Nursing home deaths are 50% or more of the total in many states.

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2020, 10:53 AM

I agree it is higher in nursing homes but I wonder how many of then have DNRs
Old 05-11-2020, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,923 Times in 2,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
We can see from the data that about 80% of all covid 19 deaths are people over 65. The following are calculations of your probability of dying IF infected by covid 19 by age group.

80 + 21.9%
70-79 8%
60-69 3.6%
50-59 1.3%
40-49 0.4%
30-39 0.2%
20-29 0.2%
10-19 0.2%
<10 0.1%

So the older you are, the more likely to die from this disease, especially if you have other problems like obesity, diabetes, lung or cardiac problems.

However, what is starting to come out in the data is that a huge percentage of covid 19 deaths is coming from nursing homes. Over 50% in many states. Some states are very slow in reporting these deaths for various reasons, including political ones.

Here is a table calculating percentages of nursing home deaths out of total covid 19 deaths. Look at column G for the percentages attributed to nursing homes out of the totals. Many states are over 50%, some as high as 75-80%

Nursing Home COVID Deaths By State - Google Sheets

So nursing homes, because of their age cohort and close living conditions, skew the numbers tremendously. So yes you are in danger the older and sicker you might be, but if you live in a single family home your chances are much better than if you are living in a nursing home.
The older you are The more likely you’re going to die Without viruses, nursing homes are higher risk anyway just from neglect.

Few years back was on news at my precious location that person was missing from nursing home. They found the poor sole between bed and wall. Been lying there for two days. Two day and 6 shifts and cleaning crews!

When I was aircraft mechanic I had to account for all my tools and hardware after each job. Something tells me there should been head count before shift changes? So, maybe not all are that bad, but who knows what goes on behind closed doors. I sure there are worse horror stories. But I found that one most horrifying.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:37 PM

Reality:. Less than 1,800 people have been hospitalized in the state of Florida. Our population is over 21,500,000.
Sumter county:. 14 deaths from this virus over the whole season and only 41 hospitalized.

Don't listen to the fear and drama. Logic and Faith can not be found where fear exists.
We live in a beautiful place. Keep living and wash your hands🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Old 05-11-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorizim View Post
So how did the virus enter the Nursing homes in the first place? Family? Careless Caregivers?
Because a North East State Governor allowed sick Corona Virus patients to be brought into and housed at senior nursing homes...
Old 05-11-2020, 02:53 PM

TWO BILLS, That's exactly it. They are still congregating in large numbers.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:55 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Caregiver jobs in a lot of our country’s nursing homes are very low paying. Turnover is high.

A long time ago, I was told by someone I know who was a nursing home administrator that when choosing a place, it is important to find out if the caregivers there are agency or direct employees of the facility. The answer you want to hear is that those who provide the day-to-day personal care are a part of the directly employed staff and that turnover is low.

If I were asking questions now, I would want to know if benefits are provided to employees at all levels, not just the top paid. That would be an excellent way to attract and keep good employees.

You might find that the therapy department is outsourced — PT, OT, Speech, etc. — and that can work just fine as long as the company used has a longstanding relationship with the facility and the same therapists are in the same place, long term.

I know a caregiver who really wanted to work in a nursing home. She was willing to drive past many of them in the city, about 15 extra miles, one-way, to get to a place where she was better paid and treated as a valuable part of the staff. Additionally and importantly, it is a place where the patient ratio is not insane, allowing her to do the job she wants to do — and to do it well. She is a kind soul who is allowed to blossom with the right employer.

Then there are the for-proft, non-profit worlds to navigate. Also, some nursing homes are strictly private-pay. Some are mostly Medicaid paid. There are also those where residents start as private pay, but do not get kicked out when the money runs out.

A continuum of care is where you can go to a private residence first, but as more care is needed, more care is available. Those tend to be the most expensive.

My point is that in all too many nursing homes, the frontline employees are too often underpaid and under appreciated. Attracting good employees and keeping them should be of top importance. At the cost that nursing homes charge — where does all that money go. (rhetorical question)

Medicare.gov has a section reporting on nursing homes, “Nursing Home Compare.” If you start looking at that, you might learn more than you ever wanted to know.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:34 AM

I don't know about NY, but If you Google Florida Covid19 Dashboard you can get real numbers even by county. Keep in mind we have a population of about 21,500,000 and these numbers are cumulative since January. 1800 deaths and 8000 hospitalized. THE NUMBERS ARE DOWN!! Let's go back to living.
Our hospitals are closing and our Docs and nurses are being furloughed.
Let's just pray or hope, whichever you like, that a health related desaster does not happen now.
Closed Thread

Tags
0.2%, deaths, covid, nursing, 21.9%

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.