PayPal

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2020, 05:51 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Her OP said she got "Has anyone out there ever received a PayPal payment into their account that wasn’t meant for them." Everyone seems to be assuming it was an EMAIL with a link to PayPal. If she actually got MONEY IN HER ACCOUNT the chances of it being a scam vs. a mistake are quite slim. She needs to confirm but it seems quite often someone posts something and never returns to clarify.
I have gotten e-mails from PayPay telling me a payment was made to my account. I always sign into PayPay from their website to verify. I do this even if I know a payment is coming from something I sold but I never click on a link.
If this was from a scammer and the OP used a link in the e-mail to log into their account they just gave the scammer their user name and password. The scammer then could log into the OP's account and send a payment to their account or purchase merchandise.
That is why I was wanting clarification on the initial notice they had money in their account. If it came from PayPal itself and there was actually money in their account some one should be looking for it pretty soon. I'm surprised PayPay ignored them.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I agree what’s odds of someone paying their rent with PayPal?
For me it was 100%. The owner of the home I rented here in Sept 2016 did as well as the owner of the home I rented Jan/Feb/Mar 2017 while looking for our own place here did and in fact requested it vs waiting for a check from us. It's a lot more prolific then you might imagine as funds are in your account within minutes. I'd bet quite a few who have rentals here do gladly accept it.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
I have gotten e-mails from PayPay telling me a payment was made to my account.
OF COURSE you would but once again the OP said IN HER ACCOUNT and nothing about EMAIL. Had it been an email with a link I agree with you 1000%. Too much assuming going on. I have been using PayPal (and eBay) since 1998 so I pretty much know it's ins and outs.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:02 AM

Just click refund!
Old 09-08-2020, 05:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Be carefull.
Do as suggested. ie. Check PayPal account by signing in to account direct, not from any link.
I regularly get phising atttempts purporting to come from PayPal. Some are very cleverly worded.
Thats correct. If you clicked the 'fake link' on the email you may have inadvertently given the scammer your PayPal user name and password. Got to www/Paypal.com yourself and change you password and security questions.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:10 AM

If I read your post correctly you said you tried to call PayPal. I have talked to them several times. Their number is 888-221-1161. Hope it works. God bless
Old 09-08-2020, 07:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I used to get these all the time, and it always confused me because I don't have a PayPal account.

These days I get them from Amazon, as text messages on my cell phone. Usually saying:

Dear [null]:
We are waiting to deliver your package. Please press on this completely, totally innocent hyperlink that will absolutely not take you to a scam website, and type in your credentials so that we can totally not steal your identity and use it to make fraudulent purchases on your behalf.
Love, Amazon.

(or some words to that effect)
I’m also leery of scams. However, I lost out on a large eBay sale early this year because I thought a message that payment couldn’t be made until I fixed something was a scam (and Paypal actually told me it was a scam), but the problem turned out to be that I had a new Visa card that had the same number and name and bank, but a different expiration date. So the money wouldn’t come through until that was fixed. I fixed it on the PayPal site using my account—NOT through the email. But I lost that first sale.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:23 AM

If the funds are actually in your Paypal account, there will be a notification after you sign in to Paypal. Click on the details and on the next page will be a button to click on to refund the payment.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture10.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	86179  
Old 09-08-2020, 08:23 AM
Default PayPal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
DO NOT REFUND THE MONEY. Let PayPal figure it out, if it is in fact a rent payment he/she will soon be hearing from their landlord and they'll go back to PayPal to check on it. If you notify PayPal and yes you can actually talk with a representative at PayPal, and you sent the sender a e-mail and a text you have done your part, they'll figure it out, just don't spend it or take it out.
I have tried numerous times to speak with someone to no avail. Money is there and cleared. Had the girl’s email and have emailed and texted her with no response. I guess I will try the resolution center AGAIN. I don’t have a bank account linked to my account only credit card so hopefully that is safe
Old 09-08-2020, 08:29 AM

There is a phone number on PayPal page
They will help immediately
Old 09-08-2020, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,623 Times in 5,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltma View Post
I have tried numerous times to speak with someone to no avail. Money is there and cleared. Had the girl’s email and have emailed and texted her with no response. I guess I will try the resolution center AGAIN. I don’t have a bank account linked to my account only credit card so hopefully that is safe
I still wouldn't refund the money to the payer. I would notify PayPal in writing or email, and document the notification. If they want to fix it, PayPal will debit your account.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

I'd bet it's a scam. I have used the Paypal resolution center to resolve a dispute with a vendor and the process worked just fine. Let Paypal handle this, I would advise to NOT be sending any money out to anyone on your own.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:40 AM
Default PayPal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltma View Post
Has anyone out there ever received a PayPal payment into their account that wasn’t meant for them. Someone sent me their rent. I have tried numerous times to email and text them with no response. This amount is quite a bit and doesn’t belong to me. I have tried to get PayPal to help to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions?
I am the original poster here. To clarify, I had no links that I clicked on. I am smarter than that. I received an email from “Michelle B” asking me to text her when I received her “rent “. I immediately went to my PayPal account and there it was August 31. Over $800. Contacted PayPal and they said it would probably be taken back before it cleared. It cleared on September 4th. Didn’t get taken back. I emailed and texted her with no response to this day. I will contact PayPal again today but while I have spoken with them in the past, they no longer have live people. Thanks to everyone for their advice. I will keep you updated when anything happens
Old 09-08-2020, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,623 Times in 5,201 Posts

It sure sounds like a scam to me. But, if you have notified PayPal, I wouldn't do anything else.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:36 AM

The telling phase is pay pal did nothing. It’s got to be a scam, if legit PayPal would handle it
Closed Thread

Tags
paypal, text, response, amount, bit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.