NOW I’m quite worried re CHINA (no politics!)

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2022, 08:53 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

[QUOTE=sail33or;2121753USA owes more than it can ever pay back (A lot to the Chinese)

USA's current generation never heard of George Washington.

USA building solar and wind farms while China is building more Manufacturing Plants.

Hope our electric tanks with troops wearing gender neutral uniforms waving the Pride Flag can keep up with their big bad diesels.[/QUOTE]

Well, you were doing a pretty good job summarizing things until the last four.

I know personally all my grandkids know all about George Washington.

China is actually a long way ahead of us in Solar and Wind, and are moving forward with carbon reduction policies, while building more cities and factories. The US doesn't build factories because the companies don't want to. Pretty simply economics, pay and taxes is less there than here.

And the last electric tanks, I hope so, but not soon. And troops wearing gender neutral uniforms. As a Marine I take offense at the slight against our military. I don't care if the Marines go out in nothing but pink underwear we are still the best fighting force in the world, despite you hate of some sectors of our society.

Last edited by MartinSE; 08-02-2022 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
This is from today's NY Post. It would be interesting to hear what the military people think of the article.

Here’s what a US war with China would look like

As tensions rise over Pelosi's Taiwan visit, here's what a US war with China would look like
Doubt that military people pay much attention to the NY Post. Well, maybe page 6.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
China has been a considerable threat to the West and USA for decades now. Of course we have totally lost so much manufacturing power in our country and much of our allies. I recall history of early WWll when our auto/truck mfg plants had to retool in order to make airplanes, tanks, ships, army vehicles, guns, ammo etc etc. but we had much of the plants and fabrication -and willing citizens to engineer and make all this.

Of course over these past decades most was transferred to Asia for their low cost labor et al.

This said China has gained much of this within their country. And they have dramatically built their military power esp the last ten years.

Now, the very serious threats from top China gvt re the Speaker and other diplomats expected to visit Taiwan.

But the main reason for my post is how China could just about strangle the West with electronics. Taiwan makes 70% of the world’s Chips. China 10%. We are woefully behind in that capability and others. and much of the worlds raw materials for making solar panels, batteries etc. comes from them.

If China’s threats become reality and they take over Taiwan as they desire, and WILL, are we ready? Nope. Are we ready to push back and take the consequences. Nope.

I’m very frightened…

Again NO politics.
Why are you so frightened? What can you do about it? I refuse to live the rest of my life in a state of fear over that which I cannot control. My advice to you: Cast your one political vote, then, just as The Beatles said many years ago, "Let it Be".
Old 08-03-2022, 07:27 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjelenbaas View Post
Why are you frightened over something you as one person have no control - let our current politicians deal and worry about it - move on and enjoy life
Politicians deal and worry about it? Scary! Some of them spend more time back stabbing each other.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:01 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Why are you so frightened? What can you do about it? I refuse to live the rest of my life in a state of fear over that which I cannot control. My advice to you: Cast your one political vote, then, just as The Beatles said many years ago, "Let it Be".
Why? Why? Simply because I deeply care about our country, our allies, and our world.

And I really care for my family and friends. I have 3 grown children and six great- grandchildren. And family and friends all over our country. I care for their safety and their future. In this great country.

So friend, it’s not living in a state of fear. It’s living in a state of Hope. I hope that our leaders and the leaders of other countries have sanity. We know that some do not and only care to conquer and have more power.

That’s the worry as so many signs indicate a very troubling and very scary future. Sure, let it be…
Old 08-04-2022, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Why? Why? Simply because I deeply care about our country, our allies, and our world.

And I really care for my family and friends. I have 3 grown children and six great- grandchildren. And family and friends all over our country. I care for their safety and their future. In this great country.

So friend, it’s not living in a state of fear. It’s living in a state of Hope. I hope that our leaders and the leaders of other countries have sanity. We know that some do not and only care to conquer and have more power.

That’s the worry as so many signs indicate a very troubling and very scary future. Sure, let it be…
Well, I'm happy to hear you are hopeful. However, you did not communicate that in your original post. You summarized your post by saying, "I'm very frightened", and that, my friend, does not sound very hopeful. Yes, Faith over Fear, and "Let it Be".
Old 08-04-2022, 08:19 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Well, I'm happy to hear you are hopeful. However, you did not communicate that in your original post. You summarized your post by saying, "I'm very frightened", and that, my friend, does not sound very hopeful. Yes, Faith over Fear, and "Let it Be".
Typically, at least for me, I do not get ALL my thoughts into one post. I do get critical of those here who post diatribes and extra long posts. I tried to limit my OP posting. And have others post their thoughts. Sometimes Threads evolve and added thoughts come to mind, as in my case. Yes I’m frightened about this entire China matter but sure hope that sanity prevails.

I would also hope that posters ADD to the topic rather than just an emoji or slam others. Unfortunately that’s how some threads in TOTV evolve.

