Noise Pollution

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Veteran member
Default Noise Pollution

I am wondering if anyone else feels as I do about the proliferation of noise pollution? It seems that everywhere I go I am bombarded by loud music or TV monitors blaring out advertisements. It is getting more and more difficult to have a shopping or dining experience where the ambiance is quiet and peaceful. Who decided that I would spend more time perusing a store if I was subjected to loud rock music? Whose bright idea was it that I would enjoy my meal in a restaurant if I have to yell across the table to converse with others in my party? More often than not I find that I leave stores quickly once I am met at the door by the obnoxious "music" that someone decided would enhance my shopping experience. Maybe that "someone" assumed that everyone in Florida is deaf or hard of hearing? I have decided to start a campaign of e-mailing companies who have made a corporate decision to ruin my shopping and dining experiences by blasting my ears with THEIR choice of music. I do NOT patronize these businesses anymore and I won't return until they have some respect for me and my money. I have actually asked store clerks if they could turn the music down, only to be met with stares and shoulder shrugs. So, maybe I am the weird one? Perhaps my hearing is just TOO good? Is it just me?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:43 AM

As a big fan of quiet, I couldn't agree with you more. Let's take this a step further - what about the people here with radios in their golf carts that blares loudly as they go by? Seriously, can't you take a golf cart ride without it? I don't want to hear your music, especially at the level you have it to be heard over a gas cart! And then there are the people who bring their radios to the pool and for some reason, sit next to me as I am trying to read my book in peace. Don't get me wrong, I love music but do you have to have noise wherever you go?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Gold member
Default Music

"what"
Old 02-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida View Post
I am wondering if anyone else feels as I do about the proliferation of noise pollution? It seems that everywhere I go I am bombarded by loud music or TV monitors blaring out advertisements. It is getting more and more difficult to have a shopping or dining experience where the ambiance is quiet and peaceful.

I have decided to start a campaign of e-mailing companies who have made a corporate decision to ruin my shopping and dining experiences by blasting my ears with THEIR choice of music. Is it just me?
Is isn't just you! I applaud your campaign to e-mail companies aobut noise pollution. Good for you.

Bonefish Grill is one of the few restaurants that I've found where the patrons aren't bombarded with loud music. Even the shop where I have my hair cut has rock music booming.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Is isn't just you! I applaud your campaign to e-mail companies aobut noise pollution. Good for you.

Bonefish Grill is one of the few restaurants that I've found where the patrons aren't bombarded with loud music. Even the shop where I have my hair cut has rock music booming.
Pasta Faire in Belleview used to have wonderful, semi-classical music playing softly in the background....it was so enjoyable to have a meal there. We haven't been there in a while so I don't know if that has changed or not. I hope not. It just doesn't seem to matter these days what kinds of businesses we are patronizing, "ear abuse" is all around us. It would be nice one day to have loud noise go the way of cigarette smoke. I don't smoke and I do not like being subjected to smoke, even outside. But, that said, I realize that smokers need some place to keep puffing away until they can deal with their addiction. Give me a choice! Pipe the loud rock music outside and those who like abusing their ears can go out there! Until I DO have a choice I will give my money to businesses who care about my serenity and enjoyable experience while in their establishments. I agree wholeheartedly about the radios in golf carts....I just don't understand the need to have music blaring 24/7? As for me, I don't want to miss the whistle of the cardinal as he prepares to dart across the cart path. It is my signal to watch for the flash of red that is coming! And, if I had a radio sitting on the dash of my golf cart I might surely miss the pair of sandhill cranes in the fairway just off to my left. Their call is unmistakable and so unique. The only distractions I want are the natural ones that I moved here to listen to. Otherwise, if I have to be subjected to music just keep it enjoyable and low. The people who feel they HAVE to have a radio going right next to others at the pools are just plain inconsiderate. No place is safe from noise pollution.

Last edited by VillagesFlorida; 02-03-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Default In reference to loud music piped outside

Havana had to bring their music inside after neighbors complained about the loud music.

But I am with you. I enjoy music while eating, but not so loud that you can hear the person sitting next to you.

From Liberty, MO
Old 02-03-2011, 05:17 PM

I agree completely. I dont even like the local radio playing on the
loudspeakers at LSL!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gage405 View Post
i agree completely. I dont even like the local radio playing on the
loudspeakers at lsl!
wow!!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Platinum member

I have always been bothered by (for which you may, almost certainly, read "annoyed by") the piped-out-into-the-world presence of WVLG around either Square.

I have always been bothered by the ear-bending noise at virtually every eating establishment you care to think of.

A group I meet with every month always likes to find a place after our meeting for a peaceful dinner, so that we can talk amongst ourselves without straining either our ears or our vocal chords! Such venues are almost impossible to find!

I suppose it's all related to today's addiction to the modern instant-communcation addiction!

Ah, well, I'm pretty sure that we old fossils [i.e., those of us over 70] will soon die out, and those remaining can do whatever nonsense they want!

SWR
Old 02-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Sooooo true!

Not only restaurants either...
Had an appointment at Professional Salon, unbelievably LOUD, how can they possibly think that the LOUD music is soothing to the ear...Ugh!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:58 PM

I agree, I treasure quietness. I'm only 54 and have just begun researching a move to The Villages. I will be sorely disappointed if I can't sit at the pool and enjoy quietness while I read a book. In some instances, such as this, maybe the person who enjoys the loud music could use earphones?
I also agree that loud music at a restaurant is inappropriate. Music is okay, in the background, but not so loud that you have to talk louder than normal in order to be heard by your dinner companion. This would be a deal breaker for me; I would avoid the restaurant in the future.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Bosoxfan

It doesn't get any better than this and I am loving every minute of it! Cumberland Center, Maine, Yarmouth, Maine, Westbrook, Maine, The Villages, Fl.

Sounds like this statement isn't true!! No music!! This is insane!!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

My gripe lately is the very loud background music on television soaps and sitcoms where the music muffles the dialogue!! I've written a number of times to the programs about this and nothing changes as well as no responses.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 02-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
It doesn't get any better than this and I am loving every minute of it! Cumberland Center, Maine, Yarmouth, Maine, Westbrook, Maine, The Villages, Fl.

Sounds like this statement isn't true!! No music!! This is insane!!
I didn't say "NO" music! And, I didn't say that the noise pollution was confined to The Villages! I think if you reread what I have written you will see that I am advocating for music that doesn't disturb every day activities. Music is wonderful and I love it! I just don't like being overmodulated by it!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Gold member

One persons music is another persons noise pollution. I believe the marketing folks determined that certain types of music will encourage you to buy more in stores and that is when the music started. Some places even resort to using scents to encourage sales. It is the same reason television commercials are played at high volume. I wonder if these marketing geniuses think they can sell something to me by irritating me? I would love to have people like VillagesFlorida for my neighbors.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.