Northeast folks

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2020, 10:50 AM
Default Northeast folks

Anybody here from the Northeast watch wrestling hosted by the announcer Ray Morgan in the late '50s to early '60s and remember Antonino Rocca, Buddy Rogers, Johnny Valentine, Karl Von Hess, Ricki Starr, Sailor Art Thomas, Cowboy Bob Ellis, Sweet Daddy Siki, Handsome Johnny Barend, Chief Big Heart, The Fabulous Kangaroos, The Graham Brothers, Tolos Brothers, The Bastien Brothers and Mark Lewin/Don Curtis?
Old 08-10-2020, 11:13 AM
Veteran member
Default Rassling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Osmond View Post
Anybody here from the Northeast watch wrestling hosted by the announcer Ray Morgan in the late '50s to early '60s and remember Antonino Rocca, Buddy Rogers, Johnny Valentine, Karl Von Hess, Ricki Starr, Sailor Art Thomas, Cowboy Bob Ellis, Sweet Daddy Siki, Handsome Johnny Barend, Chief Big Heart, The Fabulous Kangaroos, The Graham Brothers, Tolos Brothers, The Bastien Brothers and Mark Lewin/Don Curtis?
Rocca was my grandmother's favorite. She was 83. She thought it was real. "Why doesn't the ref see that Nazi is hiding a piece of glass?"
Old 08-10-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann
Rocca was my grandmother's favorite. She was 83. She thought it was real. "Why doesn't the ref see that Nazi is hiding a piece of glass?"
Glass? Wow! I've heard of brass knuckles. Sounds like Von Hess was employing some interesting tactics.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

In early 60s I remember cowboy bob Giegle, stomper, sheriff sonny Myers mostly in Midwest. Gus Kairus was the promoter.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Did you mean Cowboy Bob ORTIN?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 08-15-2020, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
I grew up on Long Island, NY. I never followed wrestling but I do remember one name.......Bruno Sammartino.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev
Did you mean Cowboy Bob ORTIN?
No, not Orton. He came yrs later. Ellis was a top name in the late '50s and early '60s in several territories.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

My dad used to watch wrestling back in that era, but it was broadcast during the afternoon on Saturday....once and a while I'd watch a match with him.....I never could figure out if he truly believed any of it was real...he got back into watching it big time when he retired in the early 80's

Killer Kowalski was one of his favorites...I seem to recall the show he watched was referred to as "Chicago Big Time Wrestling"...not sure which one of the Boston TV stations carried it
Old 08-16-2020, 05:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,028 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
My dad used to watch wrestling back in that era, but it was broadcast during the afternoon on Saturday....once and a while I'd watch a match with him.....I never could figure out if he truly believed any of it was real...he got back into watching it big time when he retired in the early 80's

Killer Kowalski was one of his favorites...I seem to recall the show he watched was referred to as "Chicago Big Time Wrestling"...not sure which one of the Boston TV stations carried it
When I was a kid many years ago, wrestling was called Bedlam from Boston and believe Kowalski was the star back than
Old 08-16-2020, 06:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
When I was a kid many years ago, wrestling was called Bedlam from Boston and believe Kowalski was the star back than

Kowalski did run a wrestling school out of Malden, Massachusetts (which is close to Beantown)
Old 08-21-2020, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Found this site.

Gus Karras << Missouri Wrestling Revival
Old 08-22-2020, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts
Default That was killer Kowalski

Quote:
When I was a kid many years ago, wrestling was called Bedlam from Boston and believe Kowalski was the starback than
He had a claw hold he would use ,in later years he had a school for wrestling and some of the modern stars came through he used to work out at a gym in later years in Boston and couldn’t have been more nice
Old 08-22-2020, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,028 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
He had a claw hold he would use ,in later years he had a school for wrestling and some of the modern stars came through he used to work out at a gym in later years in Boston and couldn’t have been more nice
Some years ago there was a wrestler called George the Animal Steele who used to act crazy and wrip apart turnbuckles with his teeth.

Sat near him on a plane once and he could not have been nicer.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Some years ago there was a wrestler called George the Animal Steele who used to act crazy and wrip apart turnbuckles with his teeth.

Sat near him on a plane once and he could not have been nicer.
Saw him at a campground in Wyoming....a hairy son of a gun.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 08-24-2020, 03:49 PM
John41

We watched wrestling when we lived in New Jersey. My sister got Haystack Calhoun’s autograph and talked to him a little at a restaurant. He was a great guy.
Closed Thread

Tags
brothers, northeast, johnny, siki, sailor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.