No guidelines for airline passenger safety?

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2020, 06:21 AM
Default Just a way to make you feel safe!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Authorities are trialing a 20 minute neg/pos. test for virus in one of the counties in UK.
If it works as they think it will, could be the way airlines go to check passengers prior to boarding.
Just another queue!
What they are doing is taking your temperature, if you have a fever you won’t be allowed to fly, but according to what we know, you might be infected without fever or show any signs of sickness and still be a carrier and potentially infect your fellow passengers, The other test is not that accurate at least yet, that appears to be what happened on the flights coming from China and Europe which our President stopped. There are no way to keep you safe under the current scenarios while flying, masks are inadequate since the virus can enter through them, the only safe is a respirator or a mask with a face shield like the hospitals use. Sorry, I would not be flying anytime soon!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2020, 06:28 AM

Maybe not in the short term but in the long term they can be banned from flying on that airline. If you cause trouble at Disney World or shop lift at Walmart that’s your last trip there. It can be enforced through facial recognition technology.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:32 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Based on current federal guidelines for social distancing one would then not enter an airplane.

Physically impossible to maintain social distancing.
Exactly. Unless there is a life and death emergency, why would anyone even consider getting on a plane or even a cruise ship right now. This wont last forever. Stay home or drive to your destination instead.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Exactly. Unless there is a life and death emergency, why would anyone even consider getting on a plane or even a cruise ship right now. This wont last forever. Stay home or drive to your destination instead.

exactly

Until there is a vaccine we're not getting on a plane or a small cruise ship...nor do we really want anyone flying down to visit us until there is a vaccine...otherwise, there's no point in trying to 'play it safe / social distance' with everything else

yup...disappointing that we're not able to knock off a few more bucket list items and our 'run way' for doing that is getting shorter...so we're giving a lot more to those in need
Old 05-22-2020, 06:52 AM

It would bankrupt them.

We need transporters!
Old 05-22-2020, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrocarrasco01@yahoo.com View Post
What they are doing is taking your temperature, if you have a fever you won’t be allowed to fly, but according to what we know, you might be infected without fever or show any signs of sickness and still be a carrier and potentially infect your fellow passengers, The other test is not that accurate at least yet, that appears to be what happened on the flights coming from China and Europe which our President stopped. There are no way to keep you safe under the current scenarios while flying, masks are inadequate since the virus can enter through them, the only safe is a respirator or a mask with a face shield like the hospitals use. Sorry, I would not be flying anytime soon!!!!!!!

They are testing for Covid-19, with a new test they hope will give an accurate neg/pos.result in 20 minutes.
Nothing to do with temperatures, cures, or passengers from China or Europe.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
This is a double edge sword. What do you do when you have to drive 1300 miles ? The drive cannot be done non-stop, well maybe it can but not safely. At least one night in a hotel so how can you be sure you won't get infected in a hotel? What about crossing state lines are there restrictions are they checking out of state license plates when they enter from another state? 22 hours by land 2 hours 40 minutes by air. All factors to be considered.

A cruise ship is not even a consideration without a virus. .
Old 05-22-2020, 08:24 AM
Veteran member

If you cruise …. you loose.
If you fly … you die.
So many people listen to the "talking heads" on the news, and they BELIEVE them!
I'm 72, and I cruise and fly. Never had a flu shot, pneumonia or shingles shot. Never will.
I enjoy living, and take reasonable care of myself. I do not live in fear, and refuse to wear a mask.
Life is out there.....enjoy it while you can. Don't deprive yourself of all the enjoyment that goes with it.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:46 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
If you cruise …. you loose.
If you fly … you die.
So many people listen to the "talking heads" on the news, and they BELIEVE them!
I'm 72, and I cruise and fly. Never had a flu shot, pneumonia or shingles shot. Never will.
I enjoy living, and take reasonable care of myself. I do not live in fear, and refuse to wear a mask.
Life is out there.....enjoy it while you can. Don't deprive yourself of all the enjoyment that goes with it.
Cool. But the mask isn’t to protect you. It’s to protect others from you. You can be infected and show no symptoms yet still be spreading the virus. The mask helps to minimize that. So, if you have no concerns for yourself that’s fine and it’s your choice. But at least give some thought to others and wear the mask when you are asked to.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Authorities are trialing a 20 minute neg/pos. test for virus in one of the counties in UK.
If it works as they think it will, could be the way airlines go to check passengers prior to boarding.
Just another queue!
No test is 100% though. Even the rapid Abbott test is about 82-87% that the White House is using — and recently it was reported to be as low as 48%.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorts View Post
No mask could be enforced, if approved by the government, by putting the no masked person on the no fly list, which is for terrorist.
That can happen only AFTER a passenger has demonstrated that he won't wear a mask on the plane.

