Person hating on military to high school students he teaches.

Closed Thread
Old 01-28-2018, 10:02 AM
Default Person hating on military to high school students he teaches.

He is allowed his freedom of speech but does that include the classroom? I don't know. Being ex-military and seeing some of the best people, many with advanced degrees sacrificing for others, I don't agree.

Pico Rivera councilman and El Rancho High teacher Gregory Salcido caught on video degrading military – Orange County Register

Staff - El Rancho High School

gsalcido@erusd.org

I am so close to emailing him but I don’t want to be in his inbox, I wish I could spread this to others who wouldn’t care to tell him how they feel. I don't know if that is right though, however I will give the info I found.

If I am not allowed to post this here, please just delete it, I am not such on the rules.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:34 AM

Fox News posted a recording of that fool, so I'm sure a lot of people have already emailed him. It will be interesting to see if his supervisors take any action.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,420 Times in 2,268 Posts

It's California.. Pretty much says it all..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 01-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I want YOU to know, and all others who are veterans living here, how much so many of us think of all of you. How we honor you and KNOW how your service kept us safe.

Thank you from my family and me.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi33 View Post
He is allowed his freedom of speech but does that include the classroom?

Not-So-Free Speech: 5 Limits on 1st Amendment Rights - Law and Daily Life
Old 01-28-2018, 01:00 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

When I was in high school I took American history from a teacher who was not the brightest bulb on the tree. At each class session he stood up in front of the class and essentially read the lesson he had assigned us to read as homework. At the beginning of the school year he announced that although we may have started his class as being of another political persuasion we would all be Democrats when we finished his course. He was working on getting a teachers’ union established in NM that year and was very proud of that. I imagine he wanted to protect mediocre and poor teachers such as himself.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-28-2018, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Yes freedom of speech.

However, that freedom does not entitle him to preach his belief to students. He is there to teach the curriculum.....not his beliefs.

Parents need to stop texting and emailing and confront these types face to face.

And please do not let worrying about whether you might offend him in the process be an issue.
It is one's children's exposure is the issue.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:26 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
It's California.. Pretty much says it all..
No, it really doesn’t. California has good and bad teachers, teachers who are pro-military and anti-military, Republicans and Democrats. It is a huge state with a lot of diversity.

I’m really tired of the California bashing. California is an extremely rich state in resources. It has great farmland. It has oil fields and natural gas fields. It is a forerunner in ecology. It has some pockets of extreme lunacy (think Bezerkley). It has pockets of extreme conservatism. It has given America some great politicians and some awful ones. We’ve gotten some great Supreme Court justices from California. It is not a state of lunatics nor radicals. It has some extremists but the majority of Californians are pretty normal with the same hopes, dreams and aspirations of most Americans.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-28-2018, 01:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,420 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
No, it really doesn’t. California has good and bad teachers, teachers who are pro-military and anti-military, Republicans and Democrats. It is a huge state with a lot of diversity.

I’m really tired of the California bashing. California is an extremely rich state in resources. It has great farmland. It has oil fields and natural gas fields. It is a forerunner in ecology. It has some pockets of extreme lunacy (think Bezerkley). It has pockets of extreme conservatism. It has given America some great politicians and some awful ones. We’ve gotten some great Supreme Court justices from California. It is not a state of lunatics nor radicals. It has some extremists but the majority of Californians are pretty normal with the same hopes, dreams and aspirations of most Americans.
I lived in California for the first 40 years of my life. The last five of them in the East Bay.

While a lot of what you say is true. There is no arguing that California has shifted to the left over the years. The major cities have shifted to the far left.

Granted, California is for the moment still an economic power but as policies change they become less business friendly.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 01-28-2018, 03:33 PM
TOTV Moderator

Please stay on topic and away from partisan political discussion or the thread will be closed.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
He is allowed his freedom of speech but does that include the classroom? I don't know. Being ex-military and seeing some of the best people, many with advanced degrees sacrificing for others, I don't agree.

Pico Rivera councilman and El Rancho High teacher Gregory Salcido caught on video degrading military – Orange County Register

Staff - El Rancho High School

gsalcido@erusd.org

I am so close to emailing him but I don’t want to be in his inbox, I wish I could spread this to others who wouldn’t care to tell him how they feel. I don't know if that is right though, however I will give the info I found.

If I am not allowed to post this here, please just delete it, I am not such on the rules.
So, you are asking others to do what you are not willing to do yourself. I learned long ago not to fight another person's battle.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:17 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Yes freedom of speech.

However, that freedom does not entitle him to preach his belief to students. He is there to teach the curriculum.....not his beliefs.

Parents need to stop texting and emailing and confront these types face to face.

And please do not let worrying about whether you might offend him in the process be an issue.
It is one's children's exposure is the issue.
I don't agree with the teacher at all BUT he is a high school teacher and the students should be encouraged to explore teachings other than in the books.

Two problems, though. First and foremost is that students are allowed to have camera phones in school. Phones should be banned during school hours.

Secondly, a dress code should be in place so NO sweatshirts or tee shirts with ANY graphics allowed. What is pleasing to one person may be insulting to another person.

The teacher was elected to his Counsil seat. He sounds like a jerk but he WAS elected to that post.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
So, you are asking others to do what you are not willing to do yourself. I learned long ago not to fight another person's battle.
It's not MY battle, but I always come off the wrong way. I'm paranoid after my injuries in the military. I also want to share on the forums to the best I can. This is something that I was really upset over. He can have his beliefs however to teach to children that people who join the military are the lowest of the low isn't something I believe in. I usually go overboard on my research, I just think he should apologize. I would be okay with that.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
It's not MY battle, but I always come off the wrong way. I'm paranoid after my injuries in the military. I also want to share on the forums to the best I can. This is something that I was really upset over. He can have his beliefs however to teach to children that people who join the military are the lowest of the low isn't something I believe in. I usually go overboard on my research, I just think he should apologize. I would be okay with that.
I totally understand.

As someone who worked closely with the FBI, I feel the same way when I see them attacked without any justification and see them at the center of such conspiracy theories.

The teacher was wrong........and should apologize. We seem to live in a hate filled, mean spirited country now.

The guy was dead wrong totally, and I wish we reserved some of this acrimony for teachers who abuse children sexually as well.

DWIGHT EISENHOWER (1890-1969)
The qualities of a great man are "vision, integrity, courage, understanding, the power of articulation, and profundity of character."
Old 01-29-2018, 09:59 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

It is beyond belief to me a public school high school teacher is allowed to use the foul language he used in front his class. He should be fired for that alone!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
allowed, inbox, gsalcido@erusd.org, don’t, emailing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.