Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
The chapel
C'est terrible. Heartbreaking.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

The Cathedral

People interested in the Notre Dame Cathedral and its history as well as that of other famous cathedrals might want to take a look at this.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Did You Know

Did you know there is also a "Notre Dame Cathedral" in Chartres, France and part of the movie Hunchback of Notre Dame filmed
in 1939 was filmed in this Cathedral as opposed to Paris. In the scene where Quasimodo is hanging on the Cathedral and is going to jump is actually in the Chartres Cathedral. Chartres is about 58 miles from Paris. You can stand at the side of the Cathedral and see the exact scene of that portion of the movie. It is very hard to see this history as in most cases they just refer to the movie as though it was in Paris. I am not sure how much of the movie if any was filmed in the Paris Cathedral in the 1939 version?
Old 04-17-2019, 11:28 AM
Default The rebuild

So many interesting issues that perhaps few realize.

Will they attempt to rebuild as it was? Materials used simply no longer exists. Workers-where would you find workers who can make and or understand the joints used in building construction centuries ago. Lumber? No home depo. No circular saw. Glue came from animal parts. OH NO-paint came from milk and had lead added to it. Varnish you cannot even buy varnish of the sort that was usued. Will they accept look a likes?

Volunteer? That would be interesting. Other than the fact that I am scared of heights, my back is busted and my skills are at best limited.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
So many interesting issues that perhaps few realize.

Will they attempt to rebuild as it was? Materials used simply no longer exists. Workers-where would you find workers who can make and or understand the joints used in building construction centuries ago. Lumber? No home depo. No circular saw. Glue came from animal parts. OH NO-paint came from milk and had lead added to it. Varnish you cannot even buy varnish of the sort that was usued. Will they accept look a likes?

Volunteer? That would be interesting. Other than the fact that I am scared of heights, my back is busted and my skills are at best limited.
Rebuilding History: How 21st-Century Tech Can Save Medieval Notre Dame

Can Germany's history of fire-ravaged cathedrals offer hope to Notre-Dame? - The Local

This is interesting.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:22 PM
Default Tower of london

We were in England years ago and did the touristy things.

At the Tower of London you are in awe at the age quoted for this stuff. I asked the Ugly American question. You mean to say the Germans did not bomb this historic area in WWII. In private the reply was no, that was built in 1962 etc.

I've not done much research but I do know that Notre Dame was damaged during the French Revolution. I would not be surprised of pilferage during the German Occupation in WWII and later the liberation by the alies.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:26 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Even being retired from construction that stuff still interests the heck out of me. Some of the subcontractors we used used lasers like that to map rooms for masonry and cabinetry. Interesting stuff for sure. Thanks.
Steve
Old 04-17-2019, 12:34 PM
Default Thanks i read your link

As I teased in my previous post, I am scared of heights. One look at that tower and I am still dizzy.

Safety when it was built? I would expect hundreds died in the construction most will never be known.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Default Knowing this may be controversial...

...I am stilled compelled to point out the obvious.

While I can't imagine anyone not being saddened, aghast or depressed (even all three) regarding the horrific fire to the Notre Dame cathedral, before you think about donating to its rebuilding...I offer this.

Although only an estimate (given its tax-free status), just 3 of the Catholic Churches around the world...are estimated to have $85BILLION in assets/cash.

And remember, this only represents 3 (Vatican/Australia/Germany)...of the largest of the church's worldwide entities.

There is no telling, what the total amount really is...if you add up all of the other church locations.

Given that, I would suggest your donation would be much better utilized by giving it to needed places like Puerto Rico/US flood victims/legitimate veteran organizations/or other needy recipients...that don't have that kind of wealth to back them up.

List of wealthiest organizations - Wikipedia
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Catholic Net Worth.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	79295  
Old 04-17-2019, 02:41 PM
Veteran member

Notre Dame is owned by the French Government. The Archdiocese of Paris is allowed to use it for free. This is why the the president of France, Macron, is the one accepting donations and talking about rebuilding rather than the pope or the archbishop of Paris.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
Notre Dame is owned by the French Government. The Archdiocese of Paris is allowed to use it for free. This is why the the president of France, Macron, is the one accepting donations and talking about rebuilding rather than the pope or the archbishop of Paris.
I wasn't aware of that...so thanks for the info.

It doesn't really change the gist of my point though (at least for me), as I still believe the Catholic Church should step up big time (and maybe they have, but I just haven't read about it yet)...and pledge some serious funds for rebuilding.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I wasn't aware of that...so thanks for the info.

It doesn't really change the gist of my point though (at least for me), as I still believe the Catholic Church should step up big time (and maybe they have, but I just haven't read about it yet)...and pledge some serious funds for rebuilding.
I am a member of the Catholic Church and they would if needed. It looks like it is handled. I don't think you are aware of all the good the Church does.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
As a result of your informative post, of which I was previously unaware, I did I what I usually do when I learn something new...and did some research to find the truth.

Here's one thing I found.

Who Actually Owns the Notre Dame Cathedral? The Answer May Surprise You | ChurchPOP
Quote:

“Due to France’s laws regarding secularization, the French government owns all churches built before 1905, including Notre-Dame.

“The government lets the Archdiocese of Paris use the building for free, and will continue to do so in perpetuity. The Archdiocese of Paris is responsible for the upkeep of the church, as well as for paying employees.”
Which explains the status of the building itself (owned by France), but I'm still searching...to see who actually owns the priceless artifacts & art that is/was in it.

Which given all of the other Catholic Churches and their assets around the world...could add up to who knows how many $BILLIONS?

So anyway, thank you for help setting me on a path to finding the truth...and thus increasing my personal knowledge.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

So proud of them, true aloha:
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	7B158AAA-D21E-49D4-B64E-4C04FF689E14.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	79297  
Old 04-17-2019, 06:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
So proud of them, true aloha:
That is cool. Love for the Cathedral of Notre Dame is a world-wide thing.
Closed Thread

Tags
history, flames, speak, sad, paris

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.