Orlando water announcement

Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2021, 06:43 AM
Default Oxygen / Ozone Water Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
The city of Orlando is asking residents to reduce water consumption IMMEDIATELY. Liquid oxygen used to treat water is being diverted to the hospitals to treat COVID patients. They believe if water consumption doesn’t change, water treatment could hit a critical point in a week.

Boil water notice coming soon!

So for those who don't understand secondary and tertiary effects of virus prevention, maybe you might want to reconsider
Ozone is produced when oxygen (O2) molecules are dissociated by an energy source into oxygen atoms and subsequently collide with an oxygen molecule to form an unstable gas, ozone (O3), which is used to disinfect wastewater. Most wastewater treatment plants generate ozone by imposing a high voltage alternating current (6 to 20 kilovolts) across a dielectric discharge gap that contains an oxygen-bearing gas. Ozone is generated onsite because it is unstable and decomposes to elemental oxygen in a short amount of time after generation.
Ozone is a very strong oxidant and virucide.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
I'm trying to understand the scope of this problem.

So ... across Florida, or across the USA for that matter, does every water treatment plant use liquid oxygen to treat water? Are there some (or many) water treatment plants that use a system which does not use liquid oxygen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post
Is Orlando the watershed for The Villages? In other words, does this mean us?
Not all water treatment systems use oxygen and ozone; one article I saw estimated that one out of every 500 municipal water treatment plants used ozone.

According to the presentation in a recent Resident's Academy that I attended along with information on the districtgov.org page and my water bill, it appears that we are not at all connected to Orlando water. Pumping water 60 miles doesn't make sense if you can dig a well and according to the presentations, we have wells. Districtgov.org lists three different utility companies serving different areas of the Villages - my water bill lists one of the three. There would be no need for wells or separate utility companies if our water came from Orlando.

The presentation at the Academy did not go into the level of detail to know whether oxygen was used. They specifically mentioned chlorine though and since far more systems use chlorine than use oxygen I assume our utilities do not use oxygen. However, that's just an assumption and it should be relatively easy to call the local utilities to get a real answer. Also, the Villages seems to do a good job with communications, particularly through the District Weekly Bulletin. I have to believe that if this was an issue on our horizon there would have been some mention of it by now.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-22-2021, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

My doctor told me there was an oxygen shortage in central Florida when I saw him more than a week ago. He blamed it on several hospitals which were not accepting new patients and were giving arriving COVID patients a tank of O2 and a mask and sending them home.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:58 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,088 Times in 297 Posts

Wow that's scary!

Hey, I just had an idea! If the ozonator is not working, how about adding chlorine, like all those thousands of water treatment plants in America that don't use ozonators?

Heck, it worked on my pool back home, when that stupid ozonator the pool company sold me conked out after a couple of years!

Or, here's another idea... we could just ignore the fake news that the Covid situation is so dire that a few dozen people on oxygen are capable of are sucking up all the oxygen used to treat the water supply for a million people!
Old 08-22-2021, 07:18 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Glad to have well water and Nova filters.
Old 08-22-2021, 07:40 AM
Default Water treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
I'm trying to understand the scope of this problem.

So ... across Florida, or across the USA for that matter, does every water treatment plant use liquid oxygen to treat water? Are there some (or many) water treatment plants that use a system which does not use liquid oxygen?
Although I do not know anything about treating water with liquid oxygen, for many years I managed a chemical plant. One third of our revenue came from supplying the chemical used for water treatment. This was liquid chlorine - not liquid oxygen. Our chlorine was delivered in a large oblong cylinder called a "ton cylinder." It's tare weight when empty was a ton. Filled, the cylinder weighed 3600 pounds. That's a lot of LC. I don't remember my plant ever delivering much liquid oxygen - but what we delivered went to hospitals and fabrication shops - and they weren't treating water with it.
Old 08-22-2021, 07:43 AM
Default Orlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
What was the status of the liquid oxygen at the peak of the pandemic hospitalizations during 2020??

