Paper straws

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2018, 09:24 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton
Default Paper straws

Haven’t used a paper straw since my youth until spending a few days with my wife on the beach in Indian Shores south of Clearwater. It seemed that every restaurant in that area was providing paper straws for use. While I understand that many eateries are making the switch to have ecological friendly straws available, I can’t say I enjoy this experience going back to my youth.

For one thing, the paper strays tend to stick to the lip to then be hard to expel for use of a better term. The plastic ones slide easily in and out of the mouth making the task of drinking and then chewing simpler.

The paper straws tend to leave small debris on the lips and in the mouth. Never had plastics do this. But, that’s why some don’t like plastic straws because they hold up for a long time.

At an Ice Cream parlor, the owner stated that she would give me two paper straws as sometime one wouldn’t hold up while drinking a milkshake. She claimed that paper straws are also more expensive and give her customers grief.

In the Villages, I did purchase a McAllister’s ice tea drink cup with plastic straw that can be reused many times. In fact, I have used this same cup and straw for the past three years saving me money and the environment fewer troubles.

So, the powers to be seem to say paper straws or none at all. Well, I am going to PDQ at 3PM TOMORROW to purchase a ½ price thick milkshake and use one of their very large plastic straws to enjoy the experience before everyone switches back to paper straws.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:40 PM

so take your pick The 6 Best Reusable Straws 2018
Old 12-09-2018, 11:38 PM

Why do restaurants give straws anyway? Does anyone use a straw at home? Drink your drink like a big boy.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:30 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Dum View Post
Why do restaurants give straws anyway? Does anyone use a straw at home? Drink your drink like a big boy.
This big boy has a mustache that gets in the way of consuming a thick shake without a mess on ones face. So, I use a straw when eating/drinking in public places.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Paper straws reminds me of country song
Paper Rosie - GENE WATSON LIVE VIDEO- PLAY IT AGAIN NASHVILLE -1985 - YouTube
Old 12-10-2018, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

You know, no one ever asks for a straw for beer.

I am told that if you live in London, it is hard to find or buy paper napkins or plastic storage or sandwich bags.

I guess I could get used to all that again. I think I own more cloth napkins than we need by far.

I bet young mothers won't give up disposable diapers for their babies. Our first had no choice but cloth diapers.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:24 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Dum View Post
Guess you have never considered that some "big" boys and girls who suffer with Parkinson's or other motor skills challenges and kids with special needs require a sturdy straw in order to 'drink their drink'! Plastic straws are making a great stocking stuffer this year!

Closed Thread

Tags
straws, paper, plastic, straw, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.