Painting ceramic wall tile?

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2018, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Painting ceramic wall tile?

Has anybody done it?
Results?
I am sure adhesion and chipping are major considerations.

Being considered for a decorative wall feature that gets no use other than being present.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:12 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Painting Tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Has anybody done it?
Results?
I am sure adhesion and chipping are major considerations.

Being considered for a decorative wall feature that gets no use other than being present.
If the tile is sanded then primed with a good bonding primer it can be painted. Len the retired half of Investment Painting.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:27 AM
Sage

Yes, in a 1950's built house. My husband did both the kitchen backsplash that was originally green and the shower/tub surround that was pink and gray. He painted white paint over all the tile and there was never any problem with either adhesion or chipping in the nine years we lived there. The paint was epoxy, I think, and he prepared the surface before painting but I don't remember how.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:32 AM
Platinum member

Years ago I lived in an extremely old apartment building in Brooklyn. The bathroom tile (formerly white) was yellowed with very old, dirty grout. I washed it down then applied a product called "liquid sandpaper". When fully dry, I painted as usual. It never peeled and looked beautiful for years despite the fact that I took many steaming hot showers.

However, spurred on by this success I tackled the old kitchen sink with an Epoxy/Ceramic kit. Followed instructions perfectly and then left for a 1-week vacation so that it would be totally dried. The first time I filled the sink with water, the paint bubbled all along the water line. It took me weeks to peel off all the remnants of that process and my sink looked worse than ever. Eventually I bit the bullet and replaced the sink.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:42 PM

Prime with XIM flashbond primer then paint with high grade epoxy. Won't have a problem.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:37 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail41 View Post
Prime with XIM flashbond primer then paint with high grade epoxy. Won't have a problem.
Right on the money. Back in the late 90s we had a contract to paint all the fully tiled bathrooms for the entire Bakers Square restaurant chain and the system you mentioned with an additional coat of Multi-Spec lasted for years. Len
Closed Thread

Tags
wall, decorative, considered, feature, considerations

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.