No fault insurance question

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2019, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-17-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
My rear-end collision that I detailed in post #16 and was handled totally by the other driver's insurance. Travelers sent the appraiser to my home the day after the accident, I took the car to Car Guys, I rented from Enterprise during the reapir and picked up my car and never saw the $2400 bill. The other driver's insurance paid it all.

However, this past year I traded in a $40,000 Camaro for a $24,000 Hyundai and the insurance went up $50 higher. Then in December they raised it another $100 a year. This is from USAA a not-for-profit insurer for veterans. I contacted Progressive and they were $40 cheaper and then I contacted AAA and they were $184 a year cheaper. I switched after eight years with USAA, in which they never had to pay a claim or did I have a ticket.
I had the same experience with a rear end collision, where the other guy's insurance took care of everything, and I never filed a claim with my company. That is how no fault insurance is supposed to work. If you have a police report or other evidence that the other guy was at fault, and his insurance won't pay, then I would send a letter to state insurance commissioner, with a copy to his insurance company. Insurance companies price their policies based on the claims they have to pay for you. They don't care whose fault it is. That is why it is better to handle it through the other guy's insurance, if possible.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-09-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:52 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
It is a fact that The Villages Insurance is Compartmentalized. Your agent sold you the policy. That person is done with you until next year when you have to challenge their rate increase. The Claim Department I used was at Travelers not The Villages Ins.

Your call should be to your own insurance company. Let them worry about what could be a tangled web. Get names along your telephone journey and keep notes about your call, make them take their time with you, make sure you feel comfortable with the info you are given at each step. Whatever you do IMHO don't go in your pocket for one Red Cent. Travelers were wonderful with a minor Accident I had a couple of months back. Even if they are a little $$ MORE $$ next time I'm going to stick with them. A professional no Monkey Business Operation. Good Luck.
My first call was to Travelers Claim department, they told me the same thing, file the claim with Geico which I did. TV claims department told me the same thing.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:30 PM
Sage

Update: After the 10 day period of trying to get the insured to confirm it was there fault to no avail, I sent Geico a copy of the police report (they said it would take them 30 days to get a copy from Wildwod) stating that their insured was at fault due to careless operation. Within an hour they acknowledged responsibility, one of their approved lifetime guarantee body shops is Car Guys which I would have chosen so that's good, I drop the car off on 1/23, there will be and adjuster there as well as a rental car. One stop shop. It appears to have worked out well, didn't have to put up the deductible and still having Car Guys do the work. 18 days since the accident and all is well, at lear at this point. If I have any problems I'll reply again but hopefully this is the last post. Thanks for all of the advice.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:33 PM
Veteran member

Did you ask if replacement parts will be OEM?
Old 01-16-2019, 01:34 PM
Sage

I did and the answer was "the adjuster will go over that with you at your estimate appointment" that is when I'll ask. If it is as it looks, only the plastic bumper cover which is cheap even if made by Honda, I really don't care who made it as long as it looks good and has a lifetime guarantee. If it's more than just the cover I'll see what they say when I get there. I was given the option to go anywhere I choose for the repair but would not get the lifetime guarantee unless it was one of their approved shops. I'll take the guarantee, less of a gamble for future problems.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:36 PM
Sage

One more thing, someone stated you have 7 days to see a doctor for injuries. Geico called on that and stated we have 4 years to file an injury claim and all tests and procedures would be covered by them if they were found to be caused by the accident.
Closed Thread

Tags
insurance, pay, deductible, fault, company

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.