I think this is really good and an interesting story.

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2010, 08:30 AM
Founder
Default I think this is really good and an interesting story.

Over 30 years ago Neil Sedaka wrote a song called, "Is this the way to Amarillo." It was never released in the United States. However, it was recorded in England by a pop singer named Tony Christie. It was fairly successful in England but enormously successful in the rest of Europe. Then three years ago, it was released as part of a comedy fundraiser and it zoomed to the top of the charts and has stayed cemented in the British culture. If you have about six minutes, you may enjoy watching these two videos. The second one, which I enjoy most, has been viewed worldwide tens of millions of times. The second video was viewed so many times in England, that it crash the military server, where it wasn't intended to be in the first place. I wonder why this song never made it in the US.

The first is Tony Christie performing this wonderful song, the second is a spoof done by some British Dragoon guards being playful just before returning home from Iraq. Actually if you want to just watch the second video, you'll see the spoof and hear the great song. In the first, you'll actually see Tony Christie singing it.

Video number 1. Tony Christie: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSadVkKMk4A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSadVkKMk4A[/ame]

Video number 2. Royal Dragoon Guards in Iraq: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPaRQ1BYjzU[/ame]

God Bless all of the troops protecting our freedom.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Second video is very cute!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Veteran member

This is a song we have had on our juke box for many years. Great to get a party going! All ages know the words for a 'singalong'
Old 09-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Taltarzac

Can't say that I have ever heard that song on an American radio nor anywhere on TV.

Those guys on the Johns was quite a surprise in the second video.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Default Thanks for the Video!

Even though I thought I knew all the old Neil Sedaka songs this is a new one to me as well.

As a preteen, I had a mad crush on Neil (along with at least a million other young girls) and even though he was no longer popular when I was a teen, today I can still recall the lyrics to all his old songs ........which is not the case with all those British and American male rock groups that were popular during my high school and college years.

As a adult, I had the privilege of seeing NS in concert and he still possessed that wonderfully melodious voice as well as though adorable chipmunk cheeks!

How lucky were we young girls from that era to have such talented male performers as Neil Sedaka, Frankie Avalon, Paul Anaka, Bobby Rydell, Bobby Vee (and others) for our "first" crush!

They may have disappeared from the charts long ago........but their music still sings in my heart!
Annabelle.......in Wonderland!
Old 09-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Default very cute

Enjoyed the video...tho I hadn't ever heard the song before!!
Old 09-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueHeronFan

Now there is an act for the squares.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHeronFan View Post
Now there is an act for the squares.
Yes, and they would pick out Villagers from the chairs to get up and prance around the square to the music. These Villagers would picking out other Villagers to join and march and sing the catchy tune.

Is this the way to Amarillo
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.