I-95 Speeding Ticket in Georgia

Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2016, 02:11 PM
Platinum member
Default I-95 Speeding Ticket in Georgia

I’m embarrassed to admit but DH got a speeding ticket on our way down to TV three weeks ago. (No, I didn’t say I told you so but … I TOLD HIM SO!)

Well as soon as we arrived I paid the ticket. Yesterday we received 2 letters and 2 post cards from a total of 4 different lawyers/law firms in Georgia saying that even after paying the fine, we will be billed a $200 super speeder surcharge and that our insurance rates will probably increase by 40%!

All 4 are offering to take our case and claiming that they can reduce the speed and avoid having it on his record.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Since this is the first speeding ticket either one of us has ever had, I am wondering can the lawyers really get his speed reduced and kept off his record?

Thanks for any comments you may have.

PS -
I don't know if it's an effect of being in the villages but since we've been here he has not speeded, has been very calm while driving and generally is being a very good boy. LOL
Old 06-10-2016, 02:51 PM

For the correct answers to your questions, you should first inquire in the state where he has a drivers license as how an out of state ticket will impact his driving record with that state and with your insurance company/agent/broker.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

IMHO, sounds like a scam, I would call the police that gave DH to ticket and ask for the correct information. You may be able to make an anonymous call to your insurance company about rate hike for speeding, or you could contact a local lawyer to see what their take is.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:15 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
I’m embarrassed to admit but DH got a speeding ticket on our way down to TV three weeks ago. (No, I didn’t say I told you so but … I TOLD HIM SO!)

Well as soon as we arrived I paid the ticket. Yesterday we received 2 letters and 2 post cards from a total of 4 different lawyers/law firms in Georgia saying that even after paying the fine, we will be billed a $200 super speeder surcharge and that our insurance rates will probably increase by 40%!

All 4 are offering to take our case and claiming that they can reduce the speed and avoid having it on his record.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Since this is the first speeding ticket either one of us has ever had, I am wondering can the lawyers really get his speed reduced and kept off his record?

PS -
I don't know if it's an effect of being in the villages but since we've been here he has not speeded, has been very calm while driving and generally is being a very good boy. LOL
BK I know what a surcharge is but don't know what a super speed surcharge is but it wouldn't surprise me to find if there is a way to squeeze more money out of the hoi polloi it will be found. I am suspect of this charge?????

Any increase to your insurance is going to be based on the underwriting criteria of the company that insures your vehicle. It will also depend on the households past driving record, accidents ,etc

I can also tell you that it is a common practice in just about every state where letters are sent to those either charged with a driving violation or in an accident. As to the latter it doesn't matter if you are liable or not they will make claim to protect your interests, from insurance companies and the rest of the world
Old 06-10-2016, 03:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Personally, since the fine has been paid I would ignore the letters and would not notify anyone. I don't know where you were in GA, but there is law enforcement near Brunswick (mile marker 36-38) and near Kingsland (mile marker 3) on I-95 every time I've been through there. For the last 20 years.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Personally, since the fine has been paid I would ignore the letters and would not notify anyone. I don't know where you were in GA, but there is law enforcement near Brunswick (mile marker 36-38) and near Kingsland (mile marker 3) on I-95 every time I've been through there. For the last 20 years.
We've often see them set up at around the 12 mile marker as well every time we travel north. Camden county I believe.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I picture Jackie Gleason....(Smokey And The Bandit)....Some *&tch. Same thing with me last year I paid it quickly and no points yet! The nice officer looked like my mother in law without her wig. I was 8 mph over the limit. I believe it's our license plates that get us the attention. I didn't want to speed I was tired and should have stopped for the night. Live and learn.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I can remember listening to Sgt Pepper on the radio in the backseat of the car and it was new a song, I was probably about 16. My dad was driving and were headed south on I-95 to Florida. I had never seen my dad get a ticket before or after that day, but he was pulled over. The policeman said we were speeding and we had to follow him to the station. I never forgot it was Darien, Georgia and the police station was a little building, I don't think it's changed a bit.

