Parking ticket scams because they believe we are too soon old and too late wise.

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2023, 11:41 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default Parking ticket scams because they believe we are too soon old and too late wise.

Emerging artificial intelligence tools in the hands of scammers may be a near-future threat but the bad guys are already using technology to separate people from their money. The parking ticket scam is a prime example.
You may find a parking spot downtown to run a few errors. You put plenty of money in the meter, take the receipt and place it on your dashboard as instructed.

But when you return well within the allotted time period, low and behold there is a parking ticket on your windshield. How could that be?

A police officer didn’t put it there – a scammer did. With the help of a sophisticated hand-held printer, the scammer printed out a fake ticket that looked every bit as official as the real thing.

Many people figure “you can’t fight city hall” and pay it as instructed. But instead of being told to pay the fine at the courts building or the police station, the ticket asks for payment through PayPal or some non-governmental website.

If you pay the fine, you’ll not only pay for something you don’t owe but you will also hand the scammer a lot of personal information, including your name, address, phone number, and maybe even credit card or bank account information.

"I paid $15 to park in a garage and received a receipt for it, which I displayed on my dashboard,” one recent victim told the Better Business Bureau. “However, I then received a violation notice for $56 for the parking receipt not being visible on the dashboard."

It’s a widespread scam
The Identity Theft Resource Center (ITRC) reports the scam appears to be widespread across the U.S. and offers this advice to people who are surprised to find a ticket on their windshield:

If you pay any ticket or fine online, verify the website before proceeding.

Any legitimate ticket will have a case number or citation number, and will not require outrageous amounts of personal information.

When in doubt, contact your law enforcement agency and verify the fine.

Sometimes police make arrests in these cases. In late December the Santa Cruz, Calif., Police Department arrested a 19-year-old on suspicion of unlawful use of a computer system and attempted fraud. Police say they don’t know how many fake tickets were distributed in the area but said they received “multiple” reports.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Wow new types of fraud everyday.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

Now that is a great piece of new information for which we all need to be aware.

Thank you very much!
Old 01-18-2023, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfmi View Post
Emerging artificial intelligence tools in the hands of scammers may be a near-future threat but the bad guys are already using technology to separate people from their money. The parking ticket scam is a prime example.
You may find a parking spot downtown to run a few errors. You put plenty of money in the meter, take the receipt and place it on your dashboard as instructed.

But when you return well within the allotted time period, low and behold there is a parking ticket on your windshield. How could that be?

A police officer didn’t put it there – a scammer did. With the help of a sophisticated hand-held printer, the scammer printed out a fake ticket that looked every bit as official as the real thing.

Many people figure “you can’t fight city hall” and pay it as instructed. But instead of being told to pay the fine at the courts building or the police station, the ticket asks for payment through PayPal or some non-governmental website.

If you pay the fine, you’ll not only pay for something you don’t owe but you will also hand the scammer a lot of personal information, including your name, address, phone number, and maybe even credit card or bank account information.

"I paid $15 to park in a garage and received a receipt for it, which I displayed on my dashboard,” one recent victim told the Better Business Bureau. “However, I then received a violation notice for $56 for the parking receipt not being visible on the dashboard."

It’s a widespread scam
The Identity Theft Resource Center (ITRC) reports the scam appears to be widespread across the U.S. and offers this advice to people who are surprised to find a ticket on their windshield:

If you pay any ticket or fine online, verify the website before proceeding.

Any legitimate ticket will have a case number or citation number, and will not require outrageous amounts of personal information.

When in doubt, contact your law enforcement agency and verify the fine.

Sometimes police make arrests in these cases. In late December the Santa Cruz, Calif., Police Department arrested a 19-year-old on suspicion of unlawful use of a computer system and attempted fraud. Police say they don’t know how many fake tickets were distributed in the area but said they received “multiple” reports.
Thanks for that!
Closed Thread

Tags
ticket, police, pay, parking, fine

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.