No guidelines for airline passenger safety?

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2020, 10:34 AM
Default Airlines and social distancing.

The airlines have implemented mandatory masks, they’ve blocked middle seats up to 40% of the capacity. Flight crews are also wearing masks. For those passengers that refuse to follow the rules there will be consequences, we have been told we can and most probably will divert to the nearest safest airport to have the passenger or passengers arrested! But of course our courts never hold the traveling public accountable for their actions, If they throw a few people in jail for extended period and severe fines this nonsense would have stopped along time ago. However it is still one of the safest ways to travel!
Old 05-22-2020, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,359 Times in 2,509 Posts

Pesonally I cannot see how blocking out the middle seat makes one jot of difference.
I have yet to sit in any six foot wide seat on any aeroplane.
It's just window dressing!

Last edited by Two Bills; 05-22-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Pesonally I cannot see how blosking out the middle seat makes one jot of difference.
I have yet to sit in any six foot wide seat on any aeroplane.
It's just window dressing!
Just like wearing gloves....eye wash!
Old 05-22-2020, 12:15 PM
Veteran member

If you patronized a restaurant, hair salon, or grocery store and knew the entire volume of air in those buildings is evacuated every 2-3 minutes, I think that would give many a greater sense of safety. That's what occurs on an aircraft. 50% of that air is then recycled through HEPA filters and re-enters the cabin. How good are HEPA filters in aircraft you ask?

"HEPA or high efficiency particulate air filters have similar performance to those used to keep the air clean in hospital operating rooms and industrial clean rooms. These filters are very effective at trapping microscopic particles as small as bacteria and viruses."

When traveling as a passenger, my advice is to always have the overhead air vent open slightly and blowing on your face to provide fresh air.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, bourbon in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!" -- Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-22-2020, 12:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Just like wearing gloves....eye wash!
What he said!!!
Old 05-22-2020, 12:40 PM
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
They would if the Federal Government required them to do it. Airlines are really not independent businesses. They don't own the airports, the runways, the security system, or the air traffic control system. In fact, the air traffic controllers are Government employees. I think people have been getting sick on airplanes for years, and it has just gotten worse since they have found ways to make seats smaller and to fill every one of them. So, you may be required to share an armrest with a stranger who may have a cold or the flu, for a 6 hour flight. And, there may be a dog and a crying baby sitting next to you. I don't think that is acceptable, especially for a system that is mostly funded by the taxpayers.
I agree to everything you wrote. Your first sentence really is the main subject. Traveling on airplanes is generally a less than pleasurable experience. So in answer to your first statement I have to answer it with a question. Why hasn’t the government stepped in and placed restrictions and requirements on airlines? I’m sure folks could come up with many reasons. However the true reason is because it’s not politically expedient. If it does not personally benefit a politician they will not touch it. Requiring everyone to wear a mask would upset those that don’t want to wear a mask. Saying masks are not required would upset those that want everyone to wear a mask. Requiring seats to be six feet apart would put some airlines out of business. So what do they do? Simply ignore it and say that airlines should do everything possible for the passengers and staff. Whatever that means.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
That's all well and good but how will it be enforced once the plane is in the air? A bunch of people decide to take their masks off and - and what? What'cha gonna DO about it?

Not a thing. They'll fly without their masks on.

Mandatory masks on airplanes *cannot* be enforced.
Actually, it can. One or two reports of arrests for violating mask orders would do the trick. Get 'em on landing.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Actually, it can. One or two reports of arrests for violating mask orders would do the trick. Get 'em on landing.
That doesn't stop them from removing the masks WHILE THEY ARE ON THE PLANE.

Getting them after the fact doesn't do diddly squat in reducing the risk for all the other passengers that they just spent the last 2+ hours with in close quarters.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorts View Post
No mask could be enforced, if approved by the government, by putting the no masked person on the no fly list, which is for terrorist.
Not a bad idea at all.

The consequences, and following through, with putting people who take their masks off while in flight on a 'no-fly' list the same as a terrorist...might just quickly get some folks attention.

And quite frankly, if they are taking their masks off against federal regulations...why shouldn't they be considered "domestic terrorists" when it comes to flying?
Old 05-22-2020, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,496 Posts
Default You can't make me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
That can happen only AFTER a passenger has demonstrated that he won't wear a mask on the plane.

This issue doesn't have to do with that. It has to do with enforcing the law DURING the flight. Someone who comes to the airport with a mask - gets on the plane with a mask - and then takes the mask off after the plane is in the air...

CANNOT be ordered to put the mask on. They can't be ordered, because if he refuses - then what? What consequence will he suffer during that flight? You can't arrest him and put him in a jail cell - he's on an airplane, in the air. You can't kick him out. You can't wrestle him down and superglue a mask to his face.

There is no way to make anyone wear a mask in flight. Period.
How about flight attendants photo document the offenders actions, pilot calls ahead and offender is taken into custody upon landing and charged with assault on everyone on board?
May sound far fetched and extreme, but if told that is what will happen the offender might reconsider and think of his/her own best interest. Just a thought.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:18 PM

because they are greedy
Old 05-28-2020, 09:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

How about we protect ourselves? I surprised some people has made it pass kindergarten. Protect yourself, nobody else going to. I didn’t fly much before, and I’m damn sure not going to fly now unless it’s last resort emergency. The only way I would think of getting on plane would be wearing N95 mask with wrap around sunglasses.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:50 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	image_59576.png
Views:	74
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	84305  
Old 05-29-2020, 02:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,359 Times in 2,509 Posts

I am going to watch the incidents of Covid-19 infection rates among flight crews, before I decide to fly the Atlantic this winter.
If the numbers are low to none, we will fly.
High numbers, we will not.

Building a rowing boat, and got wife doing two hours a day on rowing machine every day, just in case.
I will navigate!
Old 05-29-2020, 04:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
How about flight attendants photo document the offenders actions, pilot calls ahead and offender is taken into custody upon landing and charged with assault on everyone on board?
May sound far fetched and extreme, but if told that is what will happen the offender might reconsider and think of his/her own best interest. Just a thought.
And impractical as well. For it to be considered assault, you would have to 1) prove the person has the virus, 2) they knew they had the virus, and 3) they had the INTENT to spread the virus (mens rea applies).
No DA would ever attempt to try such a case
Closed Thread

Tags
guidelines, follow, capacity, airlines, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.