Antique Lace Shawl Repair

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2013, 09:24 AM
Default Antique Lace Shawl Repair

I have a beautiful black antique Spanish lace shawl that belonged to my great great grandmother. It was given to her daughter, my great grandmother. She then gave it to her son, my grandfather, who then gave it to his daughter, my mother. This is all well documented in my grandfather's handwriting dated 1901.

It is absolutely beautiful, but needs some minor repair as it has several, maybe five or six, small rips in the lace. I would like to have it repaired and preserved in some way. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 03-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommieswamie View Post
I have a beautiful black antique Spanish lace shawl that belonged to my great great grandmother. It was given to her daughter, my great grandmother. She then gave it to her son, my grandfather, who then gave it to his daughter, my mother. This is all well documented in my grandfather's handwriting dated 1901.

It is absolutely beautiful, but needs some minor repair as it has several, maybe five or six, small rips in the lace. I would like to have it repaired and preserved in some way. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Can you tell if this was crocheted, knitted, or tatted? The tatting is an antique needle craft skill that is not done much anymore.
I would suggest the lady that has the Yarn Shop, and the sign out front says simply "Yarn" on 441 in Bailey Plaza. She has beautiful yarns from all over and she may be able to help you. Oh...I found the card...The Yarn Lady (although it doesn't say that outside), at 16810 Hwy 441. Summerfield. 352-693-2065.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Default Lace Shawl

It is not knitted or crocheted. I'm not sure that I know what tatting is. I think this is the very old fashioned art of making lace with fine thread and needles on some sort of cushion.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:23 AM
Default Pictures of the Shawl

It is really beautiful. Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_15971.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	545.6 KB
ID:	11471   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_15961.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	606.7 KB
ID:	11472   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_15991.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	559.2 KB
ID:	11478   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_15981.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	11479  
Old 03-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Default Observation

I was just looking at these pictures again and I wondered if anyone had noticed that in the lower left corner of the last picture (the one of the entire shawl), you can catch a glimpse of an envelope with a 3 cent stamp. That is the letter from my grandfather to my mother that documents the history of the shawl.

Don't we all wish that it still cost 3 cents to mail a letter!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.