The perfect storm brewing in The Middle East???

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2015, 01:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Yes, people are concerned and rightfully so.

However, it is not a time for looking back but looking forward as to doing what should be done.

Some choices are: US soldiers sent to Yemen in a combat role to take out the ISIS; withdraw completely from that area and let them fight it out; continue drone strikes against ISIS targets; work with countries in the area for solutions (and rewarding the ones who work with USA and sanctioning those who do not).

Anymore choices?
YES...suggestion.....RECOGNIZE IT AS A PROBLEM !!!

That is what we just will not do, and we need to do that so conress and the WH can collectively deal with it. But we do not seem to even know what or where the problems are.

For P purposes, we had to hang a sign proclaiming this as a success story, and that presents a question as to why we did that a short 16 weeks ago, and if we were not aware the terrorists were taking over...why not.s

I agree with looking into the future but in order to do that correctly, you need to find out why we are where we are. We seem to be reluctant to use our power and the payoff for that is what is happening.

That does not mean...attack and destroy a country in anyway, or invade and conquer, so before you call hawk or whatever the name of the day is, I mean assert ourselves. The world seems to know that we will do nothing offensive...that we are politically stunted because THAT...politics....is seen to be driving what we do. I have no idea of what kind of power is needed or to what extent, but I am hoping that our country knows and will begin to exert it.

When we draw a line in the sand or are negotiating we need to insure that others know that we mean what we say (See Syria and Iran). Do we not know enough about these folks to know that only our power is recognized, otherwise we are simply infidels to be pushed around.

I am not blaming....using a new technique as we have was tried and it is not working. Not even recognizing the threat is a scary thing to me.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags123 View Post
YES...suggestion.....RECOGNIZE IT AS A PROBLEM !!!

That is what we just will not do, and we need to do that so conress and the WH can collectively deal with it. But we do not seem to even know what or where the problems are.

Or what to call the threat. We are playing word games, Isis, Isil, Daesh? I heard Kerry call it "Dash" yesterday and had to look it up. Why is there such a negative stigma to calling it Radical Islam on the Washington stage?

Why didn't Obama go to Paris and march with the other world leaders to show WE are against Islamic terrorism..as a nation. Why is he not receiving Netanyahu in March? He seems more angry and defiant by the day.

At least 100 years from now that is probably what will be written in history books.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Veteran member

Newt tried to tell you we need a base on the moon
Old 01-23-2015, 01:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

I recall a very appropriate cartoon from the cold war days showing Kruschev with his hand out to shake with Uncle Sam with his other hand behind his back with a fist full of nuclear weapons. Updated for today it would be the heads of Iran and Syria with their hands out while trying to constrain ROTFLOF!!!!

The play nice nice diplomacy and naievete' of recent years has compromised our position in the world. We the people of the USA are in far more danger now as a result of this predictable wishy washy positioning. The ruthless are salivating at the opportunities being afforded to them.

The bad guys have the advantage of dealing with what used to be called the paper tiger.

I see no change in the course of events of the current events. Only an emasculated acting, once upon a time feared, military and technologically superior country.

It usually takes a "significant event" to change a course of current events.....which will most likely involve a major loss of innocent lives!! I am very concerned about the ability of the USA to be able to defend itself and recover as our history shows we were very able to do.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:53 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Please acknowledge the big white elephant in the room. NATIONAL LEADERSHIP HAS FAILED AMERICA DESPITE CONTINUAL WARNINGS FROM PEOPLE LIKE JOHN BOLTON.

THE FRENCH DID THE SAME THING IN WWII AND THE USA HAD TO BAIL THEM OUT. WHO HAS THE CAPABILITY TO BAIL US OUT??????

I am so disgusted with our national leaders
Old 01-23-2015, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Or what to call the threat. We are playing word games, Isis, Isil, Daesh? I heard Kerry call it "Dash" yesterday and had to look it up. Why is there such a negative stigma to calling it Radical Islam on the Washington stage?

Why didn't Obama go to Paris and march with the other world leaders to show WE are against Islamic terrorism..as a nation. Why is he not receiving Netanyahu in March? He seems more angry and defiant by the day.

