Orlando water announcement

Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2021, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasandvalr View Post
I was in Orlando yesterday. I noticed when driving by the lakes, all of the fountains were in operation. Doesn't this help to evaporate water? It sure didn't appear anyone was concerned with saving water.
I assume that the water in the lakes was not from water treatment plants. The lake water likely came from rain, which we have plenty of right now. The water to water lawns in Orlando must, mostly, be treated water - the same as they drink - palatable water. Again, I am assuming, maybe someone knows otherwise?
Old 08-22-2021, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalumbos62 View Post
Even if this was/is a current issue now happening, really, how big of a request is it to back off watering the lawns a bit? Come on, its just grass and if it has to look like crap this season, oh well...its all for the good of the people.
I agree with the contents of this post.
Old 08-22-2021, 02:42 PM

molecular disassociation... yawn!!
Old 08-22-2021, 03:20 PM

As a former town supervisor in upstate NY, I had a problem with the guy running the water system and got heavily involved with the day to day operations. This included getting class B and D water licenses. Ozone is rarely used in municipal systems as chlorine based chemistry lasts much longer in the water. As mentioned in an earlier post, larger water systems usually use chlorine (Cl2) injection since they have the resources to use this material safely. Smaller systems usually opt for sodium hypochlorite which is much easier and safer to store and use. (Though there are still some safety precautions that need to be followed. Basically, it is a concentrated form of the common bleach we all use.)

My guess is that Orlando is using the oxygen in waste water treatment. While reducing water usage in the home would reduce oxygen required for wastewater, irrigation would have no effect. However, most cities use water consumption as an indicator of your water waste generation. (I realize that is not the case here in The Villages.)

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 08-22-2021, 03:36 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,051 Times in 289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I would ask you to please provide the "real" news of how many people are sucking up oxygen but I know how that would turn out.

There are more than 1,400 dozen people hospitalized in Florida for Covid. When I leave "a few" bucks on a tip at a restaurant or when I ask a friend for "a few" dollars or when I drive "a few" miles to the grocery store, "a few" NEVER means 1,400! Your definition of "a few" must make you very popular with your servers!

The issue with oxygen in central Florida may have as much to do with transport as one poster pointed out as it has to do with overall demand. However, there is no question that hospital demand is up.
I believe we were talking about Orlando. not the entire state of Florida, but I'm sorry if you were offended that my use of "a "few dozen" minimized the actual number of Orlando Covid hospitalizations -- 454, as near as I can tell (ask google yourself -- the actual number is oddly difficult to locate). But you're right. 454 is actually 38 dozen.

However -- my point still stands. Even if all 454 patients are on oxygen (highly unlikely), common sense is still strained to the limit at the notion that their oxygen supply somehow threatens the water supply of a million people!

We live in a world where everyone in charge is lying to us, all the time. Our only defense in such a world is common sense. I just think if we all applied a little common sense, the liars would have a much harder time selling us their lies.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,307 Times in 2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtennent View Post
As a former town supervisor in upstate NY, I had a problem with the guy running the water system and got heavily involved with the day to day operations. This included getting class B and D water licenses. Ozone is rarely used in municipal systems as chlorine based chemistry lasts much longer in the water. As mentioned in an earlier post, larger water systems usually use chlorine (Cl2) injection since they have the resources to use this material safely. Smaller systems usually opt for sodium hypochlorite which is much easier and safer to store and use. (Though there are still some safety precautions that need to be followed. Basically, it is a concentrated form of the common bleach we all use.)

My guess is that Orlando is using the oxygen in waste water treatment. While reducing water usage in the home would reduce oxygen required for wastewater, irrigation would have no effect. However, most cities use water consumption as an indicator of your water waste generation. (I realize that is not the case here in The Villages.)
From the OUC page:

OUC uses an advanced ozone treatment process to produce its great-tasting tap water - proudly called H2OUC

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-22-2021, 03:49 PM
Default Liquid Oxygen Production

This is a little hard for me to take serious.
I worked in the Air Separation Field for 57 years producing liquid Oxygen, Nitrogen & Argon.
We were continously looking for customers to sell our cryogenic products too. Once a regions consumption showes signs of exceeding local production we build additional capacity.
Old 08-22-2021, 04:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,307 Times in 2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
I believe we were talking about Orlando. not the entire state of Florida, but I'm sorry if you were offended that my use of "a "few dozen" minimized the actual number of Orlando Covid hospitalizations -- 454, as near as I can tell (ask google yourself -- the actual number is oddly difficult to locate). But you're right. 454 is actually 38 dozen.

However -- my point still stands. Even if all 454 patients are on oxygen (highly unlikely), common sense is still strained to the limit at the notion that their oxygen supply somehow threatens the water supply of a million people!

We live in a world where everyone in charge is lying to us, all the time. Our only defense in such a world is common sense. I just think if we all applied a little common sense, the liars would have a much harder time selling us their lies.
According to WESH News, at the end of July AdventHealth was talking about 1,350 patients and Orlando Health had 573. That's 160 dozen at the end of July.

According to the CDC data, Florida had about 9,000 hospitalized on August 1 and about 16,000 today, a 78% increase. *If* Orlando experienced the same increase then they have 285 dozen patients sucking down oxygen today.

I don't know what effect 454 patients might have but I can believe that nearly 3,400 Covid patients along with any non-Covid patients they still have room for could have a significant effect. Add to that increased water use during hot months and perhaps a transportation problem and it is not at all difficult to believe there could be trouble on the horizon.

I don't believe everyone in charge is lying to us. I believe there are communication struggles, bias in those hearing the messages, confusion about what the messages actually mean, and often a knee-jerk response to disbelieve anything that doesn't fit our preferred narrative. Sometimes there are mistakes made and incorrect information is given out and yes, occasionally there is an attempt to deceive.

Perhaps the mayor of Orlando is overreacting, we've certainly seen a lot of that in the past 20 months, but I don't believe she is outright lying.

To me, common sense is to wonder about statements that don't seem correct and then try to find the data to support or refute them, not to immediately assume everyone in charge is lying to us.

I was too quick to assume you were aware of the 16,000 number for the state. I didn't realized you were only considering Orlando and I didn't realize you had no idea how many patients there were.

Are all 3,400 Covid patients on oxygen? I have no way of knowing but common sense tells me that if hospitals are at capacity then they are likely sending home all but the most serious patients which would be the ones who need oxygen. Even if not all 3,400 are on oxygen a large percentage would be and the effect on oxygen supply would be the same.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Closed Thread

Tags
water, orlando, treat, consumption, week

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.