This issue doesn't have to do with that. It has to do with enforcing the law DURING the flight. Someone who comes to the airport with a mask - gets on the plane with a mask - and then takes the mask off after the plane is in the air...

CANNOT be ordered to put the mask on. They can't be ordered, because if he refuses - then what? What consequence will he suffer during that flight? You can't arrest him and put him in a jail cell - he's on an airplane, in the air. You can't kick him out. You can't wrestle him down and superglue a mask to his face.

There is no way to make anyone wear a mask in flight. Period.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:30 AM
Default Liability

Why would the airlines get rid of a center seat? Why would they require masks? They wouldn't. There's two reasons why they wouldn't. The first is of course $$$$. They need to make a certain amount of money to stay in business and be profitable. By filling airplanes they can charge is little less. If they cut down on the number of seats they would have to charge more and as a result they may lose passengers. The second reason is they have no liability to filling the airplane. What if everyone on board got the virus who would they blame? They can't "prove" that they got it on the airplane. Therefore, there's no liability for the airline. The more the merrier. But don't they have a conscience? Money tops conscience. It's like a lot of people here that say they're going to live their lives without fear. If they get the virus so be it. But if they unknowingly give it to someone else then so be it as well. After all they don't know that they did it.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,619 Times in 5,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpyo View Post
Why would the airlines get rid of a center seat? Why would they require masks? They wouldn't. There's two reasons why they wouldn't. The first is of course $$$$. They need to make a certain amount of money to stay in business and be profitable. By filling airplanes they can charge is little less. If they cut down on the number of seats they would have to charge more and as a result they may lose passengers. The second reason is they have no liability to filling the airplane. What if everyone on board got the virus who would they blame? They can't "prove" that they got it on the airplane. Therefore, there's no liability for the airline. The more the merrier. But don't they have a conscience? Money tops conscience. It's like a lot of people here that say they're going to live their lives without fear. If they get the virus so be it. But if they unknowingly give it to someone else then so be it as well. After all they don't know that they did it.
They would if the Federal Government required them to do it. Airlines are really not independent businesses. They don't own the airports, the runways, the security system, or the air traffic control system. In fact, the air traffic controllers are Government employees. I think people have been getting sick on airplanes for years, and it has just gotten worse since they have found ways to make seats smaller and to fill every one of them. So, you may be required to share an armrest with a stranger who may have a cold or the flu, for a 6 hour flight. And, there may be a dog and a crying baby sitting next to you. I don't think that is acceptable, especially for a system that is mostly funded by the taxpayers.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:16 AM
Veteran member

I am flying on Southwest today. Got a notice masks are mandatory for all passengers. We got an email asking us to change since the flight we were on was overbooked. Not overbooked for the planes capacity, but for the amount of passengers they would like to keep the plane at. It actually worked out better for us so we did change. Couple other thoughts. Planes today use HEPA filters so it's not the same recycled air you are likely thinking of from the past. I have flown a few times since COVID-19 and have felt perfectly safe each time.

Finally, IMHO living in fear is not living at all. I'm not suggesting you start licking hand rails. Of course take common sense steps to protect yourself, but you have to enjoy life or what's the point.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieER View Post
No test is 100% though. Even the rapid Abbott test is about 82-87% that the White House is using — and recently it was reported to be as low as 48%.
Nothing is 100% sure in life, except death.
The trial they are using is new, they have no numbers or results yet.
Trying something is better than being negative about everything, befor a single result is published.
Closed Thread

Tags
guidelines, follow, capacity, airlines, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.