At least 100 years from now that is probably what will be written in history books.
It's a long standing practice for any President not to see heads of state or candidates when the time is close to their election. This avoids the appearance of influencing a democratic election in a foreign country. Israel's election is just two weeks later.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:50 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

4 months ago Yeman was a success. ONLY if your definition of success is that a radical bunch of crazy killers were about to take over. We knew exactly what the status of Yeman was. We knew what was going to happen. And to stand up and say it was a success could only mean one thing. What was going to happen was what you wanted to happen. Wake up America

If it's not clear to everyone by now that this countries leadership supports muslim ambitions than you are very blind to what is going on in the world. Why our forth estate continues to turn a blind eye is beyond rational thinking.

Elections have consequences and we have been seeing the results for a while now.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:23 PM

As sad as it is, I have to agree and our major news sources are complicit. Our leader has been given a pass by all but one news source and they have been hesitant to call him on the radical Islam issue. There is not doubt, Islam is at war with the Western world. History is just repeating itself.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplars View Post
As sad as it is, I have to agree and our major news sources are complicit. Our leader has been given a pass by all but one news source and they have been hesitant to call him on the radical Islam issue. There is not doubt, Islam is at war with the Western world. History is just repeating itself.
Our leader has been given a pass by all but Fox. Why is that? This is not an attack on Fox but a question as to why only them?
Old 01-23-2015, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Our leader has been given a pass by all but Fox. Why is that? This is not an attack on Fox but a question as to why only them?

That is not true. Both CNN and MSNBC questioned why he did not attend the march in Paris.

They have reported he is furious that Netanyahu has been invited to Congress.

I watch primarily CNN.

But all print and TV news and internet news used the word "defiant" to describe his state of the union speech.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
It's a long standing practice for any President not to see heads of state or candidates when the time is close to their election. This avoids the appearance of influencing a democratic election in a foreign country. Israel's election is just two weeks later.
"U.S. President Barack Obama has demanded that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stop encouraging U.S. senators and congressmen to advance new sanctions legislation against Iran.

A senior American official, who asked to remain anonymous due to the diplomatic sensitivity of the issue, said Obama gave Netanyahu this message during a telephone call on Monday, January 12."

"Obama also warned Netanyahu not to meddle in the battle he is waging against Congress over the sanctions legislation, the official said. This warning was issued more than a week before Speaker of the House John Boehner publicly invited Netanyahu to address a joint session of Congress. Netanyahu’s address, which will take place at the height of the battle between Obama and the Republican-controlled Congress, is expected to focus on the Iranian nuclear issue and what he sees as the need to ratchet up the pressure on the Iran."

Obama to Netanyahu: Stop pushing Congress toward new sanctions on Iran - Diplomacy and Defense - Israel News | Haaretz

Wondering how our government would react if WARNED not to get involved. THIS IS THEIR LIVES.

I do understand the asking not to get involved. I DO NOT understand not meeting with him based on "long standing practice" as our leader is not big on long standing practice as we have found out.

PLEASE....I am simply responding to reply to posts, but do not want this to become P, so maybe we can talk about what is going on in the ME.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I was serious about this not being P, however the fact is that Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), considered the worst of the terrorists groups was formed in 2009, which is well within that 7 year framework and was formed while we gave them money.

BUT.....it still is a problem for the USA and not the R or the D and my hope and prayer is that people stop playing this game. As long as every item is viewed through a P prism we are solving nothing.

Does not matter under whose watch it happened as long as we recognize it exists and deal with it. We just do not seem to be able to do that, do we ?

Your fact is not even close to correct:

al-Qaeda | Islamic militant organization | Encyclopedia Britannica

This entire thread is LONG on condemnations and very SHORT on recommendations on EXACTLY what to do! "We need to be aware" .... ok, now what??
Old 01-23-2015, 05:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
Your fact is not even close to correct:

al-Qaeda | Islamic militant organization | Encyclopedia Britannica

This entire thread is LONG on condemnations and very SHORT on recommendations on EXACTLY what to do! "We need to be aware" .... ok, now what??
Speaking of FACTS, YOU ARE LINKING TO AL-QAEDA, which is not what is being discussed......the subject is AQAP which was born in Yeman, our example of a great story in fighing terrorists, and it was born in 2009 and we gave them OODLES OF MONEY