I do not recall even hearing about it last year.
I was in Orlando yesterday. I noticed when driving by the lakes, all of the fountains were in operation. Doesn't this help to evaporate water? It sure didn't appear anyone was concerned with saving water.
Old 08-22-2021, 07:59 AM

Did they check if Kennedy Space Center has any extra LOX? They use it all the time for launches.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:06 AM

I love it! The fear mongers have no limit to how low that they will go to to try to scare seniors! Hope it makes you sleep better at night!!!
Old 08-22-2021, 09:12 AM
Veteran member

Gotta feel for those who choose to live in such a high state of panic over whatever might be happening in this world. What a horrible way to live one's life.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltdisney4life View Post
I love it! The fear mongers have no limit to how low that they will go to to try to scare seniors! Hope it makes you sleep better at night!!!

Even if this was/is a current issue now happening, really, how big of a request is it to back off watering the lawns a bit? Come on, its just grass and if it has to look like crap this season, oh well...its all for the good of the people.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Wow that's scary!

Hey, I just had an idea! If the ozonator is not working, how about adding chlorine, like all those thousands of water treatment plants in America that don't use ozonators?

Heck, it worked on my pool back home, when that stupid ozonator the pool company sold me conked out after a couple of years!

Or, here's another idea... we could just ignore the fake news that the Covid situation is so dire that a few dozen people on oxygen are capable of are sucking up all the oxygen used to treat the water supply for a million people!
I would ask you to please provide the "real" news of how many people are sucking up oxygen but I know how that would turn out.

There are more than 1,400 dozen people hospitalized in Florida for Covid. When I leave "a few" bucks on a tip at a restaurant or when I ask a friend for "a few" dollars or when I drive "a few" miles to the grocery store, "a few" NEVER means 1,400! Your definition of "a few" must make you very popular with your servers!

The issue with oxygen in central Florida may have as much to do with transport as one poster pointed out as it has to do with overall demand. However, there is no question that hospital demand is up.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-22-2021, 12:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
How did the population of the USA go from 100,000,000 to over 300,000,000 with this issue?

Why have we not heard of this "issue" before in drought stricken areas of the country.

As was said in an earlier post...."what is the scope of the problem"?

Another part of the story news report....the bar is not very high anymore for what gets passed on to the general public....and the general public believes most of it!
Generally, CV patients need MORE oxygen than average patients. Florida hospitals are full in Orlando (as they are locally). So, hospitals are running out of oxygen. Basically, this is just ANOTHER example of the fact that modern history will be divided into pre CV and post CV. CV has affected all of society in the US and the world in some way or another.

As to the question about the growth of the US population from 100 million to 350 million - there has never been any popular US leader warning AGAINST population increase - immigration was always considered good for GNP and was supposed to have zero downside. Yet, biologists know that each animal species has a HOLDING CAPACITY based on their NEED for natural resources like food and etc.

I would just guess that outside of Florida there may be more and deeper wells to get fresh water from. I know as a fact that the US is one of the top 5 countries with navigable rivers. Florida's aquifer is prone to saltwater intrusion as the oceans rise - that could be a problem in the future. Overall, it was a good question - I hope to hear answers from forum experts!
Old 08-22-2021, 12:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimf2018 View Post
Ozone is produced when oxygen (O2) molecules are dissociated by an energy source into oxygen atoms and subsequently collide with an oxygen molecule to form an unstable gas, ozone (O3), which is used to disinfect wastewater. Most wastewater treatment plants generate ozone by imposing a high voltage alternating current (6 to 20 kilovolts) across a dielectric discharge gap that contains an oxygen-bearing gas. Ozone is generated onsite because it is unstable and decomposes to elemental oxygen in a short amount of time after generation.
Ozone is a very strong oxidant and virucide.
I agree with the content of this thoughtful post!
Old 08-22-2021, 01:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Wow that's scary!

I believe that the Orlando government leaders did NOT say that the situation was dire and that the sky was falling. They merely SUGGESTED that the citizens of Orlando might be willing to allow their precious grass yards to suffer just a TINY bit in order that real humans in and out of hospitals might have life-saving oxygen.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, orlando, treat, consumption, week

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.