The perfect storm brewing in The Middle East???

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2015, 05:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags123 View Post
"U.S. President Barack Obama has demanded that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stop encouraging U.S. senators and congressmen to advance new sanctions legislation against Iran.

A senior American official, who asked to remain anonymous due to the diplomatic sensitivity of the issue, said Obama gave Netanyahu this message during a telephone call on Monday, January 12."

"Obama also warned Netanyahu not to meddle in the battle he is waging against Congress over the sanctions legislation, the official said. This warning was issued more than a week before Speaker of the House John Boehner publicly invited Netanyahu to address a joint session of Congress. Netanyahu’s address, which will take place at the height of the battle between Obama and the Republican-controlled Congress, is expected to focus on the Iranian nuclear issue and what he sees as the need to ratchet up the pressure on the Iran."

Obama to Netanyahu: Stop pushing Congress toward new sanctions on Iran - Diplomacy and Defense - Israel News | Haaretz

Wondering how our government would react if WARNED not to get involved. THIS IS THEIR LIVES.

I do understand the asking not to get involved. I DO NOT understand not meeting with him based on "long standing practice" as our leader is not big on long standing practice as we have found out.

PLEASE....I am simply responding to reply to posts, but do not want this to become P, so maybe we can talk about what is going on in the ME.
But it's ok for Cameron to personally call Senators to try and convince them what to do? I guess what is good for the goose is not good for the gander. What a convoluted world he has created.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:25 PM
Sage

There will come a time that folks will say "I didn't see this coming!" We here in the U.S. are so privileged and so far-removed from "over there" that we've become complacent. I believe that it's in the not too far distant future that "they" will become more of a presence here...more, than we'd ever bargain for.

There will arise a man who will say, now I'm para-phrasing, I can bring peace to all of this. For a time he will THEN we'll see a world as we've never seen it before and might I say, it won't be pretty.

Thank you Rags123 for posting your thoughts!!!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I am so disgusted with our national leaders
You call them leaders, I call them whimpy cowards that think if we will be nice to our enemies they will be nice to us. That's our foreign policy. Glad we didn't have these leaders in office during WWII or we wouldn't be here now.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:00 PM
Veteran member

Anyone really interested in a great overview of the area up to date....read this....for me, anyway, this is important...it is not political, so just be aware...

"King Salman of Saudi Arabia has inherited the throne from his older brother and with it a host of pressing challenges in a turbulent region.

To the south, Yemen is in chaos. To the north, the militant group ISIS is wreaking havoc in Iraq and Syria. More broadly, Saudi Arabia remains locked in a regional cold war with Iran.

Within the kingdom's borders, Salman has to decide how to pace sensitive reforms while keeping a lid on extremism.

The stakes are high in one of the leading regional powers in the Middle East and a key U.S. ally.

"Saudi Arabia has been critical to preserving some degree of regional stability in the face of a growing Iranian threat, during the rise of Islamic extremism that followed the U.S. invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, and during the new wave of upheavals that began in the spring of 2011," Anthony H. Cordesman, a Middle East expert at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, wrote in a commentary this month.

New Saudi King's big challenges: Yemen, Iran and ISIS - CNN.com

This link gives a great overview by country and/or group....a real worthwhile read.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
It's a long standing practice for any President not to see heads of state or candidates when the time is close to their election. This avoids the appearance of influencing a democratic election in a foreign country. Israel's election is just two weeks later.
"Denying it is snubbing Netanyahu, White House cites ‘long-standing practice’ of not inviting candidates close to polling day. So what was Clinton doing with Peres in 1996?

Read more: Actually, a US president did host an Israeli PM just before elections | The Times of Israel Actually, a US president did host an Israeli PM just before elections | The Times of Israel
Follow us: @timesofisrael on Twitter | timesofisrael on Facebook

Just mentioning so we all work with FACTS
Old 01-23-2015, 09:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
But it's ok for Cameron to personally call Senators to try and convince them what to do? I guess what is good for the goose is not good for the gander. What a convoluted world he has created.
As I understand it, this was the impetus for the invite and much more of a new thing than inviting the Israeli Prime minister...