Many years later when I was living outside of Savannah in the 1980's I took of bicycling so I could quit smoking. I used to do a 35 mile ride to and from Darien. It was such a weird feeling everytime I got to Darien and then turned around.

The Villages Florida
Old 06-10-2016, 05:21 PM
Gold member

My neighbor had the exact same experience. He did in fact receive the same letter and he did receive an additional fine of $300 which he paid. I can't say if he received any solicitations from any lawyers.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:29 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

OP, up until about 12-15 years we rarely saw a "smoky" in Georgia. Now as we travel Interstate 75 from Chattanooga to Florida when we go from one county to another (about 45 miles) we see a sheriff car from that county. I believe the State of Georgia and the counties of Georgia are sharing in the revenue received from the speeding tickets. Watch the construction zones as the tickets are doubled. They will usually give you five miles---sometimes ten over the speed limit. One speeding ticket will usually not hurt your insurance---that has been my experience with State Farm but it's been 20 years or so since I got a ticket.

I would not contact any of those lawyers that sent you a letter. Gee, you didn't have a wreck, rob or kill somebody---it was just a speeding ticket. Drive 75mph for a couple of years---fast enough anyway. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:38 PM

Hello,
I got one in Virginia and if you are speeding at 80mph or above, you are driving to endanger & must go to court.
So first let me ask you, were you 15mph over the limit? Did they ticket you for Reckless driving or endangerment?
If your answer is no, then you could get a lawyer, get it reduced or dismissed but you will pay the fines and you may have to take a driving class to keep it off your record.
That is what I had to do & it cost me a total of $500 in Virginia and it is not on my record.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:12 PM
Platinum member
Default Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post

PS -
Sure that they will receiv a nice payment from you to save you money.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Probably the same bunch that preys on car warranties. When I transferred to fl. Plates the next month I started getting warranty extension scam. Telling me my basic warranty is about to expire and they could extend it. About every two months I receive the same sales gimmick. I guess they can't find information about my factory warranty was extended when I brought the car for 6 years. But long after the standard factory warranty ran out the still seen me this official looking notice saying time is running out when in fact my factory warranty good till 2018.

I would imagine your speeding ticket is public information and starving lawyers or they pretend to be are trying to ring couple thousand from you speeding ticket. I would think if the state of ga. has extras charges on speeding ticket it would be listed and figured into the fine that you already paid? If I Had any doubt I would call the state of ga. Which number should be on the Simmons you got stating pay or contest, they know most people will just pay the fine rather than making trip to Barney fife county judge which is the business collecting county and state funds.

I got speeding ticket in the middle of nowhere is AZ. It was nation law emforcement officer. Along with the speeding ticket was also ticket for a abusing natural resources. I had to ask what's this for? He say using to much gas. I said I was coasting down hill and didn't want to ride the brakes heading down into white river canyon. Not wanting to go to local office he said I could mail it in. Which I did. Both fines was lees than hundred dollars back in mid 90s. I was very relieved when I got the Simmons in the mail.

I really liked it before the computer age. Your personal information was personal and not on the World Wide Web for sale.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

It also depends on your type of vehicle. I lived in Savannah in from 1972 to 1973, almost two years while in the Army. I left but moved back to Savannah from 1982 to 1988 while I was a business owner and traveled in and around the area and up and down I-95 many times. I admit I have a lead foot, but during all that time in Georgia I had 3 speeding tickets, they were all in the year 1984 when I was driving a white t-top Corvette. Otherwise I was without ticket. So if you have a fast looking car, they will ticket you quicker than the guy in the slow looking SUV or compact car, remember that.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:08 PM
Platinum member

Good point but since we drive a Toyota Camry I don't think we can blame the car LOL

DH was going about 12 miles above the limit.
Closed Thread

Tags
ticket, speeding, record, speed, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.