"Peninsula (AQAP), described by
the U.S. government as "the most
active and dangerous" branch of
Al Qaeda, is the terrorist
organization's wing in Yemen
and Saudi Arabia. The growth of
AQAP has led American officials to indicate that Yemen could become Al Qaeda's next operational and
training hub for the group's militants from around the world.
Formed in early 2009, AQAP has attempted to carry out multiple attacks against the United States,
including at least three failed attacks involving U.S.-bound aviation, most recently in 2012. Not limited to
foreign targets, AQAP has also plotted attacks against regional leadership, including a failed assassination
attempt on a Saudi prince serving as Deputy Minister of the Interior. These plots, though unsuccessful, have
garnered the group substantial media attention and a reputation as one of the gravest terrorist threats.

http://www.adl.org/assets/pdf/combat...13-1-11-v1.pdf

"t’s not a surprise to those who follow terror groups to find that there are several groups of foreign fighters among Al-Qaeda in Yemen, particularly because Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), which is based in Yemen, was founded in 2009 by fusing Al-Qaeda affiliates in Yemen and Al-Qaeda affiliates in Saudi Arabia into one umbrella organization."

Foreign fighters for Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula |*Yemen Times

From a 2012 report....

the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), signifying greater regional and international ambitions as the group continued to attract new members. Later that year, Al Qaeda attempted to assassinate Muhammad bin Nayif, the Saudi prince in charge of counterterrorism and, of course, on Christmas Day it put a b"… In 2009, Wuhayshi publicly welcomed several former Guantanamo Bay detainees into the organization and adopted the name Al Qaeda inomber on a plane to Detroit. Both operations failed, but the bombs hadn’t been "

Understanding Yemen’s Al Qaeda Threat | Al Qaeda In Yemen | FRONTLINE | PBS

As far as the money is concerned....

"he United States will provide Yemen with the largest amount of U.S. government assistance to date for both the civilian and security sectors,the State Department announced Tuesday.

The Obama administration will provide $337 million in assistance in the 2012 fiscal year, up from $147 million provided in the previous fiscal year, the State Department said in a news release.

The United States has an interest in ensuring stability in Yemen, which is one of the poorest countries in the Arab world and one where a democratic transition is still under way. Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), the organization's most lethal affiliate, is based in the southern portion of the country."

Feds more than double aid to Yemen – CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs

And frankly, most of the thread is responding to folks who are defending something or another instead of discussing the situation. THIS IS THE PROBLEM...we all have to defend, and my weak point is that I will respond but this is supposed to be about the situtation and not for defense of anyone or anybody.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
"U.S. President Barack Obama has demanded that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stop encouraging U.S. senators and congressmen to advance new sanctions legislation against Iran.

A senior American official, who asked to remain anonymous due to the diplomatic sensitivity of the issue, said Obama gave Netanyahu this message during a telephone call on Monday, January 12."

"Obama also warned Netanyahu not to meddle in the battle he is waging against Congress over the sanctions legislation, the official said. This warning was issued more than a week before Speaker of the House John Boehner publicly invited Netanyahu to address a joint session of Congress. Netanyahu’s address, which will take place at the height of the battle between Obama and the Republican-controlled Congress, is expected to focus on the Iranian nuclear issue and what he sees as the need to ratchet up the pressure on the Iran."

Obama to Netanyahu: Stop pushing Congress toward new sanctions on Iran - Diplomacy and Defense - Israel News | Haaretz

Wondering how our government would react if WARNED not to get involved. THIS IS THEIR LIVES.

I do understand the asking not to get involved. I DO NOT understand not meeting with him based on "long standing practice" as our leader is not big on long standing practice as we have found out.

PLEASE....I am simply responding to reply to posts, but do not want this to become P, so maybe we can talk about what is going on in the ME.
Here's a pretty good relationship timeline from the Washington Examiner:

July 2008:*Then-Sen. Obama travels to Israel as a presidential candidate, where he pledges to work on ending the Israeli-Palestinian conflict “from the minute I’m sworn into office.” Israeli officials are wary of Obama’s possible election, especially after they had established cozy ties with many in President George W. Bush’s administration. Netanyahu takes over the top Israeli post a few months later, a decade after his first term as prime minister.

