oh no Mother Eagle dies

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default oh no Mother Eagle dies

If you have been following the mother eagle at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens it is reported that she was killed by Jet plane. Here is the article
Female Eagle Struck By Plane

FOR IMMEADIATE RELEASE FEMALE EAGLE STRUCK BY PLANE NORFOLK, VA (April 26, 2011) – This morning an adult bald eagle was struck and killed by an incoming airplane at Norfolk International Airport. It is believed that this bird was the female of the ne...sting pair from Norfolk Botanical Garden (NBG). The strike occurred sometime between 8:30 and 8:50 a.m. These eagles were well known through the Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagle Cam provided by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (VDGIF), Norfolk Botanical Garden, and WVEC, and have been at NBG since 2003. According to Stephen Living, VDGIF biologist, and Reese Lukei, a research associate with the Center for Conservation Biology (CCB), “We are fairly certain that this is the Norfolk Botanical Garden female eagle due to her physical characteristics, size and the fact that she has not been seen at the nest since the strike.” This year the pair of eagles has produced three chicks at that nest site. Biologists with the VDGIF, CCB, and the staff at NBG will continue to monitor the nest and are working to ensure the health of the eaglets.
See More
By: Eagles at Norfolk Botanical Garden
Old 04-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Gold member

I live in the Norfolk area and yes we are all saddened to hear of Mother Eagle's death. The eaglets were banded just last week. Papa Eagle sits in a tree as if he is waiting her return. So sad!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:04 PM

Both my husband and myself have been following the eagle family since they hatched.. we are both so sad that this happened.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:09 PM

Good news! Dad has returned to the nest with a fish for dinner, which was promptly gobbled up. Babies last fed around 8 am. Hopefully Dad will continue to provide meals for the babies for another 4 weeks so they can be ready to fly off on their own the end of May.

Good work, Dad. Mom would be proud.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

How very, very sad. I have so enjoyed watching this nest for the past two years. May she soar in heaven and know she was loved by many on this earth.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-26-2011, 06:14 PM

Thank goodness Dad is taking over. Nature at it's best. I hope he continues and can teach these babies to soar.

I'm the type of woman that when I get up in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up"!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default 2 threads

Looks like there are 2 threads on this now. See also other thread.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Gold member
Default oh no mother eagle dies

Local news WVEC reports that the Eaglets were removed from nest and transported out to Wayneboro, VA to a wildlife reserve for care until they are ready to be released into the wild. The chances for all three eaglets survival would be greater at the reserve.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Sage

Barefoot has posted on the eagle's nest for two years in Girls Talk. We were discussing the sad news this morning. Such a tragedy. Take a look at that thread. It rocks.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.