Our Freedom is Falling OH MY

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
The American people in general don't know why they are complaining!!!!!
If the loudest mouth in our personal group does not like something, then we don't like it either!!!!

Stop blaming your neighbor, your government, the police etc. etc. and educate yourself and get involved with whatever issue you are concerned about. When I say educate yourself I do not in any way want you to turn on FOX or MSNBC as they are both the problem and not the solution. And don't go to web sites that lean one way or the other. You must educate yourself with proven facts. You will be surprised what a guppy the media has turned all of us into. We can truly be friends and neighbors if we stop being lead around by the nose like cattle. As long as we fight with each other, we are completely controllable by the media and officials in Washington.

Try this experiment:

Go to MSNBC and FOX and find a topic on both channels that are of a different subject, but both topics make you say WOW to yourself.
When you find and understand both topics then go to independent sources for the full factual story. You will certainly find that they both have a spin put on them that in my opinion makes them both a lie and you and I a fool for buying into their lie. This is an intentionally done to keep us at each others throats for no other reason than to keep us from the truth.
I agree with you until you say, "then go to independent sources for the full factual story." That's a neat trick if you can determine who is truly independent. I have never found any such source that is truly independent. I think some sources are just better than others at hiding their biases.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:47 PM

In the distant past the only things we knew about were in our immediate vicinity, as there was no TV or radio, let alone internet, to connect us with the wider world.

And as it was in our immediate vicinity it is likely to have had some personal impact on us, as the event would have happened to a neighbor, friend or relative.

Today we have immediate access to news from around the World and subconciously still treat it as having a personal impact on us, even though in the majority of cases it didn't.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
50 years ago if it was suspected that someone had an illegal gun or was molesting children or just being a pain in the neighborhood, it would not be tolerated. Friends, neighbors, family, local officials of every kind would get involved and stop it.

Now, for some strange reason that a personal freedom will be lost if the person is stopped too many people are upset because THE GOVERNMENT steps in to stop it. Wake up. We all have more to worry about now than back then due to an unfounded fear that THE GOVERNMENT is taking our freedom. Some believe that we are going to **** in a handbag because of too many regulations or too invasive of ones privacy, yet if THE GOVERNMENT steps in to enforce common sense, then it becomes loss of freedom.
Over 200 years ago, our nation's forefathers wisely and rightly acknowledged that "THE GOVERNMENT" could become "tyranny" and "despotic", too.

From Declaration of Independence:

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused..."

Declaration of Independence - Text Transcript
Old 03-26-2013, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

the silent majority is now reaping what it has invested time in.....doing nothing about it or leaving it to the other guy or the very worst of them all...well it ain't in my back yard.

I used to say the silent majority gets what it deserves. I have modified it to ....they are getting what they deserved.

And yes, the system is now rigged that even the majority would have a problem getting ANYTHING done.

Such a pity....and always has been.

btk
Old 03-27-2013, 03:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I agree with you until you say, "then go to independent sources for the full factual story." That's a neat trick if you can determine who is truly independent. I have never found any such source that is truly independent. I think some sources are just better than others at hiding their biases.
I whole heatedly agree and it requires a lot of research. But I hope we can agree that MSNBC and FOX are two of the most biased so called news stations we have. To take either one of them as accurate reporting would be very foolish.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:47 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
Who ever said government and common sense belong in the same sentence.
I do.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
I remember when kids actually played outside without fear of strangers. Now they all play inside. Young women disappear all the time it seems, only to be found dead. And now this terrible, horrible shooting of the 13-month old baby in Georgia. So tragic! You are right, when are we going to wake up and demand real punishment of these criminals? They obviously do not fear any consequences of their actions.
I often tell my husband that no one probably wanted us.....as far as molestors and such. We played out in the "big city" streets and were never warned by our parents to be careful. Nothing ever happened. That was the 1950's.

Our kids played outside all the time in the 1970's.........ditto.
Granted, it was a small town, but they played in the woods and were never abducted, etc. They walked down into town to the library, etc. to the movies, etc. and to school in good weather when they didn't feel like taking the school bus.

The next generation of kids, raised in the 1980's as we noticed from our next door neighbors and friends, were driven everywhere and NOT allowed to play outside......that would be the era when everyone was suspected of doing something to kids.......including teachers, priests, doctors, you name it. That was the era of the "nursery school" witch hunts.......with many being incarcerated.........and later exonerated.
Or, the stranger in the car, passing through town.

Our own kids were the last generation that got to play out freely with no warnings........as it never entered our minds that they were not totally safe. Our "rural grandchildren" can still play out safely on their ten acres of land........and on their dirt roads but our "city" grandchildren will have to be walked to school by the parents......as times have changed.

Definite sea change in our society.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you explained that you do not own a television nor choose to own one?

I agree that the television news stations slant the news any which way they wish to. If truth be told, we are so sick of the evening news, of which we do watch two.......ABC's Diane Sawyer and David Muir (whom I prefer) and Scott Pelley on CBS. However, we occasionally turn on CNN and it's just a bunch of talking heads, repeating the same exact news every 15 minutes. Those young women seem to babble their way through the repeated news, trying to sound enthusiastic over something they've repeated a dozen or more times.........