And I’m glad that this Thread did not go down with the “P” yada. Not sure if the Mods had to delete some.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:53 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,309 Times in 543 Posts
Default China

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
I worked in Beijing forty years ago, as a professor, and I’m nearly done writing a book about that. I never want to go back. However, the population of China is not “enslaved,” though some do forced labor for various reasons, and the government is authoritarian and the people much less free than we are. But China is a nation of hardworking capitalists working hard to get rich, by their standards, or at least improve their standard of living. They are ruled by malign and corrupt but pragmatic Communist authoritarians who are torn between helping their country conquer the world and become wealthy while still pretending that they treasure Marx and Mao, though they don’t. Are there lots of human rights abuses? Yes. Is that our business? Not really. If we don’t like it, we shouldn’t buy things from there. But we do. So we are responsible for the abuses, too. Meanwhile, the problems the Chinese government faces in trying to rule 1.4 billion unruly people are much worse than what our government faces. But the people aren’t “enslaved.”

One sure thing: in business negotiations, the Chinese play hardball. I’ve never heard of a western company or country getting the better of China in a trade negotiation. You think you have a deal and may make a profit, and the Chinese call you back to the table and demand more concessions. Countries like Sri Lanka and countries In Africa are discovering that what they thought were good deals offered by Chinese “friends” are actually ways of “establishing Chinese hegemony,” as the Chinese government says.

We essentially gave China our steel industry, our textile industry, our electronics industry, our pharmaceutical industry, and more—all in the name of increasing profits for investors at the expense of the wellbeing of American workers. We threw away American jobs in order to get better prices at WalMart. Bringing those back means much higher prices, which sounds a lot like inflation, doesn’t it? People now are complaining about the entirely predictable inflation that stems from the pandemic and the need to pay welfare to most of the country for a year. (Did you get a check from the government? Nearly everyone did. And many got salary support, rent reductions, free medical care for Covid, unusually cheap gas that led to thousands of oil wells beIng closed. Well, those payments were welfare. So you’ve been on welfare, many of you who proudly claim that you haven’t, and maybe you liked it. Now the bill is coming due, and we don’t like it. Meanwhile, China is angry because we (rightly) put tariffs on steel and other things.
Nice post and “right on” with what you say.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
China has been a considerable threat to the West and USA for decades now. Of course we have totally lost so much manufacturing power in our country and much of our allies. I recall history of early WWll when our auto/truck mfg plants had to retool in order to make airplanes, tanks, ships, army vehicles, guns, ammo etc etc. but we had much of the plants and fabrication -and willing citizens to engineer and make all this.

Of course over these past decades most was transferred to Asia for their low cost labor et al.

This said China has gained much of this within their country. And they have dramatically built their military power esp the last ten years.

Now, the very serious threats from top China gvt re the Speaker and other diplomats expected to visit Taiwan.

But the main reason for my post is how China could just about strangle the West with electronics. Taiwan makes 70% of the world’s Chips. China 10%. We are woefully behind in that capability and others. and much of the worlds raw materials for making solar panels, batteries etc. comes from them.

If China’s threats become reality and they take over Taiwan as they desire, and WILL, are we ready? Nope. Are we ready to push back and take the consequences. Nope.

I’m very frightened…

Again NO politics.
Just what China was hoping to do, instill fear in the U.S. They have a whole lot to lose if they turn their back on the U.S.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,681 Times in 1,534 Posts

Heard yesterday evening from an Asian source that the SS Ronald Reagan is in the South China Sea enroute to the Taiwan area right now. I don't know if that has made the American news sources or not. In any case, a carrier group bobbing around in the water adjacent to Taiwan is not going to be well-received by the Chinese.

...Another round of brinkmanship coming up?

But in any case, most Americans are ignorant of China and how their system works (or doesn't work). My wife, who knows a lot about Asia and China in particular, explained it: China's system, from the top down, is authoritarian. That means if you look good in the government's eyes, you'll be rewarded. If not, well--baaaaad things might happen. So the effect is that the managers at the lowest levels, regardless of the facts, send glowing reports to their higher-ups, who in turn forward those glowing reports (even if they know it's not factual) to THEIR higher ups, and so on up the ladder. The result is what gets disseminated to media is often grossly untrue, but it forms the essence of what the world knows about China, especially if one trusts media to be factual.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:18 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

All smoke and mirrors. Always something else going on we shouldn't see.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
Well, you were doing a pretty good job summarizing things until the last four.

I know personally all my grandkids know all about George Washington.

China is actually a long way ahead of us in Solar and Wind, and are moving forward with carbon reduction policies, while building more cities and factories. The US doesn't build factories because the companies don't want to. Pretty simply economics, pay and taxes is less there than here.

And the last electric tanks, I hope so, but not soon. And troops wearing gender neutral uniforms. As a Marine I take offense at the slight against our military. I don't care if the Marines go out in nothing but pink underwear we are still the best fighting force in the world, despite you hate of some sectors of our society.
Semper-Fi
Closed Thread

Tags
china, taiwan, make, threats, i’m

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.