No prison for Bergdahl?

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2017, 05:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I understand he was tortured for five years. I understand he tried to escape and reunite with his unit. I even understand that he has gone out of his way to assist U.S. agencies in ways to find Taliban sites. BUT the man deserted. Men were injured and killed because of his desertion. For him to receive a dishonorable and, I guess, time served wit the Taliban just seems so wrong. He earned at least some time at Leavenworth.

To me, Bergdahl dishonored this country and our flag far more than any athlete. His actions and this judgment are a slap in the face to every individual who served this nation honorably. What has happened to military justice? When did it become so lax?
In addition to the factors you listed, he supposedly left his unit because he had a mental condition - schizotypal personality disorder. That certainly impacted his actions and his judgement. He shouldn't have been in the military in the first place.

The judge said he would also weigh prejudicial statements made by President Trump about the case as a mitigating factor. The military is very sensitive to the issue of undue "command influence" in the military justice system. If it had not been for that interference, I suspect he would have gotten some prison time.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:59 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

It is a national disgrace twice over. The prior administration ridiculously gave up five terrorists for this scumbag traitor. Then this whack job judge cut him loose. This has made us the laughingstock of the world and demoralized our military.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 11-03-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

Some of the medical crap being waved around is the same as using the insanity plea in criminal courts. A lawyer tactic.

Most of these claims and other what I refer to as permissive BS excuses would be put to rest if the judge would allow Bergdahl's unit members testify. That of course has been ruled out by the judge.

Now that the disappointing ruling has been made, it appears more and more we do not understand the depths and details of the deal Obama made with and for Bergdahl.
The judges current ruling lines up perfectly with Obama's treatment of Bergdahl as a returning hero.

More white washing of obvious wrong doing in America.

Bergdahl abandoned his post in a warlike environment. As a result several Americans were killed and wounded.
Before the age of permissiveness and nobody loses he would have been tried and sent to prison for life or shot as a convicted deserter that he is.

I would venture a guess that if military folks current and past were polled he would not not be let off so lightly. In fact I would wager the death penalty would prevail.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Some of the medical crap being waved around is the same as using the insanity plea in criminal courts. A lawyer tactic.

That's just not true. The diagnosis was made by an independent Army psychiatry board. Because of his psychological problems, Bergdahl washed out of Coast Guard basic training three years earlier, and had to obtain a waiver to join the Army. In addition, some of Bergdahl's fellow soldiers had warned senior officers that they were concerned about his mental health. The judge took this into account, since it is clear officials knew he was mentally unfit for combat. He never should have been allowed to serve.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
In addition to the factors you listed, he supposedly left his unit because he had a mental condition - schizotypal personality disorder. That certainly impacted his actions and his judgement. He shouldn't have been in the military in the first place.

The judge said he would also weigh prejudicial statements made by President Trump about the case as a mitigating factor. The military is very sensitive to the issue of undue "command influence" in the military justice system. If it had not been for that interference, I suspect he would have gotten some prison time.

Agree.

If he had been put in prison he would require extensive medical treatment and cost the taxpayers millions. He now is on his own without any benefits and with a shattered mind from 5 years of torture.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 11-03-2017, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Another slap in the face of those who served.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
understand, taliban, bergdahl, served, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.