Our Freedom is Falling OH MY

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2013, 02:28 AM
Sage
Default Our Freedom is Falling OH MY

50 years ago if it was suspected that someone had an illegal gun or was molesting children or just being a pain in the neighborhood, it would not be tolerated. Friends, neighbors, family, local officials of every kind would get involved and stop it.

Now, for some strange reason that a personal freedom will be lost if the person is stopped too many people are upset because THE GOVERNMENT steps in to stop it. Wake up. We all have more to worry about now than back then due to an unfounded fear that THE GOVERNMENT is taking our freedom. Some believe that we are going to **** in a handbag because of too many regulations or too invasive of ones privacy, yet if THE GOVERNMENT steps in to enforce common sense, then it becomes loss of freedom.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:18 AM
Veteran member

I remember when kids actually played outside without fear of strangers. Now they all play inside. Young women disappear all the time it seems, only to be found dead. And now this terrible, horrible shooting of the 13-month old baby in Georgia. So tragic! You are right, when are we going to wake up and demand real punishment of these criminals? They obviously do not fear any consequences of their actions.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:56 AM
Platinum member

GOVERNMENT steps in to enforce common sense.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-23-2013, 07:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

One very big and influential difference in our lives is the 24/7 media. When the media chooses to do so on any subject of it's choosing it can create a "national" event out of what would ordinarily be a local non-event.

While I have no idea of the exact impact, it has been stated that in some happenings, situations, areas, neighborhoods, cities, etc. there could have been no change in the amount or types of violence over the years EXCEPT for the reality of today's on the spot reporting by the 24/7 media reporting more details on EVERYTHING that we did not get before.

Contrast the constant bombarding our society is exposed to with it's smart phones, 24/7 media and INSTANT news coverage VS when we were kids and one got to see the news when one went to the movies on Saturday.......for about 6 minute out of our lives.

The other major impact in my opinion is the loss of majority rules (not advocating that it is right or wrong....only that it has changed).

And last but not least the all time champion of why our freedoms are affected.....selective enforcement, up to and including no enforcement of laws, rules regulations.

Progress is a measure of time and accomplishment......but no assurance that it is a favorable happen stance!

btk

Last edited by billethkid; 03-23-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
50 years ago if it was suspected that someone had an illegal gun or was molesting children or just being a pain in the neighborhood, it would not be tolerated. Friends, neighbors, family, local officials of every kind would get involved and stop it.

Now, for some strange reason that a personal freedom will be lost if the person is stopped too many people are upset because THE GOVERNMENT steps in to stop it. Wake up. We all have more to worry about now than back then due to an unfounded fear that THE GOVERNMENT is taking our freedom. Some believe that we are going to **** in a handbag because of too many regulations or too invasive of ones privacy, yet if THE GOVERNMENT steps in to enforce common sense, then it becomes loss of freedom.
Who ever said government and common sense belong in the same sentence.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
I remember when kids actually played outside without fear of strangers. Now they all play inside. Young women disappear all the time it seems, only to be found dead. And now this terrible, horrible shooting of the 13-month old baby in Georgia. So tragic! You are right, when are we going to wake up and demand real punishment of these criminals? They obviously do not fear any consequences of their actions.
I agree. However, ther are no REAL consequences to fear!

They either get off on a technicality, or the real joke - "25 to Life" but let out after several years for whatever stupid reason. This sentence should be AT LEAST 25 years.

Oh, and while they are in "jail." let's coddle them - give them cable TV, gyms, internet access etc. etc. A lot of these convicts have it much better in jail.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Veteran member

Well put 'ugotme'.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post

I'm not sure I follow what you're getting at. Could you give some specific examples? Are you referring to gun-control?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Violent crime as a % per capita has been a flat line or actually gone slightly down since the 50's. This means that your chance of being the victim of a violent act is actually the same now as then. Do we have more overall acts of violent crime? Yes, because of population growth. BUT, the amount of crime relative the amount of people has remained basically unchanged for over 60 years.

IMO, the biggest cause of the "kids can play out side" rampant paranoia is being bombarded with 24/7/365 "news". Until somewhat recently, if a violent act occurred unless you lived within a fairly close proximity ... you would never know, or might hear about it once or twice. Now, it is broadcast far & wide 24/7 for days and weeks and years. It gives many the perception that everyone except me and you (and I am not so sure about you) are the boogeyman waiting to strike.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
Violent crime as a % per capita has been a flat line or actually gone slightly down since the 50's. This means that your chance of being the victim of a violent act is actually the same now as then. Do we have more overall acts of violent crime? Yes, because of population growth. BUT, the amount of crime relative the amount of people has remained basically unchanged for over 60 years.

IMO, the biggest cause of the "kids can play out side" rampant paranoia is being bombarded with 24/7/365 "news". Until somewhat recently, if a violent act occurred unless you lived within a fairly close proximity ... you would never know, or might hear about it once or twice. Now, it is broadcast far & wide 24/7 for days and weeks and years. It gives many the perception that everyone except me and you (and I am not so sure about you) are the boogeyman waiting to strike.
I agree , people are getting paranoid with this constant new coverage.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Sage

The media promotes bad news. Ted Turner once tried a "good News" station that lasted all of two weeks. Unfortunately, the media's need to fill air space generally promotes the tragic events of the day. The can't do kind of news instead of positive news. That is why I will never watch the late news before going to bed as that junk will be replayed in my head all night long while sleeping.

The shooting of the 18 month old child is something that sickens me. I could barely read about it. I agree with "ugotme" that criminals are given an easy sentence in comparison to death. It has always amazed me that the consequences on one's action's never changes and people who murder, don't have the need to change for the better. Another example is the young man freed from prison, only to murder his grandparents who were trying to help him.
AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Veteran member

I think I agree with the OP but I am not sure what it is he said?
Old 03-26-2013, 01:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkei View Post
I think I agree with the OP but I am not sure what it is he said?

The American people in general don't know why they are complaining!!!!!
If the loudest mouth in our personal group does not like something, then we don't like it either!!!!

Stop blaming your neighbor, your government, the police etc. etc. and educate yourself and get involved with whatever issue you are concerned about. When I say educate yourself I do not in any way want you to turn on FOX or MSNBC as they are both the problem and not the solution. And don't go to web sites that lean one way or the other. You must educate yourself with proven facts. You will be surprised what a guppy the media has turned all of us into. We can truly be friends and neighbors if we stop being lead around by the nose like cattle. As long as we fight with each other, we are completely controllable by the media and officials in Washington.

Try this experiment:

Go to MSNBC and FOX and find a topic on both channels that are of a different subject, but both topics make you say WOW to yourself.
When you find and understand both topics then go to independent sources for the full factual story. You will certainly find that they both have a spin put on them that in my opinion makes them both a lie and you and I a fool for buying into their lie. This is an intentionally done to keep us at each others throats for no other reason than to keep us from the truth.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:49 AM
Veteran member

I agree that our perception of crime levels are very much heightened by non-stop sensational media reporting. However, crime statistics, how they are calculated and manipulated, keep the REAL statistics in that fuzzy gray area.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

Ok I can agree with that. I have long said if this country ever has another civil war it will not be between the races but between the haves and the have nots. I am not sure that there is much that can be done by US because the game is so rigged against us. We have allowed it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.