Other Retirement Options with Inexpensive Golf

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Wayne

Did you miss my post on Ocala...it is in Florida and slightly more north of the Villages. It may not be for you but it is a town. SSmith
Old 02-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Default Ocala

SSmith - sorry - I did see it, but I don't know any prices there and haven't had much luck finding cheap places to play there. If you know of any, that would be great...
Old 02-18-2011, 01:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

A neighborhood group of five women went to Dell Webb Spruce Creek yesterday for a golf lesson. It is very pretty and has one golf course with 36 holes. They were having a "shotgun start" when we were there. I don't know how much golf membership is.

It is just down 441/27 from The Villages in an area called Summerfield.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:19 PM

graciegirl,

Thanks, but i just called their pro shop and golf there is a little over $5000 per year for the 2 of us if we use our own cart.

I know there are hundreds of golf courses in Florida i could call and get the cost of - I was hoping somebody knew of some that they had already looked into that were inexpensive.

If anybody knows or strongly suspects that a Florida course costs less than $3000 for 2 people to play 2 times a week with my cart or theirs, I'm all ears...
Old 02-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Wayne TN

The pitch here is your buying a lifestyle. Analyze that claim carefully. Lifestyle means different things to different people. I need to disclose that I am not enamored with this concept. I do play golf but the claim of free golf for the rest of your life is misleading. There are annual trail fees ($150)for executive courses and you will need to pay $8.00 per month to gain access to the tee time system in order to schedule a tee time. If you want to play championship courses you will pay anywhere from$18.00 to $57.00 per round depending on what time of year and if you buy priority which is roughly $800 annually to gain priority tee times to play championship courses. In addition, there is a point system for tee times. so you could get bumped from a tee time if you have too many points or want to play prime times. TV is growing and so the golf courses are getting crowded. I know several residents who prefer to go off campus to play because the fees are cheaper and some offer breakfast and lunch included in the fees. And I might add these are nice courses not cow pastures. finally you have the cost of a golf cart and its maintenance. You will be paying premium for a home despite what you might have heard. Nevertheless I am sure there are some bargains to be had given the housing market but keep in mind it hasn't hit TV like it has in other parts of the state.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:00 PM

Rubicon,
Thanks for your input. Granted, unless you just want to use a pull cart and not make reservations, it may not be perfectly "free". But I don't care about playing the championship courses (although i did play a few in TV last summer for $6 after 6 pm - unbelievable!), the Executive courses are great. I've spent a month there 2 times and absolutely LOVE the place. I'm just trying to see if there are any real options as i do like to do many things (pickleball, tennis, pool, table tennis, swim, etc, etc, etc) and i don't want to spend over $2000 or so a year on golf. I'm trying to see if there are really any other places besides TV to look at and still be able to play golf on my self-imposed budget. I'm beginning to think there aren't....
Old 02-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne_TN View Post
Rubicon,
Thanks for your input. Granted, unless you just want to use a pull cart and not make reservations, it may not be perfectly "free". But I don't care about playing the championship courses (although i did play a few in TV last summer for $6 after 6 pm - unbelievable!), the Executive courses are great. I've spent a month there 2 times and absolutely LOVE the place. I'm just trying to see if there are any real options as i do like to do many things (pickleball, tennis, pool, table tennis, swim, etc, etc, etc) and i don't want to spend over $2000 or so a year on golf. I'm trying to see if there are really any other places besides TV to look at and still be able to play golf on my self-imposed budget. I'm beginning to think there aren't....
Let me get this straight - YOU love TV. YOU love to play almost free executive golf. YOU love pickleball and tennis and swimming. So the stumbling block isn't the 2K golf it's the other half's reluctance towards TV. I would think that finding what she would like to do in TV is a lot easier than finding all those other activities for you somewhere else.

Just my 2 C.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:05 AM

I live in Stonecrest. We had a house built 2 years ago. We still ride over the bridge into the Villages for entertainment. We felt we were offered more house for the money here. I really love the two gates into Walmart from our community. Very easy access. Love the community. Have lots to do. Hubby does not golf so we didnt worry about that aspect. Amenity fees are 104 a month. No bond fee. Check out Lyle Gant realtor. He lives here too. In a year prices could change drastically. Good luck on your journey.

