Perfume and aftershave.

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2015, 03:41 PM
Gold member

Another allergy/asthma sufferer here. So just about anything with a fragrance is a no-no at our house. I hate going to the doctor's office or other public places where you have to sit by someone who just sprayed perfume on. Back when I could wear perfume/cologne I am sure I probably killed a few people along the way. You try to gently spray some on, but the sprayer has a mind of its own and drowns you.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:26 PM

I love to smell fragrance. However, there are so many folks who cannot tolerate it. Just a little bit for me when I do wear it, for those who get close enough, I agree with the poster who said it can be sexy!!! Drives me nuts when a certain man wears his Drakar on his neck......mmmmmmmm!
Old 07-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Sage

No need if you bathe at least once daily. I assume those fragrances originated to hide body ordor.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeo View Post
Another allergy/asthma sufferer here. So just about anything with a fragrance is a no-no at our house. I hate going to the doctor's office or other public places where you have to sit by someone who just sprayed perfume on. Back when I could wear perfume/cologne I am sure I probably killed a few people along the way. You try to gently spray some on, but the sprayer has a mind of its own and drowns you.
I think there is no place in the doctor's office staff for cologne or perfume. Once I was getting an EKG. The tech was loaded with perfume. She was bending over me to connect the suction cups and actually rubbed on me a few times as reaching across. I am allergic to perfume. When I was finished I reeked like her. I had to go home and change my clothes and shower. I debated as to whether to tell the doctor about it.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PammyJ View Post
I love to smell fragrance. However, there are so many folks who cannot tolerate it. Just a little bit for me when I do wear it, for those who get close enough, I agree with the poster who said it can be sexy!!! Drives me nuts when a certain man wears his Drakar on his neck......mmmmmmmm!
My other half uses Jean Paul Gaultier and I love it!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-18-2015, 07:04 AM

It is just wonderful that all you people can smell perfumes and aftershave etc and even complaint about it. I lost my sense of smell 40 years ago and would give almost anything to be able to small perfume etc. I cannot tell how much calogn I have on, or what I would smell like at the end of the day without it
Old 07-18-2015, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustybaker View Post
It is just wonderful that all you people can smell perfumes and aftershave etc and even complaint about it. I lost my sense of smell 40 years ago and would give almost anything to be able to small perfume etc. I cannot tell how much calogn I have on, or what I would smell like at the end of the day without it

oh.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustybaker View Post
Sorry you can't smell. Do you have spouse that can smell? Your not the only one suffering, I'll trade you my migraines for your none smelly nose. Perfume would be about the last thing on my smell list if I couldn't smell again. I lost all my senses for about 6 months with brain tumor except migraines from hail. So if you see someone avoiding you like the plague it's probably me.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:14 AM
Veteran member
Default perfume

I have been wearing Chanel No. 5 since I was 18 year old, now 62. I never leave the house without it. The bath soap, is so good, a bar will last for many years. Always keep the bottle in the little box it came in, and keep it in the fridge door.
I worked for Chanel for a while in the 80's Great company to work for
Old 07-19-2015, 11:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritParrothead View Post
I have been wearing Chanel No. 5 since I was 18 year old, now 62. I never leave the house without it. The bath soap, is so good, a bar will last for many years. Always keep the bottle in the little box it came in, and keep it in the fridge door.
I worked for Chanel for a while in the 80's Great company to work for

My wife (and I) also love Chanel No.5 but we tend to be favoring Hanae Mori these days. We both enjoy scents and hope we aren't offending anyone since we use small amounts. Mary even enjoys the smell of all the cut grass in TV!
Old 07-19-2015, 02:06 PM
Sage

It's tough to be scent sensitive. Problem is we go nose dead after we put on scent and a little time passes. We might not smell the perfume so more is put on and pity those around...

Strong scents give me headaches and make me dizzy. I do use scented soap and body wash. Have body lotion in the same scent and might apply a bit to moisten my skin. The fragrance seems to be mild and only noticeable to others if I get a hug from someone and so far, the scent hasn't evoked negative comments.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:31 PM
Veteran member

I used to use the "one spritz and walk" technique and still got called into HR because a co-worker complained. And it was Eau de toilette, not even perfume!

Anyway, I blame the spray bottles. I don't bother with scent these days, but after being reprimanded I switched to putting some on my finger and dabbing that behind my ears if I was going out -- but never at work!

There was a time in my 20s when I wore Tatiana by Diane von Furstenberg and must have had 10 strangers stop me to ask the name of it. Which must have also meant I was wearing too much if people sitting next to me on the bus or in line could smell it.

My ex should have been a parfumier because he recognized a ton of brands and would guess what a waitresses or the like was wearing. Not the reason we divorced, but still.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:44 AM

Love the clean, mild fragrance of Cool Water by Davidoff. Comes in both a men's and women's version. I try to wear sparingly. Certainly hope it's only detectable up close! In cold weather, I like spicy fragrances. With those it's very important to be very sparing when applying. Only a dot on the wrists or even use only the lotion or cream version. I enjoy fragrances on others, especially when you hug them hello!

Closed Thread

Tags
perfume, wear, fragrance, comments, positive, headache, smell, anymore, folks, gift, favorite, ciara, love, aftershave, allergic, give, gatherings, senses, sniff, smells, nose, par, doin, throw, complain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.