Nuisance Calls From Apple Inc

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2018, 11:40 AM
Platinum member
Default Nuisance Calls From Apple Inc

For the last three days we’ve received at least six calls a day from “Apple Inc” stating that our iCloud account has been breached. According to an Internet search it’s a known spam call. First of all, Apple doesn’t have our phone number—to the best of my knowledge. Secondly I would expect Apple to send an email, which they do have. Has anyone else received similar phone calls?

Last edited by REDCART; 03-17-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCART View Post
For the last three days we’ve received at least six calls a day from Apple Inc stating that our iCloud account has been breached. According to an Internet search it’s a known spam call. First of all, Apple doesn’t have our phone number—to the best of my knowledge. Secondly I would expect Apple to send an email, which they do have. Has anyone else received similar phone calls?
The title of your post is misleading. These are not legitimate calls, and they are not coming from Apple, Inc.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:44 AM
Platinum member
Default Yes!

Quote:
For the last three days we’ve received at least six calls a day from Apple Inc stating that our iCloud account has been breached. According to an Internet search it’s a known spam call. First of all, Apple doesn’t have our phone number—to the best of my knowledge. Secondly I would expect Apple to send an email, which they do have. Has anyone else received similar phone calls?
Yes, all day yesterday, and they have already started today! Totally annoying and they ALWAYS leave a voicemail. I, for one, would like to know what it is going to take to stop all this? The methods in place apparently have no effect.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 03-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
The title of your post is misleading. These are not legitimate calls, and they are not coming from Apple, Inc.
No intention to demean Apple. However, that’s what my caller ID shows and the various phone number they use all belong to Apple. Yes I know they can spoof any number they want with caller ID. So please forgive my subject line but I believe it’s as accurate as it needs to be for this discussion.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Three yesterday along with one from the IRS telling us there are arrest warrants out and to call some 814 number.

It does not even sound like a real voice. More like a computer mimicking a human voice.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Is it not anything good. Apple probably wouldn't call and not on Saturday. If your phoney phone calls are coming on a cell phone then in the Play Store on your phone download Mr. Number. It blocks a very high percentage of phone calls you don't want. If it is on a house phone I can't help you. Good Luck.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:15 PM

Whoever is really doing the calling from the "Apple Inc" (no it's not really Apple) is getting to be a problem for MANY people in our area. I would recommend that anyone receiving any call from an Apple Inc to just ignore it and delete the call from your "recent" calls. Don't bother listening to the voice mail either -- just delete the voicemail. Same for any call you receive that you don't know for certain is from a friend of yours or from a company which you expect to be receiving due to something you did or asked them to do. The DO NOT CALL lists that you can sign up for -- both Federal and State -- are both useless for these calls as they are spoofed and are using valid phone numbers and names. I would love for technology to know the difference between a spoofed call and a real call but for now, the software just can't tell the difference. If someone knows of software that does know the difference and that we can install on our phones, let us all know.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Is it not anything good. Apple probably wouldn't call and not on Saturday. If your phoney phone calls are coming on a cell phone then in the Play Store on your phone download Mr. Number. It blocks a very high percentage of phone calls you don't want. If it is on a house phone I can't help you. Good Luck.
Comcast has an option to block numbers but these numbers are all different. So it wouldn’t accomplish anything. I wonder how many people take the bait out of sheer frustration from the incessant calls.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,675 Times in 5,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
Yes, all day yesterday, and they have already started today! Totally annoying and they ALWAYS leave a voicemail. I, for one, would like to know what it is going to take to stop all this? The methods in place apparently have no effect.
It would be very easy to fix this, but the Government doesn't want to fix it. The Government agency that regulates phone servive providers should require them to include caller ID for all customers and to not allow their system to display a bogus number on the caller ID screen. This is a very simple fix. But, apparently, there are lobbyists for the phone providers who are preventing the Government from doing the right thing. So, phone providers are making a lot of money on telemarketers and you will continue to be inconvenienced. The same situation exists with all the junk mail in your mailbox which you are paying to have delivered.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:48 PM
Platinum member

I just called my sister in TV to alert her to these bogus phone calls. I was too late. She had just hung up from an Apple Inc call. She said the caller had an Indian accent and also knew her last name. Pretty sophisticated operation.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:33 PM
Platinum member

I've had 3 of the Apple calls. And they left a messsge. Disgusting. I'm on Do not call and Nomorobo, Wondering how they are circumventing all of that.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
No intention to demean Apple. However, that’s what my caller ID shows and the various phone number they use all belong to Apple. Yes I know they can spoof any number they want with caller ID. So please forgive my subject line but I believe it’s as accurate as it needs to be for this discussion.
Maybe put Apple Inc in quotes.

Your (or any) phone system does not know who the number belongs to. It just displays the number and the name that is supplied vey the caller. It is very easy to spoof numbers and names for incoming calls. There are legitimate reasons for that.

Anyway, after the first call, can't your phone block future calls or are they using a direct call from number each time.

We just let them go to VM, then put them on a block list. Understand your frustration but there is not anything in place today to effectively prevent spam calls.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 03-17-2018, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I've had 3 of the Apple calls. And they left a messsge. Disgusting. I'm on Do not call and Nomorobo, Wondering how they are circumventing all of that.
They circumvent that because they are crooks. They are lying about who they are, what they are, where are, do you think they care about laws? There intent is to get your credit card number and run up a bunch of charges before you find out that you've been scammed. The federal phone laws are the least of their worries.

I have Century Link for a home phone and my service has call block. Unfortunately it will only hold 12 numbers, so whenever I enter a new number I've got to drop an older one out. That got old fast, so I went to Walmart and bought a Panasonic Cordless phone with 2 slave units, it has answering machine, caller ID, but best of all it can block up to 250 numbers. So when one of these numbers call back, it doesn't even ring.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:56 PM
Gold member

Just block the numbers that originate the calls.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,563 Times in 509 Posts

Numerous times the last several days; caller ID shows "suspected spam" because of an app (ATT Call Protect) I installed on my iPhone.

It's from numerous numbers because every time I've gotten a call, I immediately block the number.

Tags
apple, calls, phone, received, knowledge

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.