2 Questions Please

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Default 2 Questions Please

My Lovely wife and I are back for our 3rd visit here and have truly decided this is the place! So during this week we have been looking at a lot of houses. So here are my 2 questions

1. We have been told by 2 different couples we should buy a new house. And the reason is what shocked me. Both couples said it was easier to make friends in a new area other than one that already has been established because you might not "fit in" with the already established group? What "fit in" I have never felt like I didn't "fit in" here could this be true?

2. We are avid wine drinkers/lovers. We have a cellar at home with over 1,000 bottles at a cool 55 degrees. We have yet to see a home with a wine cellar. Does anyone here have one and where did you add it on?

We still have until Saturday this trip, will be back Labor Day week for more looking and house shopping. Thanks to the group as always for your honest and helpful opinions.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Sage

Mike - The point about buying new is valid to a degree: Everyone will be new to the neighborhood so they're all in the mood to meet new people. We bought a resale last fall and, as snowflakes, have stayed there for a week or two several times since. We've gotten to know our immediate neighbors and have met a number of other folks in the area. Everyone is welcoming and friendly. But some of this has been of our own doing - we've seen some people outside in their yards, etc. and have taken it upon ourselves to stop and introduce ourselves. We always wave/say 'Hi' to anybody who goes past our place when we're outside. For those who aren't at all the 'outgoing' types, a new neighborhood might help. But for others, I don't see that there will be much trouble in getting to know people. We've also taken a tip from people who have handed us their personal "business card" with their name, address, e-mail, phone, etc. on it.......so I whipped up some of those for us to hand to people we meet. It's so easy to forget phones numbers and such - this way people don't have to write anything down!

More importantly, though, I'd suggest buying what you want and where you want it as being more critical than moving to a new area primarily to more easily make new friends!

Re: a wine cellar.............can't help you with that one!!

Bill
Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Sage

There is a little truth in the comment about buying a new home in a new neighborhood. In a new neighborhood, most people don't know anyone or only a few people in TV. So they tend to look to their new neighbors to set up groups to golf, bowl, etc. When you move into an established neighborhood, a lot of these groups are well established and there may be the feeling of being an intruder.

Having said that. I think that it really doesn't matter whether you buy in a new or older village. In our village, we have had people move out and new people move in. Since we have a neighborhood social club that meets monthly, new residents are invited to the meetings and introduced, so they feel welcome and can get involved in various activities within the village. I still remember renting a home for a week before I bought here, and before I could get my rental car unpacked someone came over to invite me to play golf with the neighborhood group on Thursday.

Such is life in TV. You'll fit in wherever you wind up.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

I have to agree with Bill and Mike - however, it isn't so much fitting in as everyone being new and looking to make friends. I do think that if you are less outgoing, you might find it easier where the whole neighborhood is also new. However, you will find friends in lots of places here!

About the wine cellar - we know of folks who have put one in their kitchen and another in the garage.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:29 AM

We purchased in a new village thinking everyone would be new to the area. Not so, at all. Approximately 75% of the new village has moved from another place within TV. Not as easy to make new friends as we thought. As far as the wine cellar goes, one of our neighbors had one built in his garage. Quite an elaborate one too. So follow your heart and buy the perfect house for you, no matter where it is.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I believe buying new will kick start more friends and groups, resale will just take a little bit longer to be in the same place. As you become involved in outside activities that interest you and the clubs and people who are already engaged, you will migrate your close group of friends to those. So yes an advantage, big, no. However IMHO there is a huge advantage buying resale vs new. There are many threads on here that have that discussion.

As for the wine cellar. I also have a large cellar in my VA home that I keep at 56 degrees. Holds 1200 bottles and I currently have about 900 in there. I have looked at lots of options from building one to buying a self contained cellar. I am in a Gardenia model and have an alcove leaving the kitchen and going toward the master bedroom that is about 18 inches deep and 5 feet wide. I have drawn out plans to build a cellar in that space. I can build one that should hold about 500 bottles which hopefully will be enough space. Or have looked at buying one that holds 450. I also have a space in the garage that I could use to build one that would hold about 800 bottles. My concern with that space is the over work the cooling unit would have to take on as the garage stays very hot in the summer. Have even looked at installing a mini split system for the garage and insulating the door and attic space over the garage to maintain a more constant temperature. So somehow in some space I will have one. Not as large as the current cellar, but large enough.

