Notre Dame in Paris on fire.

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2019, 10:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Hello, Velvet,

I have never been to Paris, but my daughter said when she saw Notre Dame, she was suddenly brought to tears ....

Boomer
Dear Boomer,

I am beyond words, completely humbled. Thank you.

Velvet
Old 04-21-2019, 03:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Cathedral fire: Notre Dame cathedral on fire in Paris

That is incredibly sad to see history up in flames, so to speak.
20190419_110630-jpg

Watching fire on tv and looking at picture my mother sketched when 16 with pen and ink.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Attachment 79344

Watching fire on tv and looking at picture my mother sketched when 16 with pen and ink.
WOW, awesome talent...especially at 16!

Did she ever work professionally at it?

Much harder and infinitely more detailed, than the average amateur dabbler who paints flowers or nature scenes...that's for sure.

I can certainly see where she could have had commercial success.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Attachment 79344

Thanks for posting that. I did a lot of drawings at 16 and 17 but never got to Paris. At least, not yet. Drew a lot of veterans at the Veterans Hospital in Reno, NV when I volunteered every Saturday for a year or so in 1977-1978. I worked off of the photos of a quite talented photographer.

I minored in Religious Studies and I did take a course in Medieval Art which covered the Cathedral of Notre Dame among many other such structures.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
WOW, awesome talent...especially at 16!

Did she ever work professionally at it?

Much harder and infinitely more detailed, than the average amateur dabbler who paints flowers or nature scenes...that's for sure.

I can certainly see where she could have had commercial success.

Thank you Cold no more, never professionally, just dabbled. Very proud of her!
Old 04-21-2019, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Attachment 79344

Your mother's talent is exceptional. Thanks for sharing. The Villages Florida

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2019, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post

Thanks for turning that. Makes it easier to see and Happy Easter.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:38 AM
Sage

Quote:

Thanks chi-town. Sure was eeerie looking at mom's sketch on wall and watching it burn b4 my eyes
Old 04-21-2019, 11:43 AM
Sage

Quote:

Btw, how did you turn, in my album it's right side up, when posting, on side, hmmmm!
Old 04-21-2019, 10:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Btw, how did you turn, in my album it's right side up, when posting, on side, hmmmm!
Downloaded your sideways attachment, rotated it, and uploaded in my post. Easy fix.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:41 PM
Sage

An interesting and comprehensive opinion piece on the history, significance and future...of the Notre Dame Cathedral.

Notre Dame Cathedral Raises Questions About France’s National Identity – Rolling Stone

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 04-21-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:26 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

I see over a billion dollars has been raised to rebuild the iconic church. Really, with all the ills of the world and a billion dollars for a golden calf.

Leviticus 26:1 You must not make idols for yourselves or set up a carved image or sacred pillar, or place a sculpted stone in your land to bow down to it. For I am the LORD your God.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Ther
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
I see over a billion dollars has been raised to rebuild the iconic church. Really, with all the ills of the world and a billion dollars for a golden calf.

Leviticus 26:1 You must not make idols for yourselves or set up a carved image or sacred pillar, or place a sculpted stone in your land to bow down to it. For I am the LORD your God.
I don't want to get too far into France's politics--they have many of the same problems we do.

However, there has been formal separation of church and state since 1905, with all church building ownership going to the State. This is a national heritage issue, a structure with much history and beautiful artwork. I liken it to wanting to rebuild the World Trade Center or the Statue of Liberty, or the Washington Monument. Very few people are "bowing down" to the cathedral in terms of religion. It's a national symbol. Masses are said there, but it doesn't have a parish connected to it.

And yes, the big businesses over here are falling all over themselves to see who can donate the fastest and the most, at a level they don't do to fight poverty. I doubt the majority would be giving much money to the poor in order to fix social and financial inequality in France if they weren't giving it to fix Notre Dame.

It is, after all, their money and their choice, whether you agree with it or not. The first family to donate (€100m) declared they would not take a tax deduction for their donation, thereby leaving more tax euros in France's coffers. I've not read if any others have followed suit, but I hope they will.

Notre Dame should have been properly maintained all along. The church and the State each wanted the onus to be on the other. Little was done. The fire prevention scheme was inadequate, flawed, and based on miscalculations (of how quickly old timber will burn). Of the five parts of a normal fire prevention scheme for a building of this size and age, only one was in place. It was mostly about lack of funds.

Due to financial constraints, France's plan to completely restore Notre Dame was to take 30 years. The first part, €6.8m for the spire, was underway. At least now they have the money to do the whole job, and do it properly.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:09 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Ther

I don't want to get too far into France's politics--they have many of the same problems we do.

However, there has been formal separation of church and state since 1905, with all church building ownership going to the State. This is a national heritage issue, a structure with much history and beautiful artwork. I liken it to wanting to rebuild the World Trade Center or the Statue of Liberty, or the Washington Monument. Very few people are "bowing down" to the cathedral in terms of religion. It's a national symbol. Masses are said there, but it doesn't have a parish connected to it.

And yes, the big businesses over here are falling all over themselves to see who can donate the fastest and the most, at a level they don't do to fight poverty. I doubt the majority would be giving much money to the poor in order to fix social and financial inequality in France if they weren't giving it to fix Notre Dame.

It is, after all, their money and their choice, whether you agree with it or not. The first family to donate (€100m) declared they would not take a tax deduction for their donation, thereby leaving more tax euros in France's coffers. I've not read if any others have followed suit, but I hope they will.

Notre Dame should have been properly maintained all along. The church and the State each wanted the onus to be on the other. Little was done. The fire prevention scheme was inadequate, flawed, and based on miscalculations (of how quickly old timber will burn). Of the five parts of a normal fire prevention scheme for a building of this size and age, only one was in place. It was mostly about lack of funds.

Due to financial constraints, France's plan to completely restore Notre Dame was to take 30 years. The first part, €6.8m for the spire, was underway. At least now they have the money to do the whole job, and do it properly.
WOW! I stand in awe of this post. I am speechless. You have given an undeniable option to my concern about rebuilding a religious statue. I clearly see your point and salute your ability to change my mind. Given your explanation, I will donate to the
reconstruction myself. I assumed religious reasons and I demonstrated the fault in making assumptions.

Thank you for a great alternative opinion piece.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Ther

Good points all, but one shouldn't forget that while France owns the actual building...The Church is allowed to use it in perpetuity.

While I can't seem to find any proof/links, I think I'm on solid ground in suggesting that no other religions...are allowed to hold services/rituals in the cathedral.

Of which, to me anyway, at least negates to a degree the analogy of the WTC/Statue of Liberty/Washington Monument comparison.

Which is why one could legitimately argue either position...on who should have been paying for the maintenance all along.

I do like the idea though, that France 115 years ago decided to actually attempt to...fully separate church and state.

Although our laws technically forbid religious entities from directly & formally contributing money to politicians or Super-PAC's, one can't help but recognize the value/donation of having those behind the pulpit supporting specific candidates/issues (even when delivered 'in code')...while giving their 'sermons.'

Pass a larger/deeper donation plate?

Owned by France...used by Catholics (poke here)
Quote:

“The government lets the Archdiocese of Paris use the building for free, and will continue to do so in perpetuity.

The Archdiocese of Paris is responsible for the upkeep of the church, as well as for paying employees.”

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 04-22-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
history, flames, speak, sad, paris

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.