June 2009:*It doesn’t take long for Obama and Netanyahu to get off to a rocky start. Obama gives a*speech in Cairo*in an attempt to make inroads with the Muslim community. The president says that the U.S. “does not accept the legitimacy of continued Israeli settlements” on land occupied during the Six-Day War in 1967, which*Palestinians*say is their territory. Obama tries to walk back his remarks, but the damage is done.

March 2010:*Vice President*Joe Biden*travels to Israel — at the same time, Israel decides to move forward with settlements on land claimed by Palestinians in East Jerusalem. The vice president rips the decision; Netanyahu counters that it wasn’t his call and Israeli-Palestinian peace talks look like even more of a long shot.

May 2011:*In what likely will go down as the most awkward Oval Office meeting of Obama’s presidency, Netanyahu*lectures the president*on why Israel cannot accept pre-1967 borders with the Palestinians. The sermon, of sorts, lasts for a painful seven minutes, as Obama quietly stews in front of the television cameras.White House*officials are furious with Netanyahu for embarrassing the president.

September 2011:*Obama comes out against the Palestinian bid for statehood at the*United Nations, which is welcomed by Netanyahu and senior Israeli officials. Netanyahu calls Obama’s statement a “badge of honor.” The president also tones down his push for Israelis to halt their disputed settlements in Palestinian territories.

September 2011:*Obama helps secure the release of Israelis trapped in the country's embassy in Cairo during an*Egyptian*protest. “This was a decisive and fateful moment,” Netanyahu says of Obama. “He said, 'I will do everything I can.' And so he did. He used every considerable means and influence of the United States to help us. We owe him a special measure of gratitude."

November 2011:*So much for the friendly talk. Obama is overheard on a hot mic at the G-20 summit in*France*mocking Netanyahu. “You’re fed up with him, but I have to deal with him every day,” Obama tells French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

September 2012:*Obama declines to meet with Netanyahu on the sidelines of a U.N. meeting in*New York. The Israelis accuse the White House of snubbing Netanyahu, while the president says it was a scheduling issue. The diplomatic squabble comes as Netanyahu says the U.S. is being too soft with*Iran.

November 2012:*Netanyahu does everything short of endorsing Republican*Mitt Romney*for the presidency, talking up the former Massachusetts governor, his former colleague at a Boston consulting firm. Obama goes on to*win the election, and both sides call for a reset in the relationship — but few people actually believe them.

March 2013:*During Obama's first presidential visit to Israel, he and Netanyahu surprisingly align on Iran’s*nuclear capabilities. "I think that there’s a misunderstanding about time,” Netanyahu says. “If Iran decides to go for a nuclear weapon — that is, to actually manufacture the weapon — then it will take them about a year.” Obama gives a similar assessment, prompting speculation that the two leaders are on better terms — or at least better at hiding how much they dislike one another.

July 2014:*Senior Obama administration officials learn that Israel has secretly been obtaining ammunition from the*Pentagon, further eroding the U.S. influence on the intensifying clash in Gaza between the Israelis and*Hamas. Israeli officials begin leaking criticisms of Secretary of State*John Kerry*over his failed attempts to produce a cease-fire.

August 2014:*Obama is forced to come to the defense of his secretary of state. "[Kerry] has endured on many occasions really unfair criticism,” Obama says. “There shouldn’t be a bunch of complaints and second-guessing about, 'well, it hasn’t happened yet,' or nitpicking before he’s had a chance to complete his efforts. Because, I tell you what, there isn’t any other country that’s going in there and making those efforts.” The next day, it’s revealed that Netanyahu told the White House "not to ever second guess me again" on how to deal with Hamas. And days later, Obama and Netanyahu have what Israeli officials describe as another “combative call.”

More lows than highs.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-town View Post
here's a pretty good relationship timeline from the washington examiner:

July 2008:*then-sen. Obama travels to israel as a presidential candidate, where he pledges to work on ending the israeli-palestinian conflict “from the minute i’m sworn into office.” israeli officials are wary of obama’s possible election, especially after they had established cozy ties with many in president george w. Bush’s administration. Netanyahu takes over the top israeli post a few months later, a decade after his first term as prime minister.

