Other Retirement Options with Inexpensive Golf

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Veteran member

You may want to check out Spruce Creek south, just near The Villages. They have a webpage at: http://linksatsprucecreek.com/golf/p...atsprucecreek/

We have friends there - quite a few clubs and things to do, although nowhere near the scale of The Villages, a decent golf course. I suspect their golf rates are cheaper than TV, you can call and check on their membership rates. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Default One more thing

You've discussed the golfing and other options available at TV but no one in this thread has brought up the most important ammenity to the both of us....lots of friendly people. People who want to be friends, have similar interests and just plain enjoy living. That's why we're coming to TV. See ya in June.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Gold member
Default membership at public courses?

I live in TV because I think the amenities are far superior to anywhere else, just like most of the rest of the non-wannabe's on this site, but back to the original poster's question - where can he play golf cheaper than $5,000/yr.

I don't know about Florida public courses, and probably they are a lot more expensive in the winter, but around Columbus, OH there are many public and private courses (for some reason, Columbus has an overabundance), and all of the public ones, as far as I know, offer yearly all you can play senior passes, although they might be limited to Monday thru Friday, before 1 pm or 3 pm restriction. Last year, they were about $700-900, I think.

Also, have you considered trying to be a ranger (Ambassador) or starter? Many people who do that work one or two shifts a week and get free golf in return. My brother-in-law does that at a country club in Ft. Myers, although he's limited in when he can play, but can also take guests.

I went on a girls' golf trip to Myrtle Beach last fall (before I moved to TV), and everywhere we played met "retired" starters who were doing it for the free golf.

I myself was a ranger/starter last August/Sept. at a public course in Columbus - still have vouchers to use this summer for 8 nine-hole rounds, including cart. Hoping to do it again this summer when we are back there.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

My parents retired in 1984 in a community called "Timber Pines", which started in 1983 by U.S. Homes. It's located on Hwy 19 in Spring Hill, Fl, that's about an hour north of St. Petersburg. If you've heard of the place with the mermaid shows called Weeki Wachee Springs, that's 5 miles north of the entrance. It's a completely walled community with staffed gates. Visitors must get a gate pass from a resident or they don't enter, it's very secure but yet very inexpensive.

It's much smaller than The Villages, I believe 1200 acres, about 2000 homes and 2 golf courses. I stayed there for about six months in 1989 and it was pretty nice, you could drive your cart on the streets and golf was free with your HOA fee.

I believe it had built out about ten years ago and only resales are available. I was considering retiring there until 2003 when I received my first Villages' DVD in the mail. If your on a tight budget, you get more home for the buck. All the homes are constructed with masonary and you can find villas in the low 100's, but actually single family homes are 90% of the community. I've checked Hernando County realtor's sites recently and have found many nice 2 BR 2 BA 2 Car homes in the $130K to $160K range in Timber Pines.

When I was growing up in St. Petersburg in the 1960's and 70's, U.S. Homes was one of the largest developers in Florida. Since Timber Pines was finished I don't see them anymore, they maybe fell on hard times. They used to have a 7 story corporate headquarters off Hwy 19 around Palm Harbor.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
People have said that before, that I was paid by the developer, and I admit that I am just crazy about this place which is in Florida which I really don't like and away from my grandchildren which isn't good at all..except most of the time I forget to think about that.

No. I don't work for the Morses, but I do admire what they have accomplished and wish they hadn't poached or not allowed the Relay for Life to be here. I have to admire...their genius, or business acumen for making this place so very perfect.

I am an aging woman who loves all kinds of people and find this cruise ship on land just right for me.

P.S. I forgot to mention the two bowling allies, alleys? And nine Publix, two super Walmart, Sams, Lowes, Home Depot.........or never mind.

I have to go pick up my check.

You pays your money and takes your choice - different strokes for different folks.

Just because you chose TV doesn't mean folks who choose Stonecrest or Spruce Creek or Del Webb or Water Oak or Oakland Hills or a house out on a sandy road in Pedro (and there are some fantastic homes in Pedro)made a big mistake. They made their choice - maybe next time they need to consult with you first.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
They made their choice - maybe next time they need to consult with you first..
A little harsh don't you think Chuck?

Gracie said "(she) find(s) this cruise ship on land just right for me". She never said they made a big mistake. Not sure why you said that.