Happy in Stonecrest!
Old 03-12-2011, 05:41 AM
Sage
Default WELL...............with all respect to STONECREST and other lovely places.

Hmmm.

I do get lotsa art lessons, Mahjong, Bridge, Bingo, Bunko, Bocce and board games.

Could do Yoga, Aerobics, Ballet, Tap, Interpretive dancing, belly dancing, hula, Tai chi (sp?) Five mile runs, swimming laps, water aerobics, ride a bicycle for over a hundred miles and never leave the campus, cheerleading, flag corp and messing around with football players. (just threw that in to see if you were paying attention)

Could drink a lot and watch people sing, dance, toot, drum, march, act and talk.

Could swim at a different pool every day for more than a month.

Could sit quietly and look at the most perfectly decorated rec centers for weeks, a different one every day....and just admire the theme of each and the object d'art and the people coming in and out doing so many activities.

Could eat at a different restaurant every day for months.

Could shop at a different store every day for months.

Could join churchs or faith communities representing all major faiths here. Even have different flavors of Lutheran and Methodists. (But of course they are not limited to our Villages. EVERYONE can. They are all so close to The Villages which is so nice)

Could volunteer at the school, the hospital, the rec centers.

Could volunteer to help people with their taxes. (NOT)

Could join or even chair numerous fund raising activities.

Could join a thousand clubs....ummmmm, except the Michigan one. (Go Bucks)

I DO play a LOT more golf than I have in years. AND I can play it at 32 executive courses (You tell me that Pelican is a baby course and I will hit you) and from NINE championship courses.

I do meet people from all over the country, heck, all over the world and hear their life stories. Most of them are telling the truth, but all of them are entertaining. They even listen to mine. First liar has the best chance.

$104 vs. $135

Priceless.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-12-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:59 AM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove

Regarding golf - What impressed me about the Villages is that while I'm getting my game back up to speed (I haven't played much in the last three years) I can play the Executive courses and then 'graduate' back to the Championship courses. And I won't feel that I HAVE to play because I've paid an up-front fee. Currently I belong to a club. I had all the intentions of playing last year, but too many things happened to keep me away. I played once - an expensive round for my $5000 membership fee.

But, I think the Villages is not just about the golf. Even the most avid golfer will benefit from the extensive list of activities that are available when not playing golf.

And, not to bring up an unpleasant subject, I think it is good to consider, as you age and become less active, what a retirement community can offer you to adjust to a new lifestyle.

For me - The Villages has it all!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If I didn't know that what you say is true , I would think you were a paid spokesperson for the "Developer". We're still snowbirds but your posting has pushed us to move the date up as quickly as we can'
Old 03-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
If I didn't know that what you say is true , I would think you were a paid spokesperson for the "Developer". We're still snowbirds but your posting has pushed us to move the date up as quickly as we can'
People have said that before, that I was paid by the developer, and I admit that I am just crazy about this place which is in Florida which I really don't like and away from my grandchildren which isn't good at all..except most of the time I forget to think about that.

No. I don't work for the Morses, but I do admire what they have accomplished and wish they hadn't poached or not allowed the Relay for Life to be here. I have to admire...their genius, or business acumen for making this place so very perfect.

I am an aging woman who loves all kinds of people and find this cruise ship on land just right for me.

P.S. I forgot to mention the two bowling allies, alleys? And nine Publix, two super Walmart, Sams, Lowes, Home Depot.........or never mind.

I have to go pick up my check.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Sage

There are plenty of places in South Florida that fit your needs. Oh, just a couple of suggestions though. Learn Spanish and complete your training for your concealed weapon permit. Spent 58 years there and am never going back.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
......I have to go pick up my check.
Have the Morse's got you on retainer or do you just get paid by the hour (or by the post)??!! Hee-hee! You always have such a positive outlook on things, gracie.....

Bill
Old 03-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have to go pick up my check.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.