Pervasive background music & sound effects in TV programs driving me crazy!

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2021, 05:02 PM
Default Pervasive background music & sound effects in TV programs driving me crazy!

I've just about given up watching many TV programs because the ubiquitous background music and neurological cacophony of sound effects is so loud that I can't understand the dialogue. Being a bit hard of hearing I use “TV ears”, but that makes it almost unbearable. It's true of movies, documentaries, PBS presentations, shows like Dateline, 20/20, 48 Hours, and even public service announcements. In other words, nearly everything we watch. I can't understand why there even has to be background noise, especially accompanying dialogue – and it can't be just me that's bothered by it. Is there anyone to complain to with any hope of being taken seriously? Just wondering/asking.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:15 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Never heard of an entity that caters to that particular issue....and it is a very long standing problem affecting an unknown amount of people with hearing issues. I'd suggest muting the sound and using subtitles. Unfortunately some subtitles do not always keep up with the dialogue being spoken and might misspell on occasion.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:34 AM
Sage

This is a long-standing problem, there are many complaints written to Heloise and Dear Annie about this so-called music. One reason we have Netflix is that they have excellent closed captioning that syncs well with the spoken dialogue. The show, "Criminal Minds" for example, was unwatchable until we tried cc.

I wonder, since it is such a common complaint, why show producers don't just soften the damn music.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

what pesters me is the increased volume of advertisements & music. like above poster states: use the mute button for ads, & cc for dialogue.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

I use close captioning all the time because of my hearing , yes I have hearing aids no I don’t wear them lol)it can take awhile to get used to it but the more you do the easier it gets, sometimes the close captioning slows down or words don’t show up , all you have to do is pull plug and let it reboot and it will be fine
Old 02-18-2021, 11:14 AM

Background sounds bother me as well. Some newer television sets have a feature to help with this. LG calls their version of this "Clear Voice", but I suspect that other TV brands have something comparable. You could also try adjusting the equalizer settings to boost the mid range frequencies and cut the bass and treble. If your TV has settings for it, you could also try boosting the center channel volume, since this is where most of the dialog occurs. Best of luck!
Old 02-18-2021, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtPierceNative View Post
Is there anyone to complain to with any hope of being taken seriously?
Nope.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

In UK I have written to the BBC on numerous occasions about background sound spoiling programs, and never had a response, so complaining does not do much good.
Being 'Mutt and Jeff' I use subtitles for anything I watch, and on many occassions what they print is a lot more entertaining and funnier than the actual show!
Old 02-18-2021, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
I've just about given up watching many TV programs because the ubiquitous background music and neurological cacophony of sound effects is so loud that I can't understand the dialogue.
I had that problem, but it was with a football game, the fake crowd noise that was added to the broadcast was so loud, I couldn't hear the announcers. The new modern TVs come with adjustments. Go into your menu and select audio. Mine is a Samsung and under audio I have 'standard', 'music', 'movie', 'clear voice' and 'amplify'. Select the different ones and see how it works for you. On my TV 'music' was the best at eliminating the background noise.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,044 Times in 5,335 Posts

Quote:
I've just about given up watching many TV programs because the ubiquitous background music and neurological cacophony of sound effects is so loud that I can't understand the dialogue. Being a bit hard of hearing I use “TV ears”, but that makes it almost unbearable. It's true of movies, documentaries, PBS presentations, shows like Dateline, 20/20, 48 Hours, and even public service announcements. In other words, nearly everything we watch. I can't understand why there even has to be background noise, especially accompanying dialogue – and it can't be just me that's bothered by it. Is there anyone to complain to with any hope of being taken seriously? Just wondering/asking.
Always wondered why the producers of these shows think the background noise enhances the experience.

My pet peeve is laugh tracks. Do not think I need one to decide if something is funny.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:59 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

The loud noise is to try and hide poor story plot, lousy acting, idiotic dialogue and horrid singing voices.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:48 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Loud Backgroung Noise

I bought a ZVOX speaker from Amazon. It brings the voices to the front and pushes all of the other "BS" to the rear. It is designed on a platform similar to a hearing aid. Good Luck Len
Closed Thread

Tags
background, effects, sound, music, understand

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.