Here is one under consideration, although I am leaning toward building.

http://www.vintagecellars.com/produc...dcategoryid=10
Old 07-06-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Re: a wine cellar.............can't help you with that one!!

Bill
Bill I have been a reader of TOTV for a long time. I think this is the first time you didn't have an answer!! That means you must be human!!

Thanks for the info and I agree it's easy to meet people if you are willing to introduce yourself. Thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I believe buying new will kick start more friends and groups, resale will just take a little bit longer to be in the same place. As you become involved in outside activities that interest you and the clubs and people who are already engaged, you will migrate your close group of friends to those. So yes an advantage, big, no. However IMHO there is a huge advantage buying resale vs new. There are many threads on here that have that discussion.

As for the wine cellar. I also have a large cellar in my VA home that I keep at 56 degrees. Holds 1200 bottles and I currently have about 900 in there. I have looked at lots of options from building one to buying a self contained cellar. I am in a Gardenia model and have an alcove leaving the kitchen and going toward the master bedroom that is about 18 inches deep and 5 feet wide. I have drawn out plans to build a cellar in that space. I can build one that should hold about 500 bottles which hopefully will be enough space. Or have looked at buying one that holds 450. I also have a space in the garage that I could use to build one that would hold about 800 bottles. My concern with that space is the over work the cooling unit would have to take on as the garage stays very hot in the summer. Have even looked at installing a mini split system for the garage and insulating the door and attic space over the garage to maintain a more constant temperature. So somehow in some space I will have one. Not as large as the current cellar, but large enough.

Here is one under consideration, although I am leaning toward building.

http://www.vintagecellars.com/produc...dcategoryid=10
Thank you so much. We have been looking at Latana's and other designers. I agree there have been a couple of layouts where the kitchen idea like yours would work. We had a contained cellar down here in Memphis but the heat in the garage simply killed it!! Trying to work out a place in the house A cellar that would hold 400 should be plenty big as we are really more drinkers than savers. Have a few special bottles but no more than 50-75. The rest are open game for any nights dinner / Happy hour!! Sounds like we might have to get together for a glasss of wine when we return in Septmeber if you are here then. Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback. I think we are going to listen to the group and buy the house we want and worry about making friends after.

Thanks to all who had thoughts and idea's on my 2 questions.

What a great bunch of people!!!

Big Mike and The Lovely Darlene
Old 07-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Bill I have been a reader of TOTV for a long time. I think this is the first time you didn't have an answer!! That means you must be human!! ........
HA! I laughed out loud! Funny stuff!! Thanks for the chuckle, Mike -

Bill
Old 07-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Sage

BigMike:

What!!! I thought Bill knew to answers to eyerything. Hi Bill

I always appreciated someone who said they didn't know the answer to a question as it is an honest reply.

When I first saw your post, I knew that 12ridehd would have the answer to the wine cellar question. Good response 12ridehd.

There are a lot of smart people on this forum.

TOTV rocks!!!!!!!!!

Best of Luck in finding a home that meets all of your desires.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Thank you so much. We have been looking at Latana's and other designers. I agree there have been a couple of layouts where the kitchen idea like yours would work. We had a contained cellar down here in Memphis but the heat in the garage simply killed it!! Trying to work out a place in the house A cellar that would hold 400 should be plenty big as we are really more drinkers than savers. Have a few special bottles but no more than 50-75. The rest are open game for any nights dinner / Happy hour!! Sounds like we might have to get together for a glasss of wine when we return in Septmeber if you are here then. Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback. I think we are going to listen to the group and buy the house we want and worry about making friends after.

Thanks to all who had thoughts and idea's on my 2 questions.

What a great bunch of people!!!

Big Mike and The Lovely Darlene
Big Mike and The Lovely Darlene, When you find the house with the wine cellar, please post your TV address so we can all sample your collection. Have you stopped at Gar Vino's wine shop/wine bar in Lake Sumter Landing? I walked past their store this afternoon after looking at the golf carts inside The Villages Golf Cart store as I'm here for the next 8 days. I didn't go in today, but may stop and check out Gar Vino's while I'm here. Cheers!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

a new home has all new people, so it may be a tad easier to make new friends, however I've found all of TV folks to be pretty friendly.

Wine cellar? Dig in the sand too far and you'd bet water!
better the kitchen idea somewhere else. best wishes
Old 07-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Gold member

The Seabrook (Premier) model has a butler pantry that could be turned into a large wine cellar.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.