Notre Dame in Paris on fire.

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2019, 07:50 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

1. Visited a couple times, first time was during a business meeting in Paris in the mid 1990s. A group of about 8 of us went to ND Cathedral, and took pictures. I decided to ham it up, and put a small backpack I was carrying under my jacket in the upper back. Then posed like the Hunchback of ND. All of a sudden EVERYONE around wanted the same pose for their picture - with ND in the background - we all had a great time...

2. They can NEVER rebuild it completely as it was. period. So IMO, it would not be worth the time, effort, and cost to replicate exactly. My .02 = use modern materials with appearance as timbers etc, but with far less cost, ease of construction, fireproof, long lasting. If they decide to rebuild EXACTLY...visitors would know it's NOT the original. Like trying to repaint the Mona Lisa, or a new Statue of Liberty...
Old 04-17-2019, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
1. Visited a couple times, first time was during a business meeting in Paris in the mid 1990s. A group of about 8 of us went to ND Cathedral, and took pictures. I decided to ham it up, and put a small backpack I was carrying under my jacket in the upper back. Then posed like the Hunchback of ND. All of a sudden EVERYONE around wanted the same pose for their picture - with ND in the background - we all had a great time...

2. They can NEVER rebuild it completely as it was. period. So IMO, it would not be worth the time, effort, and cost to replicate exactly. My .02 = use modern materials with appearance as timbers etc, but with far less cost, ease of construction, fireproof, long lasting. If they decide to rebuild EXACTLY...visitors would know it's NOT the original. Like trying to repaint the Mona Lisa, or a new Statue of Liberty...
You are absolutely correct.

Even if they wanted to and had extremely detailed drawings & plans (which I haven't heard even exist), the original wood used in construction...is no longer even available.

Challenge of Rebuilding (poke here)
Quote:

As the oak frame met its end, so too did remnants of Europe’s dwindling ancient forests.

The wood for the soaring cathedral was first felled around 1160 to 1170, with some of it coming from trees thought to be 300 to 400 years old at the time they were chopped.

That puts the oldest timber in the cathedral at nearly 1,300 years old

Replacing those beams with comparable oak is simply not an option, said Bertrand de Feydeau, vice president of the preservation group Fondation du Patrimoine.

Trees that supplied the roof’s frame came from primary forests—forests that are largely untouched by human activity, he said, according to the AP.

He surmised that the huge trees associated with primary forests are gone too
Old 04-17-2019, 08:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Thank's for starting the Thread Tal. I don't know which is Sadder, The Fire or The Direction Your Thread has taken. I'm Verklempt!
Old 04-17-2019, 08:41 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Thank's for starting the Thread Tal. I don't know which is Sadder, The Fire or The Direction Your Thread has taken. I'm Verklempt!
Yep. Some people post and then edit before mods can delete. Then things get lost in the sauce. Pretty slick.
Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 04-17-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:25 PM
Sage

There are certain posters who, while they think they're clever, are at root self-loathing. They seem to hate Western Civilization when all is said and done.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:55 AM
Veteran member

A bit of related positivity.

LA Times: Notre Dame fire inspires giving for black churches burned in Louisiana

Louisiana officials say the three black Louisiana churches were deliberately set ablaze. St. Landry Parish officials have arrested and charged a suspect with setting the fires that devastated three churches — St. Mary Baptist Church, Greater Union Baptist Church and Mount Pleasant Baptist Church — in the parish over 10 days in March and April.

On Sunday, a crowdfunding site for the three humble churches had pledges totaling just under $50,000. Then on Monday, after flames consumed the roof and spire of the 800-year-old Gothic French landmark and people across the world vowed to rebuild it, calls rang out for solidarity with Louisiana. By late Wednesday, the fund was nearing its goal of $1.8 million.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:19 AM
Veteran member

Glad we visited the beautiful Cathedral twice. What a shame. I'm still amazed that they were able to get anything out. The pipe organ was so beautiful. I wonder what is left of it, if anything.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
A bit of related positivity.

LA Times: Notre Dame fire inspires giving for black churches burned in Louisiana

Louisiana officials say the three black Louisiana churches were deliberately set ablaze. St. Landry Parish officials have arrested and charged a suspect with setting the fires that devastated three churches — St. Mary Baptist Church, Greater Union Baptist Church and Mount Pleasant Baptist Church — in the parish over 10 days in March and April.

On Sunday, a crowdfunding site for the three humble churches had pledges totaling just under $50,000. Then on Monday, after flames consumed the roof and spire of the 800-year-old Gothic French landmark and people across the world vowed to rebuild it, calls rang out for solidarity with Louisiana. By late Wednesday, the fund was nearing its goal of $1.8 million.
Great to hear!
Old 04-18-2019, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

This cathedral welcomed people from all over the world. It’s great beauty was available for anyone who was interested in history.

As a person who has formally studied religion for over a decade, has relatives from every great faith, I am continually surprised by the emphasis on our divisions and not our similarities.

It is as if evil is snarling, waiting at the gates.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
This cathedral welcomed people from all over the world. It’s great beauty was available for anyone who was interested in history.

As a person who has formally studied religion for over a decade, has relatives from every great faith, I am continually surprised by the emphasis on our divisions and not our similarities.

I agree with you.

In reading some of the recent email P mailings, there is actually one that says.....I will take great caution not to give name..."the only real Americans are you, those who support me"

Your last sentence..
"
It is as if evil is snarling, waiting at the gates."

Is right on target

The Cathedral is still magnificent, will be even greater. If you indeed studied religion, you certainly understand this from Gandhi....

""I came to the conclusion long ago . . . that all religions were true and also that all had some error in them, and whilst I hold by my own, I should hold others as dear as Hinduism. So we can only pray, if we are Hindus, not that a Christian should become a Hindu … But our innermost prayer should be a Hindu should be a better Hindu, a Muslim a better Muslim, a Christian a better Christian."
Old 04-18-2019, 01:14 PM
Sage

Yes. Yes. And yes.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:32 PM
Sage

Merci, à toi aussi.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:05 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:

Hello, Velvet,

I have never been to Paris, but my daughter said when she saw Notre Dame, she was suddenly brought to tears by its beauty and history.

And thank you for the rest of your post, too.

There is an old saying in the teaching of writing that says, “Don’t tell. Show.”

I have never seen you, but I can see the voice in your writing. Your inner beauty shows through in your words.

I humbly thank you.

Boomer
Old 04-18-2019, 05:49 PM
Sage

Quote:

It is as if evil is snarling, waiting at the gates
Very well stated.

My concern is that there is currently a large crack in the gate...and evil has already started oozing through.

Let's just hope we can repair the gate...very soon.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Fire-ravaged Notre Dame now stabilized, firefighters leave - ABC News

A computer glitch might be the cause of the Cathedral of Notre Dame fire?
Closed Thread

Tags
history, flames, speak, sad, paris

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.