June 2009:*it doesn’t take long for obama and netanyahu to get off to a rocky start. Obama gives a*speech in cairo*in an attempt to make inroads with the muslim community. The president says that the u.s. “does not accept the legitimacy of continued israeli settlements” on land occupied during the six-day war in 1967, which*palestinians*say is their territory. Obama tries to walk back his remarks, but the damage is done.

March 2010:*vice president*joe biden*travels to israel — at the same time, israel decides to move forward with settlements on land claimed by palestinians in east jerusalem. The vice president rips the decision; netanyahu counters that it wasn’t his call and israeli-palestinian peace talks look like even more of a long shot.

May 2011:*in what likely will go down as the most awkward oval office meeting of obama’s presidency, netanyahu*lectures the president*on why israel cannot accept pre-1967 borders with the palestinians. The sermon, of sorts, lasts for a painful seven minutes, as obama quietly stews in front of the television cameras.white house*officials are furious with netanyahu for embarrassing the president.

September 2011:*obama comes out against the palestinian bid for statehood at the*united nations, which is welcomed by netanyahu and senior israeli officials. Netanyahu calls obama’s statement a “badge of honor.” the president also tones down his push for israelis to halt their disputed settlements in palestinian territories.

September 2011:*obama helps secure the release of israelis trapped in the country's embassy in cairo during an*egyptian*protest. “this was a decisive and fateful moment,” netanyahu says of obama. “he said, 'i will do everything i can.' and so he did. He used every considerable means and influence of the united states to help us. We owe him a special measure of gratitude."

november 2011:*so much for the friendly talk. Obama is overheard on a hot mic at the g-20 summit in*france*mocking netanyahu. “you’re fed up with him, but i have to deal with him every day,” obama tells french president nicolas sarkozy.

September 2012:*obama declines to meet with netanyahu on the sidelines of a u.n. Meeting in*new york. The israelis accuse the white house of snubbing netanyahu, while the president says it was a scheduling issue. The diplomatic squabble comes as netanyahu says the u.s. Is being too soft with*iran.

November 2012:*netanyahu does everything short of endorsing republican*mitt romney*for the presidency, talking up the former massachusetts governor, his former colleague at a boston consulting firm. Obama goes on to*win the election, and both sides call for a reset in the relationship — but few people actually believe them.

March 2013:*during obama's first presidential visit to israel, he and netanyahu surprisingly align on iran’s*nuclear capabilities. "i think that there’s a misunderstanding about time,” netanyahu says. “if iran decides to go for a nuclear weapon — that is, to actually manufacture the weapon — then it will take them about a year.” obama gives a similar assessment, prompting speculation that the two leaders are on better terms — or at least better at hiding how much they dislike one another.

July 2014:*senior obama administration officials learn that israel has secretly been obtaining ammunition from the*pentagon, further eroding the u.s. Influence on the intensifying clash in gaza between the israelis and*hamas. Israeli officials begin leaking criticisms of secretary of state*john kerry*over his failed attempts to produce a cease-fire.

August 2014:*obama is forced to come to the defense of his secretary of state. "[kerry] has endured on many occasions really unfair criticism,” obama says. “there shouldn’t be a bunch of complaints and second-guessing about, 'well, it hasn’t happened yet,' or nitpicking before he’s had a chance to complete his efforts. Because, i tell you what, there isn’t any other country that’s going in there and making those efforts.” the next day, it’s revealed that netanyahu told the white house "not to ever second guess me again" on how to deal with hamas. And days later, obama and netanyahu have what israeli officials describe as another “combative call.”

more lows than highs.
Not sure of the point here. YES, relations between Israel and USA are at an all time low. BUT, the Iran negotiations are more critical to Israel than anyone...would you agree ?

Not sure of the point you make. The King of Saudi who just died could not stand President Obama either which means what. Sometimes for the good of the order you just do what is right, not what is comfy and best for you personally. I have no idea of personal relations but sure hope that in order to be an ally of the USA, you have to be best buds. That might restrict our friends quite a bit.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.