaner while being repaired. They also suggested Car Guys for the repair. I will mention I want new parts only. thanks all.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:55 PM
Veteran member
Default Florida statue

Chapter 626 Section 9743 - 2011 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate
Old 01-08-2019, 11:49 AM
Sage

I called Geico on 1/2 and again on 1/3. They told me I have to wait until they talk to their insured and they have yet to return their calls. Stated that they give them 8 to 10 days to reply. Doesn't matter what the police report says and that the driver received a ticker, they have to talk to their insured. Also found out that he wasn't driving his car, it belongs to someone else so now they have to talk to both of them and neither one has called them back. This tells me something about Geico as well as the driver and owner. Up north when someone hit my son, their at fault driver's insurance company called him within a few hours to set up an inspection.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:12 AM
Gold member

Quote:
I called Geico on 1/2 and again on 1/3. They told me I have to wait until they talk to their insured and they have yet to return their calls. Stated that they give them 8 to 10 days to reply. Doesn't matter what the police report says and that the driver received a ticker, they have to talk to their insured. Also found out that he wasn't driving his car, it belongs to someone else so now they have to talk to both of them and neither one has called them back. This tells me something about Geico as well as the driver and owner. Up north when someone hit my son, their at fault driver's insurance company called him within a few hours to set up an inspection.
Does this mean you are upset with Geico? I can't tell from the post. I have Geico insurance and had a rear end fender bender last year and Geico was nothing less than fantastic. They arranged for everything - contacts with the hitter's insurance company, making arrangements for their adjuster to evaluate damages, appointment with body shop, rental car including delivery and pickup, as well as great follow-up to ensure I was happy.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I would call my agent.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:24 AM
Default There is a lot of missing information

Quote:
Being relatively new to Florida I know nothing about No Fault Insurance. Today my wife got rear ended in a turnabout, police ticketed the offender. I called Travelers and they told me I could file a claim with them and pay my deductible or I could call the offenders company, Geico, and deal with then directly and pay no deductible.. I have insurance for rental reimbursement, if he does not have that coverage, how does this all work??? thanks for any input.
You do not state how much the damage is. What your deductible is. If, your car is drivable.

The good news. The other driver was ticketed. You should get a copy of the police report. When, you car is rear ended it is always the fault of the person who hit you.

I assume you have contact information on the other driver. If, not it will be on the ticket and the accident report that the police officer surely filled out. You may choose to contact the other driver and ask if they are or have reported the accident.
If, the dollar value of the accident is low. IF, YOUR WIFE WAS NOT INJURED. IF, THEY CHOOSE TO DO SO. You may choose to accept a letter that they are guilty, you accept no responsibility
AND THEY PAY YOUR DAMAGES IN CASH OR CERTIFIED CHECK.

Even though you are completely innocent, if they or you report the accident YOUR INSURANCE RATES WILL GO UP.

MY PERSONAL VIEW-you are probably better off, wiser, filing an accident report with your insurance company and letting them fight it out with Geico. Too often the other guilty party will not accept responsibility will claim, invent, so excuse why it is your fault sue you for?????? That will get messy if you choose not to report the accident. You can expect, it will take over a year to get back your deductible. My experience with GEICO similar case where my car was parked and was hit by one of their customers about 30 years ago.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:42 AM
Default Read my post #24 on this thread

Quote:
As I suggested, unfortunately you probably should file a claim with YOUR insurance company.
As I read this post something is fishy. The car driver is not the owner.
I'm not an atty but far as I know even if the car is stolen the person who owns the car is still liable for any damages caused by that car.
BEWARE-that 7-8 day stall by GEICO. You only have ????? seven days after the accident to see a doctor for possible medical injuries.
As to inspection and what they will allow. You may be wise to take your car to a body shop and get a written estimate-it may cost you a couple of bucks. There is the right way to repair your car and there is the CHEAP WAY. Obviously, GEICO will offer you the CHEAP WAY and then likely send you to their repair shop. THEY HAVE NO REASON TO SEND YOU TO THE BEST-JUST THE CHEAPEST.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:50 PM
Sage

There were police on the scene and a report was made along with a ticket for the driver of that car. I don't understand why you would say that our rates would go up since the other driver was at fault. The car is drivable and the damage is not going to have a high dollar figure, it needs a new bumper at a minimum, if anything behind the bumper is damaged that too would need to be repaired or replaced. The car was not stolen as the police spent well over 30 minutes on the computer checking everything before they printed out the information sheet. The patrolman stated that vehicle number one on the information sheet is always understood to be the one at fault and the police report number is on the sheet. I called Wildwood and asked when I could get a copy of the report and they still have not returned my car. I am upset with Geico for the sole reason that they are giving the driver this much time to return their phone calls. I also understood that you have two years to file a medical injury claim. I was also told by Geico that they would send out an inspector/estimator to look at our car. I'm going to let this play out a little longer so I can see what happens and how honest everyone is in regards to the insurance companies and I don't particularly want to wait up to a year to get back $500.00 The driver will not be calling them back based on his attitude. I think I noted earlier that a witness came forward that saw him crash the stop sign and tailgate my wife and when she went over to speak with my wife the driver stated "This has nothing to do with you and to leave" very hostile statement and I'm sure he knows all of the stall tactics. The witness chose to stay until the police arrived however they told her a statement was not required as they knew who was at fault.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
I just called my agent at TV insurance and the operator said I have to talk with someone in claims not my agent so waiting for a call back.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:07 PM
Sage

Okay, just got of the phone with Julie in Claims at TV Insurance. She said that it is standard to give them 8 to 10 days for a reply from their insured. If their insured states that they don't want to admit fault, even with a ticket and police report, that Geico will not cover it and I would have to file a claim with my insurance. She further stated that I am doing it correctly and if Geico DOES take care of it there will be no future problem with rates. However if I file it through Travelers we would have a "no Fault" claim on our file and it could impact future rates. This seems to be pretty much BS down here.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,423 Times in 5,111 Posts

I don't think your insurance company cares whose fault it is. If you file a claim and they pay, it can affect your rates. The best thing to do is to try to convince the other guy's insurance to pay. If they won't, it may not be worth filing a claim to collect $500.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

It is a fact that The Villages Insurance is Compartmentalized. Your agent sold you the policy. That person is done with you until next year when you have to challenge their rate increase. The Claim Department I used was at Travelers not The Villages Ins.

Your call should be to your own insurance company. Let them worry about what could be a tangled web. Get names along your telephone journey and keep notes about your call, make them take their time with you, make sure you feel comfortable with the info you are given at each step. Whatever you do IMHO don't go in your pocket for one Red Cent. Travelers were wonderful with a minor Accident I had a couple of months back. Even if they are a little $$ MORE $$ next time I'm going to stick with them. A professional no Monkey Business Operation. Good Luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
insurance, pay, deductible, fault, company

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.