More Transparency of this Message Board Needed

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2022, 09:00 AM
Default More Transparency of this Message Board Needed

Does anyone know who manages this forum and if there is a way to contact them directly? I think it would be good for there to be some accountability for those who moderate what people can say on a public platform.
Old 10-26-2022, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,306 Times in 2,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeCurmudgeon View Post
Does anyone know who manages this forum and if there is a way to contact them directly? I think it would be good for there to be some accountability for those who moderate what people can say on a public platform.
I'm sure someone does know who manages this forum.

There is a "Contact Us" button at the bottom of the page that may be useful to you.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-26-2022, 09:13 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Old 10-26-2022, 09:16 PM
Veteran member

Someone told a friend of a friend that a guy named George bought this forum along with many others. I have no idea what that even means. I must be very naive.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

So I did a little digging. ToTV has a heirarchy, and in the middle of the tre is Joseph Petersen, the Sales and Somethingorother Manager I wrote it down by hand and can't read my own writing.

The headquarters is at 350 Tatonka Ter, which is actually an internal road that runs through the Charter School campus. So that indidates to me that Talk of theVillages is owned by The Villages - either developer, holding corporation, llc, or whatever other of their 48 other cells in their corproration they use for various services.

They have another headquarter address, 7935 Airport Pulling Road North, in Naples. I find that pretty strange, but everyone needs a hobby and looking stuff up is mine.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,143 Times in 829 Posts

I hate to tell you, but this is not a public forum, it is a private business. There is no free speech here. The moderators can censor you anytime they wish and you have no recourse. It is their business and you may wish to be able to contest how they operate their business, but you will have to do it elsewhere.

They have given us rules which they can enforce or not enforce, interpret or adjust as they see fit, on a whim or with careful consideration.

You can play on their playground as long as they let you, and you can take your toys and go home if you are unhappy.

Knowing their names or where they live makes no difference unless you feel the need to personally intimidate or attack the ownership. If you wish to thank them for doing the work and charging you nothing to visit this website, you can do it here any time you wish.

It is more than a bit ironic that someone clamoring for more transparency is not telling us his/her real identity.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I hate to tell you, but this is not a public forum, it is a private business. There is no free speech here. The moderators can censor you anytime they wish and you have no recourse. It is their business and you may wish to be able to contest how they operate their business, but you will have to do it elsewhere.

They have given us rules which they can enforce or not enforce, interpret or adjust as they see fit, on a whim or with careful consideration.

You can play on their playground as long as they let you, and you can take your toys and go home if you are unhappy.

Knowing their names or where they live makes no difference unless you feel the need to personally intimidate or attack the ownership. If you wish to thank them for doing the work and charging you nothing to visit this website, you can do it here any time you wish.

It is more than a bit ironic that someone clamoring for more transparency is not telling us his/her real identity.
Thanks to the owners of Talk of the Villages. Talk Host and Tony used to visit the TOTV Friday afternoon meetings at Crispers but they and whoever else sold their interests. This is a very good site for information about the Villages. You do have to do some digging though.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by affald View Post
Someone told a friend of a friend that a guy named George bought this forum along with many others. I have no idea what that even means. I must be very naive.
Lol, was his last name Orwell?

After reading "Blueash's" response, I get the suspicion (s)he is involved in the ownership or management org chart.
Old 10-27-2022, 02:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post

After reading "Blueash's" response, I get the suspicion (s)he is involved in the ownership or management org chart.
Involved or not involved, she was spot on.
Old 10-27-2022, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,583 Times in 1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeCurmudgeon View Post
Public forum? Well, the public uses it but the forum itself is privately owned. They can do pretty much what they want, irritating though it is at times.

My personal opinion is that they do a pretty good job overall. I was an online "sheriff" for AOL back in its heyday (few years before Y2K to just after), and you learn pretty quickly that any controversy you involve yourself in becomes unmanageable in a very short time. Best to do your job and keep quiet: don't involve yourself in personal conversation or (even worse) in online discussion about any complaint a subscriber has. Subscribers could air their complaints to the online supervisor who would discuss the issue with the AOL employee involved and then get back to the person making the complaint.

Last edited by ThirdOfFive; 10-27-2022 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-28-2022, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Public forum? Well, the public uses it but the forum itself is privately owned. They can do pretty much what they want, irritating though it is at times.

My personal opinion is that they do a pretty good job overall. I was an online "sheriff" for AOL back in its heyday (few years before Y2K to just after), and you learn pretty quickly that any controversy you involve yourself in becomes unmanageable in a very short time. Best to do your job and keep quiet: don't involve yourself in personal conversation or (even worse) in online discussion about any complaint a subscriber has. Subscribers could air their complaints to the online supervisor who would discuss the issue with the AOL employee involved and then get back to the person making the complaint.
Same here, moderated Atari boards ad early as the 300 baud dial up days ;-)

They do a fine job but are more hands off than I would be taking topics so far off topic.

But it is their house and people need to respect their rules.
Old 10-28-2022, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,642 Times in 1,513 Posts

Private business means their rules. My home, my rules. Your home, your rules. If one does not agree, they don't have to visit. If they get disturbed by the owner's rules, then they can leave any time and no one will complain. It's a case of "in my house, I make the rules."
Clear enough?
Old 10-28-2022, 12:56 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
So that indidates to me that Talk of theVillages is owned by The Villages - either developer, holding corporation, llc, or whatever other of their 48 other cells in their corproration they use for various services.
Nope.
Old 10-28-2022, 01:47 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post

BlueAsh escalated this pretty quickly. Wonder if he has a history with the OP
Old 10-28-2022, 01:50 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post

YOU were an aol moderator? I have a bone to pick with you (What does that even mean?). Back in 1992 I was suspended for 7 days for ... .
Closed Thread

Tags
good, accountability, moderate, people, public

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.