The Original Green Pan; BEWARE

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2014, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default The Original Green Pan; BEWARE

I have seen so many commercials for these new ceramic coated non-stick pans that I just had to get one. I looked around and found a 12" skillet with a lid made by a company called "The Original Green Pan". It is their "Rio" series.

When I first used the pan, I was thrilled. I'd never seen a non-stick pan perform like this. Scramble eggs just slid off. There was zero residue left in the pan.

After a few months however, this changed rapidly. Now, the pan is totally useless. My wife just made eggs this morning and I had to spend fifteen minutes scraping them out of the pan so I can use it.

I have followed all of the directions carefully except that they don't recommend that you use olive oil. I always cook with either olive or coconut oil as they are healthy fats.

I e-mailed the company and got a response almost immediately. I was asked about ten questions regarding how I used the pan. I got a return e-mail a few days later saying that they had all of the paperwork ready for my claim. I assumed that I'd be getting a new pan or a credit. The next day I received this e-mail.
Quote:
Your GreenPan Warranty is only applicable for non-stick coating under normal use in accordance with our Care & Use Instruction Manual of GreenPan and defects in material or workmanship of the product.

This Warranty does not apply: (a) damages caused by deterioration due to overheating, improper cleaning; (b) to damages caused by accident, abuse, misuse, use of extra virgin olive oil; oil sprays; (c) to damages caused by scratches, chipping, dents, on the interior or exterior of the pan; (d) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the GreenPan Product.

Thank you!
Customer Service
I assume that this means that they won't stand behind their product. I admit, I used olive oil but I wasn't aware that you shouldn't use olive oil until after I bough the pan.

Just be advised before you by something from this company that these pans have to be treated very delicately which is quite the opposite of what their commercials imply.

Buyer beware.

I'm going back to Calphalon.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Sage

That's too bad, Dr. I have another brand pan with a similar type of non stick surface and have found that over time I have had to use Pam or coconut oil spray. After use, I immediately wipe clean and then set the pan aside to be washed. Have not yet had any sticky brown buildup on the pan from the sprays and it works like a charm.

Re seasoning is a pain and after having mine for quite a long time, the spray works well and so does the pan. Bought my set at either QVC or HSN, can't remember, but will definitely NOT get a Green Pan
Old 08-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
That's too bad, Dr. I have another brand pan with a similar type of non stick surface and have found that over time I have had to use Pam or coconut oil spray. After use, I immediately wipe clean and then set the pan aside to be washed. Have not yet had any sticky brown buildup on the pan from the sprays and it works like a charm.

Re seasoning is a pain and after having mine for quite a long time, the spray works well and so does the pan. Bought my set at either QVC or HSN, can't remember, but will definitely NOT get a Green Pan

You have to be careful, because there are a few different manufacturers that use "Green Pan" in their name. This one is "The Original Green Pan" The surface of the Rio series is actually white and I think that some of the other series are gray.

There's another one that I believe calls itself the "Organic Green Pan". I have had no experience with that one.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:17 AM
Sage

Can't recall offhand what "name" is associated with my set...four frypans and a saucepan, but I do like them. They were not really inexpensive and have worked well....but they do need oil or spray.

Even Teflon pans loose their unstick. Have a couple of sauté pans with Teflon and they get sprayed, too.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

I have one of these, and found out that you never put them in the dish washer. I did, and thought I had ruined the pan, had to go through the "beak in" again to get it working. I have used butter, margarine, and oil (what ever my wife had in the cupboard), and had very few problems. Seems to work about the same as Teflon pan it replaced.
Just my thoughts.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Eternal Member

I have two "green" pans but I do not remember where I got them from. I am happy with them and use them often. I do not like the heat that they emit. I had a hard time controlling the heat with the meat that I put in it when I first started using them. I find that I have to watch them more closely than my usual pans.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:48 PM

My husband has ruined an eight-inch one of these by using Pam, too high heat on the grill burner, and the dishwasher. It now has stuck-on burnt Pam. It was $50 and is now his personal pan. He loves it; doesn't realize it' shot.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
You have to be careful, because there are a few different manufacturers that use "Green Pan" in their name. This one is "The Original Green Pan" The surface of the Rio series is actually white and I think that some of the other series are gray.

There's another one that I believe calls itself the "Organic Green Pan". I have had no experience with that one.
It's called "orgreenic" and works just fine!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.