I do read the major newspapers online from all the major cities, including D.C. and N.Y.C., etc...........and everyone would be surprised how "different" their coverage was of the U.S. Ambassador's assassination in Libya ..........compared to what the ARAB newspapers online printed actually happened. So, who to believe. Some newspapers did try to print the truth.

The days of Edward R. Murrow and Walter Cronkite; Chet Huntley and David Brinkly are OVER. That's when t.v. news was basically straight news. Everyone knows who owns ABC. Disney. So, entertainment is stressed with just short soundbites of more serious news..........unless they truly believe the American viewing public no longer have an attention span?????

My hubby's pet peeve are those pharmaceutical ads which all have "side effects" far worse than the original ailment they are trying to "treat".
Like, what would we rather have.........arthritis or take the drugs and possibly get lung cancer, blood cancer or even death as they claim on the t.v. ads. Go figure.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you explained that you do not own a television nor choose to own one?

I agree that the television news stations slant the news any which way they wish to. If truth be told, we are so sick of the evening news, of which we do watch two.......ABC's Diane Sawyer and David Muir (whom I prefer) and Scott Pelley on CBS. However, we occasionally turn on CNN and it's just a bunch of talking heads, repeating the same exact news every 15 minutes. Those young women seem to babble their way through the repeated news, trying to sound enthusiastic over something they've repeated a dozen or more times.........

I do read the major newspapers online from all the major cities, including D.C. and N.Y.C., etc...........and everyone would be surprised how "different" their coverage was of the U.S. Ambassador's assassination in Libya ..........compared to what the ARAB newspapers online printed actually happened. So, who to believe. Some newspapers did try to print the truth.

The days of Edward R. Murrow and Walter Cronkite; Chet Huntley and David Brinkly are OVER. That's when t.v. news was basically straight news. Everyone knows who owns ABC. Disney. So, entertainment is stressed with just short soundbites of more serious news..........unless they truly believe the American viewing public no longer have an attention span?????

My hubby's pet peeve are those pharmaceutical ads which all have "side effects" far worse than the original ailment they are trying to "treat".
Like, what would we rather have.........arthritis or take the drugs and possibly get lung cancer, blood cancer or even death as they claim on the t.v. ads. Go figure.
The last time I had a TV was back around early 2005. And when I did have it, I just got 2 stations with rabbit ears. So I'm sure you know more about it than I do. Now I get most of my news from 5 sources: 1) radio (hourly) news 2) talk show hosts 3) NPR 4) The Villages Daily Sun and 5) a little from the internet (a little because I don't have the patients to read it).

Do you know what the last straw was for me that caused me to not buy a new TV when I moved? Well, for one thing, my favorite show, Sienfeld, was going off the air. Then came a new half hour comedy (don't remember the name of it) that I thought had some funny material. It was about two gay guys living together. But when one of them kissed the other on the lips I thought it went too far. I figured it would only be a matter of time before they would push it further and further, and I didn't want to be a part of it.

Yes, I agree about the pharmaceuticals and I'm glad I don't have to watch it. I agree completely with you and your husband.

I almost forgot to mention some of the daytime talk shows: I'm glad I got away from that too.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Email Reported As Spam

In reviewing the posts it is apparent that some do not even recognize the freedoms that they have actually lost to date nor that this present Adminisistration is in the process of stiking the coup de grace "concerning our freedoms.

An employee of mine once told me that her Daddy advise her to keep her friends close and her enemies closer. I agreed but then explained to her the real talent was to learn who are your friends and who are your enemies. That is the manner in which I view much.

The media does not report the news that make it up tell you what they want you to hear. In my view the closest to honesty is the WSJ because their interests are primarily economic

The American people are angry at both parties and the American people do not trust their government any longer. i can't tell you number of people I know who refuse to discusss politics any longer because they cannot do so in a measured manner.

We need strong leaders who will not bend to the political winds but make the necessary decisions that will return this democracy to its rightful place.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
In reviewing the posts it is apparent that some do not even recognize the freedoms that they have actually lost to date nor that this present Adminisistration is in the process of stiking the coup de grace "concerning our freedoms.

An employee of mine once told me that her Daddy advise her to keep her friends close and her enemies closer. I agreed but then explained to her the real talent was to learn who are your friends and who are your enemies. That is the manner in which I view much.

The media does not report the news that make it up tell you what they want you to hear. In my view the closest to honesty is the WSJ because their interests are primarily economic

The American people are angry at both parties and the American people do not trust their government any longer. i can't tell you number of people I know who refuse to discusss politics any longer because they cannot do so in a measured manner.

We need strong leaders who will not bend to the political winds but make the necessary decisions that will return this democracy to its rightful place.
Much of what you stated are non-specific generalizations and hyperbole.... exaggeration!

People of all stripes are "always" dissatisfied with some aspect of their leadership in any situation.... including government.

The problem with "real world problems".... they are very intertwined and complicated. There often is not a perfect solution. Do nothing, one group complains. Do something, somebody else criticizes it.

I think we are living in a time with one of the the best incarnation of any government ever... it enables more personal liberty and freedom than has existed in this world so far... at least in recorded history.

There will always be the Yin and Yang of issues that are at odds. Our government enables corrections to be made. Sometimes there may be a misfire or over-correction. If certain changes are not working, it will adjust.

Relax!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.