Now back to the point:

Wayne - Why do you think a smaller retirement community would work? Seems like your wife wants a more 'normal' town (all ages) in a warmer climate. I don't think TV's size has much to do with her thinking from your question. Personally TV seems like a big town with multiple small towns within (the actual village you live in). My 2 Cents.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
A little harsh don't you think Chuck?

Gracie said "(she) find(s) this cruise ship on land just right for me". She never said they made a big mistake. Not sure why you said that.

Now back to the point:

Wayne - Why do you think a smaller retirement community would work? Seems like your wife wants a more 'normal' town (all ages) in a warmer climate. I don't think TV's size has much to do with her thinking from your question. Personally TV seems like a big town with multiple small towns within (the actual village you live in). My 2 Cents.
That's exactly the way I look at it, Russ. The overall size is of no matter to me. I live in The Villages on a nice tidy street in a nice tidy neighborhood with pleasant and friendly people. Most everything I need is close by and reachable by golf cart. Even the weather is favorable. The best of all worlds.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Gold member
Default TV not just a country club

Actually, the large size of TV appeals to me. The smaller ones, with one or two clubhouses and one golf course, remind me of a country club with houses - think that unless you were one of the original residents, might be hard to break into the cliques, etc., plus you would have to make more of an effort to go out to dinner at someplace other than "the Club."

I really like the fact that if you don't like an activity at one rec center, either because of the time it's offered, the particular leader, or whatever, you can usually find another somewhere else. Plus, you are ALWAYS meeting new people here, playing golf, pickleball, cards, the pool, a club for something (and they have them for EVERYTHING) or at Happy Hour somewhere or on the square, plus all the people in your neighborhood.

I have met people who said their neighborhood wasn't very social or friendly - these are usually people who had already moved to a different neighborhood for various reasons, but that could be retrospect rationalization or maybe they gave up too soon without a lot of effort, or maybe they were right, and that particular neighborhood was full of stay-at-homes or people who already had lots of friends and too much on their calendars (happens very easily here).

Sometimes the new person needs to be the one to have the driveway party if no one else does. I do think it's easier to make friends in new or newer neighborhoods, but that's also true outside of retirement communities.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:51 AM
Default We're in...

hadn't checked back onto this thread in a few months - My wife decided she liked the Villages after all. We put down a deposit in March and are planning on moving down next Summer (2012).

Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne_TN View Post
hadn't checked back onto this thread in a few months - My wife decided she liked the Villages after all. We put down a deposit in March and are planning on moving down next Summer (2012).

Thanks for all the help.
Great news Wayne - you won't regret it.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Sage

Congrats... the best is yet to come!

Last edited by champion6; 07-07-2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: can't type
Old 07-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Hmmm.

I do get lotsa art lessons, Mahjong, Bridge, Bingo, Bunko, Bocce and board games.

Could do Yoga, Aerobics, Ballet, Tap, Interpretive dancing, belly dancing, hula, Tai chi (sp?) Five mile runs, swimming laps, water aerobics, ride a bicycle for over a hundred miles and never leave the campus, cheerleading, flag corp and messing around with football players. (just threw that in to see if you were paying attention)

Could drink a lot and watch people sing, dance, toot, drum, march, act and talk.

Could swim at a different pool every day for more than a month.

Could sit quietly and look at the most perfectly decorated rec centers for weeks, a different one every day....and just admire the theme of each and the object d'art and the people coming in and out doing so many activities.

Could eat at a different restaurant every day for months.

Could shop at a different store every day for months.

Could join churchs or faith communities representing all major faiths here. Even have different flavors of Lutheran and Methodists. (But of course they are not limited to our Villages. EVERYONE can. They are all so close to The Villages which is so nice)

Could volunteer at the school, the hospital, the rec centers.

Could volunteer to help people with their taxes. (NOT)

Could join or even chair numerous fund raising activities.

Could join a thousand clubs....ummmmm, except the Michigan one. (Go Bucks)

I DO play a LOT more golf than I have in years. AND I can play it at 32 executive courses (You tell me that Pelican is a baby course and I will hit you) and from NINE championship courses.

I do meet people from all over the country, heck, all over the world and hear their life stories. Most of them are telling the truth, but all of them are entertaining. They even listen to mine. First liar has the best chance.

$104 vs. $135

Priceless.
Gracie:

I just saw this post. It's a lulu. Loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne_TN View Post

Thanks for all the help.
Congrats. I think you made the right choice.

Best Wishes for future happiness.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.