"This was odd since “protocol” would normally prohibit a foreign leader such as British Prime Minister David Cameron from lobbying Congress on the matter. It would also not permit the administration to repeatedly promise Congress that it would have a vote on any final deal and then do a complete reversal, claiming the administration could enter into any agreement without Congress."

Last night a story broke suggesting Mossad and the CIA were both telling lawmakers that sanctions would wreck negotiations. This “leak” would be another breach of protocol. Secretary of State John Kerry repeated the accusation about Mossad today, strongly suggesting that this all came from the administration spin machine. Mossad in turn issued an unprecedented denial:

On 19 January 2015, Mossad Chairman Tamir Pardo met with a delegation of American Senators. The meeting took place at the Senators’ request, and with the Prime Minister’s approval.

Contrary to the report, the Mossad Chairman did not say that he opposes additional sanctions against Iran. In the meeting, the Mossad Chairman emphasized the unusual effectiveness of the sanctions imposed on Iran a number of years ago in bringing Iran to the negotiating table.

Israel intrigue: What happened since the SOTU - The Washington Post
Old 01-23-2015, 09:16 PM

history repeats itselfbecause human nature hasn't changed. It is a no win situation. If we stay in the middle east, they blame us for their problems, but if we leave, they will continue to fight each other anywzys. I would like to say we should leave, but Iran and pakistan do have nuclear bombs besides Israel. If a nuclear war starts there, will we, russia and china stay out of it?
We tried to be isolationists before, but got dragged into WWI and II.
I have heard an interesting possible solution and wish it could be so easy. divide the current countries into separate ones according to the warring factions: shiites, sunnis, and kurds. Though they may still fight each other anyways.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags123 View Post
Not sure of the point here. YES, relations between Israel and USA are at an all time low. BUT, the Iran negotiations are more critical to Israel than anyone...would you agree ?

Not sure of the point you make. The King of Saudi who just died could not stand President Obama either which means what. Sometimes for the good of the order you just do what is right, not what is comfy and best for you personally. I have no idea of personal relations but sure hope that in order to be an ally of the USA, you have to be best buds. That might restrict our friends quite a bit.

The point was just an FYI based on your post which was about Obama and Netanyahu as far as policy differences. Nothing more, nothing less. Pretty simple.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
The point was just an FYI based on your post which was about Obama and Netanyahu as far as policy differences. Nothing more, nothing less. Pretty simple.
Fair enough. Point taken. Sorry for over complicating.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
There will come a time that folks will say "I didn't see this coming!" We here in the U.S. are so privileged and so far-removed from "over there" that we've become complacent. I believe that it's in the not too far distant future that "they" will become more of a presence here...more, than we'd ever bargain for.

There will arise a man who will say, now I'm para-phrasing, I can bring peace to all of this. For a time he will THEN we'll see a world as we've never seen it before and might I say, it won't be pretty.

Thank you Rags123 for posting your thoughts!!!
Ahhh, notgolfer. You know Bible prophecy, yes?
Old 01-24-2015, 05:00 AM
Gold member

To keep in mind....

Obama: 'ISIL Is Not Islamic' - Breitbart

Old 01-24-2015, 08:27 AM
Sage

So President Obama refuses to meet with Netanyahu and instead of President Obama going to France, we send James Taylor and John Kerry to sing You've Got a Friend but he is going to Saudi Arabia to show respect to President Abdullah.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

yes the actions do speak volumes where this administration's priorities and loyalties are.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:01 AM
Eternal Member

Now lets make two things clear — ISIL is not Islamic. No religion condones the killing of innocents the vast majority of ISIL’s victims have been Muslim,” Obama said. “ISIL is certainly not a state. It was formally al-Qaeda’s affiliate in Iraq.”

I certainly do not see anything wrong with this statement. The President stated that ISIL is NOT a religion and it is NOT a state.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
So President Obama refuses to meet with Netanyahu and instead of President Obama going to France, we send James Taylor and John Kerry to sing You've Got a Friend but he is going to Saudi Arabia to show respect to President Abdullah.
King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. And if President Obama did not go this thread would rip him for that. "Oh, Obama snubbed an ally in the war on terror". Or "All the other heads of state were there, where was he"? Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.