Notre Dame in Paris on fire.

Notre Dame in Paris on fire.

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 04-15-2019, 09:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Strange that arson was already ruled out without an investigation.
Steve
UPDATE: Arson ruled out; structure of Notre Dame cathedral has been saved - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

People familiar with arson and its signs would be able to tell quickly if it were caused deliberately.

My Dad is a retired insurance claims investigator and then catastrophe manager. I have seen my share of arson investigations from his eyes.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I read where the fire started in the attic in two separate places.

Premature to rule anything out at this point
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2019, 09:01 AM

My $0.02.

1. If it was an accident then it is a national embarrassment that they did not have proper safety protocols in place to prevent this. Yes, things happen. But when you're dealing with a national, international, & religious treasure you should have layers & layers of safety measures.
Brazil recently had a terrible fire that destroyed a museum; that I credit to them being corrupt & incompetent. I expected better from France.

2. There has been a recent rash of vandalism of churches in Europe. Google it, you'll find plenty of "alt-media" coverage, but no mainstream media coverage. One of the most recognizable symbols of the Christian faith burning down at the beginning of Holy Week reeks of something planned.

Praise God that many of the statues & icons had been removed, and that no one was inside.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
My $0.02.

1. If it was an accident then it is a national embarrassment that they did not have proper safety protocols in place to prevent this. Yes, things happen. But when you're dealing with a national, international, & religious treasure you should have layers & layers of safety measures.
Brazil recently had a terrible fire that destroyed a museum; that I credit to them being corrupt & incompetent. I expected better from France.

2. There has been a recent rash of vandalism of churches in Europe. Google it, you'll find plenty of "alt-media" coverage, but no mainstream media coverage. One of the most recognizable symbols of the Christian faith burning down at the beginning of Holy Week reeks of something planned.

Praise God that many of the statues & icons had been removed, and that no one was inside.
Those are good points. I hope they put in many safeguards as they rebuild Notre Dame.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:19 AM

The chapel
Attached Thumbnails
4bc76b4f-b836-480e-b231-e2db72497ede-jpg  
Old 04-16-2019, 12:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
The chapel
C'est terrible. Heartbreaking.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:17 PM
Sage

The Cathedral

People interested in the Notre Dame Cathedral and its history as well as that of other famous cathedrals might want to take a look at this.
Did You Know
Old 04-17-2019, 09:34 AM
Platinum member

Smile Did You Know

Did you know there is also a "Notre Dame Cathedral" in Chartres, France and part of the movie Hunchback of Notre Dame filmed
in 1939 was filmed in this Cathedral as opposed to Paris. In the scene where Quasimodo is hanging on the Cathedral and is going to jump is actually in the Chartres Cathedral. Chartres is about 58 miles from Paris. You can stand at the side of the Cathedral and see the exact scene of that portion of the movie. It is very hard to see this history as in most cases they just refer to the movie as though it was in Paris. I am not sure how much of the movie if any was filmed in the Paris Cathedral in the 1939 version?
The rebuild
Old 04-17-2019, 11:28 AM

Default The rebuild

So many interesting issues that perhaps few realize.

Will they attempt to rebuild as it was? Materials used simply no longer exists. Workers-where would you find workers who can make and or understand the joints used in building construction centuries ago. Lumber? No home depo. No circular saw. Glue came from animal parts. OH NO-paint came from milk and had lead added to it. Varnish you cannot even buy varnish of the sort that was usued. Will they accept look a likes?

Volunteer? That would be interesting. Other than the fact that I am scared of heights, my back is busted and my skills are at best limited.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
So many interesting issues that perhaps few realize.

Will they attempt to rebuild as it was? Materials used simply no longer exists. Workers-where would you find workers who can make and or understand the joints used in building construction centuries ago. Lumber? No home depo. No circular saw. Glue came from animal parts. OH NO-paint came from milk and had lead added to it. Varnish you cannot even buy varnish of the sort that was usued. Will they accept look a likes?

Volunteer? That would be interesting. Other than the fact that I am scared of heights, my back is busted and my skills are at best limited.
Rebuilding History: How 21st-Century Tech Can Save Medieval Notre Dame

Can Germany's history of fire-ravaged cathedrals offer hope to Notre-Dame? - The Local

This is interesting.

Tags
history, flames, speak, sad, paris